Wednesday, May 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6368, 2012-05-02

2012 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Elyse Mancuso, a junior from Omaha, Nebraska
Catherine Briley, a senior from Grand Prairie, Louisiana
Krishna Bharathala, a sophomore from Fremont, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Although we have more juniors in our Teen Tournament competing this year, we have one of each today in Krishna, Catherine, and Elyse. That's kind of nice--balanced. Good luck. let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And see how well you three will do with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FINE ARTS (5/5)
LAUGH LINES (3/5)
SCRAMBLED FRUITS (5/5)
BACK IN THE 20th CENTURY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
VISUAL LANGUAGE (5/5)
IT'S NOT A MESS, IT'S A COLLECTION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elyse: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Catherine: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Krishna: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Catherine: $3,200
Elyse: $1,400
Krishna: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Elyse Mancuso is a 16-year-old junior from Omaha, Nebraska, who finally got her first kiss, but it was a different kiss.

Elyse: It was from a sea lion.

[Laughter]

Elyse: Um... uh, when--a couple years ago, I was at the Boston Aquarium with my dad, and we went to see the sea lion show, and we won a raffle and got to go up and, um, see--see the sea lions do some tricks, and feed them some fish, and one of them kissed me on the cheek.

Alex: Ah. Okay. Good experience.

Alex: Catherine Briley is from Grand Prairie, Louisiana. Now there are consequences when we are crowned "miss so-and-so" or we receive some kind of a positive designation. You were named "most intelligent", and what happened on that day?

Catherine: Well, to begin the day, I showed up to school with one sock on...

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Catherine: Uh, and then, later that day, I walked into a pole that has been there all four years--cut my head. Then they laughed when they named me "most intelligent".

Alex: Yes, I'm sure they did. Okay.

Alex: Krishna Bharathala is the youngest player in our Teen Tournament this year. He's only 15 years old, but listen to this. He and his, uh, friends have developed what?

Krishna: It's a breathing apparatus that's made out of algae. So basically what it does is the algae photosynthesizes and makes oxygen for you to breathe.

Alex: And you are aiming this particularly for space exploration suits?

Krishna: Right, 'cause right now they use oxygen tanks which are expensive and bulky, so if they go into space with something natural and easy to replenish, it's much better.

Alex: But can these natural elements flourish in outer space, where there's no atmosphere?

Krishna: Well, there'll be, um, ex--uh, internal forces that are inside the suit that will keep it going for you to breathe.

Alex: Is there still a little more work to do on this?

Krishna: Uh, s-seems so, doesn't it?

Alex: Yeah. Okay. [Laughs] But that's all right. I'm amazed that you guys are working on this at all.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catherine found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Krishna had $1,000, Catherine had $4,000, and Elyse was at $2,000. Catherine wagered $1,000.

BACK IN THE 20th CENTURY $1000: On March 20, 1952 this country's supreme court declared voter segregation unconstitutional, but it continued
(Catherine: What is Pakistan?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAUGH LINES $800: This Jon Heder character, when told he needs key chains: "I already made like infinity of those at scout camp"

LAUGH LINES $1000: Emma Stone in "Crazy Stupid Love" on seeing this actor shirtless: "It's like you're photoshopped"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Elyse: $6,800
Catherine: $3,600
Krishna: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HEALTH & MEDICINE (4/5)
RHYME TIME (5/5)
BOOK LEARNIN' (4/5)
U.S. GOVERNMENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VISITING THE BOSTON AREA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOUR 2012 HIT PARADERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elyse: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Catherine: 9 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Krishna: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catherine snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Krishna had $3,400, Catherine had $6,000, and Elyse was at $12,000. Catherine wagered $3,000.

VISITING THE BOSTON AREA $800: A circle of cobblestones in front of the Old State House commemorates this 1770 clash in which 5 were killed

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Catherine who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Krishna had $3,400, Catherine had $10,200, and Elyse was at $13,200. Catherine wagered $2,800.

