Wednesday, June 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Evan Strong & Roy Campanella broke barriers representing this brand

Megan Wachspress: 11600+0=11600 (2x = $28,801)
Gregory Scruggs: 1000-998=2
Peggy Gibbons: 5400-1000=4400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Wheaties (Gregory – Louisville Slugger) (Peggy – Adidas)

Daily Doubles
Gregory: 3400-1800
Gregory: 4200+3000
Gregory: 9200-5000

Coryats
Megan: 11600
Gregory: 5600
Peggy: 5400

Combined: 22,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Megan: 4800
Gregory: 600
Peggy: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double digit Ws and double digit TS clues lead to a low Combined Coryat and an unplayed clue.

Gregory went 1/4 on wagering clues and that is not the way to play a second game.

BRANDS had me not liking it as my .470 in LL for Business/Economy would indicate.

Oh, its sports? Much better, as I matched Megan. MJ is on the package I used as part of an evening snack on Monday.

If DJ! 30 had played perhaps Peggy could have broke the lock, but it would not have changed the outcome. Nice enough title defense by Megan to give another notch for beating a superchamp and playing at least a third game.

Another news team category. So dang wordy, :roll:
PGibbons
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PGibbons »

Hi, I'm Peggy from today's game.

I can't say much yet as it hasn't aired for me locally but I will be happy to answer questions after 8:00 Eastern.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:43 pm Oh, its sports? Much better, as I matched Megan. MJ is on the package I used as part of an evening snack on Monday.
This brand seems to come up frequently across various trivia endeavors. However in this case not knowing didn't affect the contestant's winnings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

27/1 (Milwaukee kept me from a perfect board), 21/0
trash: Mavericks, palm, lichen, Shaolin, wolfram, waveform, zombies :o
betting clues: :D (easy) :D :D (c'mon, branch of Goths that went west to Iberia?) :mrgreen:
first thought of Cola-Cola, easily corrected in time.
Not quite enough for a fourth podium win (assumIng champ would bet to cover). :|
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lach trash.

no shame in DD wager 2.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

PGibbons wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:25 pm Hi, I'm Peggy from today's game.
Welcome, Peggy! Congrats on your appearance.

I shuffled only through sporting goods brands for FJ, so I was never gonna get there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Said Lew Alcindor (his name when he was drafted and won the championship) just to imagine the host having to look for clarification.

Sometimes hitting the DDs is not a good thing.

Instaget on FJ. It doesn’t seem to be advertised as much as it once was, maybe that made it tougher for the players.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a couple clues in TV Monsters.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
PGibbons
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PGibbons »

There was a lot of stopping tape on this episode which really affected the flow of the game. We had three in Double Jeopardy alone including a very long break to determine when the tape stopped to decide exactly when my correct answer of The Cider House Rules happened. It was after a tape stoppage so it could not be counted and then I did not recover. It was a disappointment but those are the rules. I was upset with myself for the Juba answer - I knew I was wrong as I said it but the brain mixed it up.

FJ was tough for me- Wheaties is not a thing here but I know it from Jeopardy so I should have gotten there but my brain was not incentivized by the lockout situation.

Congratulations to Megan though - she was very focused and calm in the storm which may not happen every game but is out there so you need it in the back pocket. I could not maintain the same level of focus she did in the face of an intense game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

PGibbons wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 pm There was a lot of stopping tape on this episode which really affected the flow of the game. We had three in Double Jeopardy alone including a very long break to determine when the tape stopped to decide exactly when my correct answer of The Cider House Rules happened. It was after a tape stoppage so it could not be counted and then I did not recover. It was a disappointment but those are the rules. I was upset with myself for the Juba answer - I knew I was wrong as I said it but the brain mixed it up.

FJ was tough for me- Wheaties is not a thing here but I know it from Jeopardy so I should have gotten there but my brain was not incentivized by the lockout situation.

Congratulations to Megan though - she was very focused and calm in the storm which may not happen every game but is out there so you need it in the back pocket. I could not maintain the same level of focus she did in the face of an intense game.
Welcome, Peggy and thanks for the insight.

I suspect that this FJ is probably a bit easier for those of us of a certain age. :) One of the facts in my head about BDZ is that she was the first female athlete to appear on a Wheaties box (although neither the first woman (aviator Elinor Smith) nor the first woman to appear on the front (Mary Lou Retton)).
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:37 pm

I shuffled only through sporting goods brands for FJ, so I was never gonna get there.
Yes, I missed the point of the 3 names - didn't know who Evan Strong is - and assumed "broke barriers" meant being better athletes, hitting a golf ball longer or something...(Yes, I knew Campanella played baseball...I thought I was missing the obvious brand that makes gloves and golf balls.) Pretty clueless, I admit, but "broke barriers" doesn't mean much in this context, does it? Sure, they took the money that recognized their excellence, but "were firsts" is a little more straightforward...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

PGibbons wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 pm There was a lot of stopping tape on this episode which really affected the flow of the game. We had three in Double Jeopardy alone including a very long break to determine when the tape stopped to decide exactly when my correct answer of The Cider House Rules happened. It was after a tape stoppage so it could not be counted and then I did not recover. It was a disappointment but those are the rules. I was upset with myself for the Juba answer - I knew I was wrong as I said it but the brain mixed it up.

Congrats, Peggy on making the show and recovering from some jitters (walk softly, lol...). I thought pulling Lagos as a former Capital was a good get.
I was going to comment on how Mayim seemed to be getting more command of the show and now it seems to be editing. She seemed to rule decisively on the pronunciation of Saarinen which you promptly rebounded. I didn't hear that Gregory butchered it up that much and it seemed like a quick rejection. Did that go down in real time that way?
I also thought Mayim gave a very fast negative for Ramona Quimby. I still don't know why that is wrong, and why Gregory wasn't required to give a last name (since it isn't Quimby). Assuming the rulings are correct, did this also occur in real time?
Sorry you did not get a better board for your game, but you played well, and your honeymoon trip was a success. I thought in-person interviews ended with Covid - are they back, or was this a long time ago?

For the record, Evan Strong is a paralympian (snowboard), and I assume Roy Campanella was the first black athlete on the Wheaties box. This seems like a very anachronistic product, maybe it should be in the Cod Liver Oil section at the supermarket. It is an easy question for Boomers, understandably tougher for after-Boomers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:35 pm

Yes, I missed the point of the 3 names - didn't know who Evan Strong is - and assumed "broke barriers" meant being better athletes, hitting a golf ball longer or something...(Yes, I knew Campanella played baseball...I thought I was missing the obvious brand that makes gloves and golf balls.) Pretty clueless, I admit, but "broke barriers" doesn't mean much in this context, does it? Sure, they took the money that recognized their excellence, but "were firsts" is a little more straightforward...
Campanella was one of the first players from the Negro Leagues to play in the major leagues. He may have been (not certain) the first black catcher in MLB. He was a three time MVP. His career ended when he became a quadriplegic after an automobile accident.

So he certainly broke barriers in baseball.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

While the two ladies stood silent, Gregory appeared to repeatedly attempt to buzz in on DJ 21, the clue about zombies. I wonder what happened there?
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:00 am
davey wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:35 pm

Campanella was one of the first players from the Negro Leagues to play in the major leagues. He may have been (not certain) the first black catcher in MLB. He was a three time MVP. His career ended when he became a quadriplegic after an automobile accident.

So he certainly broke barriers in baseball.
I'm not saying he didn't. I'm saying getting his picture on a box required less effort. He'd done the hard part.