Thursday, June 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss »

I couldn't come up with the title in time, but I wanted to guess "The Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove. I knew it came out around that time (though it was actually 1992), and was pretty confident. Alas, wrong. It's not even part of a series (though Turtledove wrote many other alt-histories of the Civil War).

Great game overall. I was pulling for Steve, but Sarah's late comeback was super exciting, and Megan's very good.
TimMierz

Post by TimMierz »

My wrong guess for Final was The Pillars of the Earth, which I thought I knew was historical fiction from sometime in the 90s (I was off by 2 years - 1989) but I mostly knew from the 2006 board game adaptation which I still enjoy to this day.

Amusingly, if you Google "moebius twist", all but one of the first page of results now references that Final clue directly. I don't think that the phrase necessarily implies time travel, just that things may come together in unexpected ways. But I know nothing of the correct answer, maybe there's more relevance than I think.

I too hastily said "Borzoi" when I saw there was a dog with the name B____i, without thinking at all that the rest of the clue didn't fit at all.

Poor Sarah at the end of Classic Cars. James Bond car, obviously must be Aston Martin! Oh, no, $1600 gone, and the lead gone right before final. Gotta guess this next one. Okay, now the rebound, a luxury British car from the '60s with a two-part name, here's Aston Martin! Oh, no, $2000 gone. Tough luck.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TimMierz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:16 am
Poor Sarah at the end of Classic Cars. James Bond car, obviously must be Aston Martin! Oh, no, $1600 gone, and the lead gone right before final. Gotta guess this next one. Okay, now the rebound, a luxury British car from the '60s with a two-part name, here's Aston Martin! Oh, no, $2000 gone. Tough luck.
Worse yet, the A-H badge looks a lot like the AM badge, especially from a distance and on the monitor, I'd bet. So, if you don't know that AM isn't hyphenated, it'll suck you in.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Is there a particular reason this series is associated with Moebius strips?
da Doctah
Valued Contributor

Post by da Doctah »

Leander wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:43 pm I got to this FJ fairly easily, maybe due to some family members’ interest in the Netflix version of the book series. I was a bit nervous though, since I would have guessed the first book came out about 10 years later than 1991.
I too got the FJ with near-zero confidence; probably helped because I've met the author a couple of times (Mom was a fan, not me).

Anyone suppose the inclusion of a Bette Midler clue was supposed to be a nod to the fact that Mayim appeared as the younger version of her characer in the movie "Beaches"? I keep watching for references to her acting career and the people she's worked with (still on the lookout for a Melissa Manchester clue, her mom in ten episodes of "Blossom").
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:45 pm Sarah was +6000 on DD2 and DD3 and still trailed for the FJ! round thanks to twice failing to find a place for Aston Martin. If Sarah had led and Steve trailed then I wonder how the wagering would have gone.
Interesting to note, Steve was banging away at the buzzer on the clue reveal but did NOT go for the rebound on the Lotus clue meaning he was going to try A-M as well.
Assuming he gets in first, that knocks him down to 14,600 (to Sarah's 17,000) and she does not go for the rebound...

That's an insane what if right there... Golf?
mikebdoss wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:27 am I couldn't come up with the title in time, but I wanted to guess "The Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove. I knew it came out around that time (though it was actually 1992), and was pretty confident. Alas, wrong. It's not even part of a series (though Turtledove wrote many other alt-histories of the Civil War).
This freaking board... NBA finals delayed me a day yet I still can't even be the first with a Turtledove shoutout...
Austin Powers wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:18 pm Is there a particular reason this series is associated with Moebius strips?
It's not necessarily Moebius strips, it's* more the aspect of progressing to where you started from.

(*I'm guessing, not being familiar with the book or TV series...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hotel Transylvania 3 (8), The Devil is a Woman (6), Sorry to Bother You (7), American Animals (8)
davey

Post by davey »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:18 pm Is there a particular reason this series is associated with Moebius strips?
I'd say the connection to Moebius, whatever it is, is far more tenuous than the book title that was connected to a 14th C. work last week, and set off so much whining. This is the one I'm inclined to moan about. (I missed them both.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Jacques Offenbach, last legs, Bette Midler, Muscle Shoals, Lotus

No chance for me on this FJ!

My wife was sitting three feet away from me watching Parks & Rec clips when the Ron Swanson clue came on.

Mayim missed a golden opportunity for a great quip. After the Bette Midler/The Rose clue, she should have said something to the effect of, "it's not my favorite of her movies, but it's pretty good."
Sprinkles are for winners.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

How refreshing to have a J! contestant who can handle a little algebra and wager accordingly!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Megan should be president since she can remember Obama's name.

I would have stood pat on FJ. Debut novels? Not going to risk my 10000+.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.