U.S. GOVERNMENT $1200: The Constitution defines this crime as "levying war" against the United States or giving enemies "aid and comfort"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOK LEARNIN' $2000: Want to know how it was for a European woman running an African coffee plantation in the 1920s? Read this 1937 book
(Krishna: What is Gone with the Wind?)
(Alex: What is [*] by Isak Dinesen?)

VISITING THE BOSTON AREA $1600: It's hard to miss this monument honoring colonists who died in a 1775 battle--it's 221 feet high

VISITING THE BOSTON AREA $2000: One way to see the world is inside the Mapparium at the library of this woman, the founder of Christian Science

HEALTH & MEDICINE $1200: Per its label, the topical medicine Vicks VapoRub aims to suppress this cold symptom
(Catherine: Uh, what are runny noses?)
(Krishna: What are stuffy noses?)

YOUR 2012 HIT PARADERS $1600: "Turn Me On": this French DJ, with a big assist from Nicki Minaj

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Elyse: $19,600
Catherine: $11,000
Krishna: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CALENDARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Elyse: Wager $2,401 to cover Catherine, but no more than $3,999 so as not to fall behind Krishna's doubled score.
Catherine: You have the hope of surpassing Elyse if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,601 to force Elyse to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Krishna.
Krishna: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 12 beasts representing years in the Chinese calendar, the one not biologically related to any creature on earth

FINAL SCORES
Krishna: $7,800 + $7,201 = $15,001 (What is the dragon?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Catherine: $11,000 + $10,000 = $21,000 (What is dragon?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Elyse: $19,600 + $3,000 = $22,600 (What is a dragon?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Elyse: $19,600, 22 R, 0 W
Catherine: $8,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Krishna: $7,800, 12 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Elyse: 23/58 = .397
Catherine: 19/61 = .311
Krishna: 13/58 = .224
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FINE ARTS $800: It's the musical work that contains the chorus heard here

[choir]
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

FINE ARTS $200: In traditional productions of "Swan Lake", Odile's tutu is this color
(Krishna: What is white?)
(Alex: She's the bad one.)

FINE ARTS $400: One of the three tenors, he taught elementary school before becoming an opera star
(Krishna: Who is Placido Domingo?)

BACK IN THE 20th CENTURY $600: In 1991 the Soviet Union ceased to exist after his Christmas Day resignation as president
(Krishna: Who is Yeltsin?)

VISUAL LANGUAGE $200: A pedestrian crossing sign from this nation is seen here

VISUAL LANGUAGE $400: It's winter in Norway, and a sign alerts us to a trail for these vehicles ahead

VISUAL LANGUAGE $600: An iconic restaurant sign is seen here in this language

VISUAL LANGUAGE $800: Our next stop is a village in this U.K. country

VISUAL LANGUAGE $1000: Da, it's the alphabet used on the poster seen here

RHYME TIME $1600: Irons one's gowns & frocks
(Krishna: What is [*] one's [*]? ...or [*]?)

U.S. GOVERNMENT $1600: In Texas David Dewhurst holds this job, so he takes over when Rick Perry is out of state
(Catherine: What is governor?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
South Africa
Napoleon Dynamite
Ryan Gosling
the Boston Massacre
treason
Out of Africa
the Bunker Hill Monument
Mary Baker Eddy
a cough
David Guetta
the dragon
Handel's Messiah
black
(Luciano) Pavarotti
Gorbachev
Italy
snowmobiles
Arabic
Wales
Cyrillic
presses dresses
lieutenant governor
ihsh
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ihsh »

FJ! was an instaget for me (what else could it be?). :)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Scrambled Fruits in the first round reminds me of a 1978 episode of Joker's Wild where Mixed Fruits was one of the categories. The contestants had trouble unscrambling them several times. But Joker's Wild didn't always have the caliber of contestants J! has.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Overall, this was a pretty good game to watch.

FJ had me mentally compiling a list of zodiac animals, reaching the correct response by the midway point.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember all 12 animals, so time to brush up on that (with a clue this easy, I had to challenge/amuse myself somehow).

