Friday, June 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:04 pm Not getting the wagering. Megan lets Molly back in the game and falls below Sadie’s MSBIW on a miss. Then Sadie doesn’t cover second place.
9200 doubled is 18400. Sadie has 9800. To get to 18401 is 8601. If Sadie loses 8601 she has 1199.

Megan bet 7999. If she misses she has (no surprise by her 4th game) 1201.

There's a third player? Not Megan's problem.

As for Sadie's bet? She would have had 17300 and been enough based on Megan's betting pattern.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:04 pm Not getting the wagering. Megan lets Molly back in the game and falls below Sadie’s MSBIW on a miss. Then Sadie doesn’t cover second place.
9200 doubled is 18400. Sadie has 9800. To get to 18401 is 8601. If Sadie loses 8601 she has 1199.

Megan bet 7999. If she misses she has (no surprise by her 4th game) 1201.

There's a third player? Not Megan's problem.

As for Sadie's bet? She would have had 17300 and been enough based on Megan's betting pattern.
Thanks. That’s what I get trying to do math in my head after a week of working nights.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:04 pm Cringed a bit on the Lou Gehrig clue.
Not Man O’ War. :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Could not get the bottom two in Quotable Movie.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had to play this off the archive (thanks, Mark!) because of golf. I'm pretty sure it's "Leibowitz", not "Leibovitz".

I feel for Sadie, but she really has no one to blame but herself. All she had to write were six letters, and I'd be hard pressed to identify more than three or four of the letters if I didn't already know what she meant. It's not as if it's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

For some reason, I always get "There Will Be Blood" confused with "No Country for Old Men". I didn't see either movie and they came out around the same time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It would be funny if Sadie thought the last name had 2 Ns and the judges only ruled her incorrect because she was still working the pen after the 30 seconds had elapsed?

For those who want the ToC field locked and/or the SCT participants revealed? Would not any kind of that news spoil in some way the final six weeks of the season?

gameshowfandanny: Any update about J! hosts in July?
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:40 pm It would be funny if Sadie thought the last name had 2 Ns and the judges only ruled her incorrect because she was still working the pen after the 30 seconds had elapsed?

For those who want the ToC field locked and/or the SCT participants revealed? Would not any kind of that news spoil in some way the final six weeks of the season?

Unfortunately, I have no updates because my Xfinity listings show placeholders starting July 4.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:40 pm It would be funny if Sadie thought the last name had 2 Ns and the judges only ruled her incorrect because she was still working the pen after the 30 seconds had elapsed?

Unfortunately, I have no updates because my Xfinity listings show placeholders starting July 4.
Okay, thanks. For S2 in your other thread go with Dec. 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 16 & 17 to end the season.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:44 pm
The FJ! clue had me match no one as I wrote last name only and if Sadie had done that or even just initialized the first name or even spelled the first name correctly, probably would have won. Sadie had the wrong time to go for a full response with the clock winding down.

Sadie's response:
Spoiler
Going for both first and last name was only one of Sadie's FJ mistakes. As you said, if she had spelled Harriet with only one finishing "t" she might have had enough time to finish "Tubman." Mistake #2.

And of course she didn't wager enough to cover a doubling bet by the returning champ. Mistake #3.

Really sad finish after a solid, strong game.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:49 pm I had to play this off the archive (thanks, Mark!) because of golf. I'm pretty sure it's "Leibowitz", not "Leibovitz".

I feel for Sadie, but she really has no one to blame but herself. All she had to write were six letters, and I'd be hard pressed to identify more than three or four of the letters if I didn't already know what she meant. It's not as if it's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

For some reason, I always get "There Will Be Blood" confused with "No Country for Old Men". I didn't see either movie and they came out around the same time.
It is indeed "A Canticle for Leibowitz"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

ACW wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:32 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 pm Wow... I don't know what to say. A case can be made that there is an "n" there. There must be more we don't know...

Just wow...
Even if there wasn't, isn't there enough to know what she was trying for, or do they not accept that?

I don't think the first name is the issue (I'm pretty sure in THAT case it's fine).
You may or may not recall a Kids Week game a few years ago. A young girl gave a response for FJ of "Who was Bejamin (sic) Franklin?"

She also would have been counted correct if she had only given the last name. And even though EVERYONE knew what she was trying to write, they counted her wrong because the misspelling of the name changed the pronunciation of the name. That's the standard they always apply, and that poor kid got negged. Seemed harsh but it was what the rules say.

So no, you can't say "you know what she was trying to write."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I had the right first name, but wrong last name (Stowe). Also, why was Sadie cut off by Mayim on her autopay/autopsy answer. She started before the beep and (I don't think) hadn't said anything wrong yet.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I don't really understand why Sadie was ruled against. It looked like Tubman to me... or, upon looking more closely, it looked like T-U-B-M, followed by two indistinct scribbles that could reasonably be read as an A and an N.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Megan and Molly get it right, and I said, "Finally! A triple get!". Oops!

Molly looked like after they negged Sadie that she thought she had won for a second.

I'm not sure how I would have ruled on that one. A case could be made that it was just a careless last three letters, but I know they've ruled against those before.
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:49 pm For some reason, I always get "There Will Be Blood" confused with "No Country for Old Men". I didn't see either movie and they came out around the same time.
I wish I knew the reason, because I do that too even though I've seen both.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

ACW wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:07 pm
TimMierz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pmTenochtitlan pronunciation nitpicking
I probably would pronounced the CH as a K.
me too from the Germans but regardless, the point is about the 3 T's.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

That sure looked like Sadie's response was Tubman to me...

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets invited back for another try in the future.

Meanwhile, in the Renovation category... I don't think I've ever heard of "farmhouse sink"... and I am sure I've never heard of the term "subway tile".
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:38 pm I wouldn't be surprised if she gets invited back for another try in the future.
Seems like it's been quite some time since a contestant got invited back due to error. I'm sure somebody here has the answer though.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The last contestant to be invited back because of an error was Vincent Valenzuela in 2018 because he was disadvantaged by a Final Jeopardy! clue because he saw on the clue board “his” instead of “this”.
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:45 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:38 pm I wouldn't be surprised if she gets invited back for another try in the future.
Seems like it's been quite some time since a contestant got invited back due to error. I'm sure somebody here has the answer though.
Why would they ever acknowledge an error here? Unless America's handwriting analysts rise up... :)
davey

Post by davey »

TimMierz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm Lots of tough breaks and odd judging in there. Besides the Harriet Tubman scribble (which I know I would have counted, but I can sort of understand why they didn't), there's the Tenochtitlan pronunciation nitpicking but then Bizet being accepted when rhyming with "jet". Just left an odd taste in my mouth.
Those rulings are consistent with J! practice. She left out a t in the first one, and pronounced a t that is there in the second one. They don't require players to know the pronunciation rules of other languages.