FJs for the 6/13/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/13/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Buster Keaton considered her the tops in her field &, in fact, was one of her early mentors
81%
In June he said, "Don't lie to them to the extent to say there is no involvement, but just say this is... a comedy of errors"
86%
Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Evan Strong & Roy Campanella broke barriers representing this brand
53%
Published in 1991, this novel, the first in a series, has been described as "historical fiction with a Moebius twist"
21%
Congratulating her on the 1869 release of her biography, Frederick Douglass wrote, "I have wrought in the day--you in the night"
88%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
U.S. HISTORY $2000: Known as "Mother", she emigrated from Italy in 1889 & in 1946 she became the first U.S. citizen to be declared a saint
31%
ISLES OF THE BRITISH ISLES $2000: Tresco & Bryher are 2 of the Scilly Isles about 30 miles off this county at the southwestern tip of Britain
42%
ARTISTS & THEIR SUBJECTS $1000: This New Englander showed the struggle between humans & nature in seascapes like "Fog Warning" & "The Herring Net"
58%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I considered Nixon and in thinking it can't be that easy, went for another name.
13%
Haldeman was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
1%
Dean was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with something in the area of athletic wear.
19%
I have eaten Wheaties in in 2022.
6%
I did not recognize the name Babe Didrikson Zaharias from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
I did not recognize the name Evan Strong from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
91%
I did not recognize the name Roy Campanella from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
I have read at least one book in the Outlander series.
1%
I have seen at least one episode in the Outlander TV series.
18%
I figured out "Moebius twist" related to time travel and still did not solve the Thursday FJ! clue.
17%
Harriet Beecher Stowe was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
4%
At least one of NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Jan. 6 hearings, or golf's U.S. Open kept one or more J! episodes from airing at the normal time in my local market.
22%

Total votes: 77

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 6/13/22 week

Post by Plactus »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:35 am Three 80+ clues, and none of them were triple gets. SMH.
Tubman would have been, had Sadie finished her response or the judge who accepted "John Denve" earlier this season...

made the ruling.

Edit/semi-retraction: Zooming in on that image I can see that there is an r there, just smashed up with the e. The point that Sadie guessed correctly, just didn't get the full answer in still stands, and I still think it's a close ruling.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I hate when the internet brigade dislikes a ruling and starts trotting out supposed counterexamples, as if, say, the ruling on "Emanciptation" means that "Motzart" shouldn't be accepted. The two last letters of a correct response occupying the same space on the screen because the contestant ran out of space is not the same thing as a would-be correct response lacking at least half of its last letter (and as much as its two last letters) because the contestant ran out of time.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:17 am
RetiredDoc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:55 pm I knew Mother Cabrini - I went to Catholic school!
What was she like?
:lol:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Not familiar with Evan Strong and missed the Wheaties connection, thinking about "what products did white male athletes endorse in the 30s, 40s, and 50s that a female and an African-American be pioneers in?" Blanked on Wheaties and settled for Camels with a 2% level of confidence.

Have seen exactly one episode of Outlander, and didn't know it was a series of books.

We drive by the Mother Cabrini shrine every time we go into the mountains from Denver or return. The statue is very visible from I-70.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mothe ... 05.2318059
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Another 3-2 week...deep sigh. I started out like a house on fire early this season, getting FJ at about 80% rate the first two-plus months. Since then a long slog in the realm of 50-60&%.

FWIW I always thought that "New England painter" and "seascapes" were Pavlovian for Winslow Homer.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:51 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Mo - Lucille Ball was on a short list of precalls for TV Legends. There didn't seem anyone more likely to have that kind of intersection between the early film world and television. I knew Ball had auditioned for the part of Scarlett O'Hara, which doesn't get her all the way back to Buster Keaton, but close enough.
Even though Keaton was of course known for film, the clue says nothing about "the film world," so I don't see the wording of this clue as leading in that direction. I see this clue as asking who was at the top of her field (early TV), period. Without happening to know about their connection, that reduces the clue to "pick an early female TV legend."

I thought Mary Tyler Moore was not a bad pick at all. I said Carol Burnet, also not a bad pick IMHO (apart from being wrong, or course). A few others also fit the stated parameters of the clue. IMO, not enough TOM in this clue to suss it out.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:27 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 pm ...

J! preempted -3- times last week... :roll:
And probably another 3 this week (I don't see the Avs sweeping, even if they do somehow win)
NBA Draft on Thursday to make it probably 4 preemptions on ABC West stations.
Good week to have taken a vacation...it's all relying on the DVR anyway... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dean on Tuesday.
I would prefer not to.