What's with the 3000 wagers?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Calendars
Of the 12 beasts representing years in the Chinese calendar, the one not biologically related to any creature on earth.
Spoiler
What is the dragon?
Elyse Mancuso: $19,600+$3,000=$22,600
Catherine Briley: $11,000+$10,000=$21,000
Krishna Bharathala: $7,800+$7,201=$15,001
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I think I only managed 58/60 tonight, plus an instaget FJ. Spaced on butterflies, and didn't know the French DJ. 2 more chances this week, or I'll have to wait for the next Kids Week.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I remember in some past years, the teen tournament has been insultingly easy. This year, though understandably easier than a regular board, I find it to be very well-written with a reasonable level of difficulty for high schoolers.

I'm curious about the Bunker Hill question. It was obvious to me, because I could see the monument from my house growing up, but is it really something that people outside of Boston would be expected to know about? I was not surprised that it was a TS.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:Krishna Bharathala: $7,800+$7,201=$15,001
Wow, I have a feeling he's going to regret holding back that $600, based on the current standings.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

soxfan99 wrote:I'm curious about the Bunker Hill question. It was obvious to me, because I could see the monument from my house growing up, but is it really something that people outside of Boston would be expected to know about? I was not surprised that it was a TS.
I had no idea such a monument existed, but it was still my guess. 1775 battle in Boston with no other TOM? Worth the shot.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

soxfan99 wrote:
I'm curious about the Bunker Hill question. It was obvious to me, because I could see the monument from my house growing up, but is it really something that people outside of Boston would be expected to know about? I was not surprised that it was a TS.
I figured that because of the height, it was going to be something related to Bunker Hill, but I don't know that I have ever heard the specific words "Bunker Hill Monument" so I kept quiet. If it had been a DD, I may have guessed something similar to that, but for a regular clue I had no idea what exactly the answer would be.
marpocky wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Krishna Bharathala: $7,800+$7,201=$15,001
Wow, I have a feeling he's going to regret holding back that $600, based on the current standings.
I haven't seen Tuesday's FJ yet, but based on Monday's scores I was thinking the same thing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Visual Language seemed upside down. That McDonald's sign could've been any languge to my eyes.

Also 0/5 in Book Learning. Precalled Lame-FAO, er, LMFAO in 2012 Hit Parade but didn't pull the trigger.

Fine Art also seemed bassackwards with some Swan Lake whatever at $200, Pavarotti at $400, two other things I didn't recognize and Messiah, which I thought should've been $200.

FJ! was instaget.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Catherine looks good for the semis with a 21000 score tonight. The way things are going even 17401 (2nd highest at this point could be surpassed).

Is Napoleon Dynamite already that old or did the clue just need a vote for Pedro?

The J! round DD looking for South Africa in 1952 seemed like a tough one for a teen to get. Sure, with the extra thinking time it could be figured out, but I suspect that one was destined to be missed.

On the other hand the FJ clue was destined to be hit even if the current year was not the correct response. For those that missed the clue here is your punishment: http://www.sporcle.com/games/Selleck/chinese_zodiac

On a side note: How about Alex with the mustache in the Wheat Thins commercial? I saw it for the first time today. Weird! You can use "alex wheat thins" on YouTube to see it.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

17 right and then I got FJ right away. I knew this year was the year of the Dragon.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Misread/misheard a clue and said Bush instead of Gore.

Precalled Messiah when they told us to name the work the following music is from.

Went 0/5 in the hit parade.

At least I won't go 0/5 in Teen Week, but spent 30 seconds wondering what else it might be.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:Precalled Messiah when they told us to name the work the following music is from.
I precalled Beethoven's 9th.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Precalled Messiah when they told us to name the work the following music is from.
As did I.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
As did I.
Great Alabaman think alike. As soon as they said "chorus," I precalled Messiah. The only other "chorus" I can come up with in a flash is the Anvil Chorus, and I doubt many adults (including me in eight seconds) would associate it with Il Trovatore.

The two Beethoven pieces that might fit (Ninth Symphony and the Choral Fantasy) are usually known as "chorales" rather than "choruses." What the difference between those two is, I can't tell you. (Maybe a chorale is a chorus with a marketing budget?)
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Great Alabaman think alike. As soon as they said "chorus," I precalled Messiah.
I'm not from Alabama, but chorus also led me to precall Messiah. :)