FJs for the 6/13/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/13/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Buster Keaton considered her the tops in her field &, in fact, was one of her early mentors
81%
In June he said, "Don't lie to them to the extent to say there is no involvement, but just say this is... a comedy of errors"
86%
Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Evan Strong & Roy Campanella broke barriers representing this brand
53%
Published in 1991, this novel, the first in a series, has been described as "historical fiction with a Moebius twist"
21%
Congratulating her on the 1869 release of her biography, Frederick Douglass wrote, "I have wrought in the day--you in the night"
88%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
U.S. HISTORY $2000: Known as "Mother", she emigrated from Italy in 1889 & in 1946 she became the first U.S. citizen to be declared a saint
31%
ISLES OF THE BRITISH ISLES $2000: Tresco & Bryher are 2 of the Scilly Isles about 30 miles off this county at the southwestern tip of Britain
42%
ARTISTS & THEIR SUBJECTS $1000: This New Englander showed the struggle between humans & nature in seascapes like "Fog Warning" & "The Herring Net"
58%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I considered Nixon and in thinking it can't be that easy, went for another name.
13%
Haldeman was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
1%
Dean was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with something in the area of athletic wear.
19%
I have eaten Wheaties in in 2022.
6%
I did not recognize the name Babe Didrikson Zaharias from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
I did not recognize the name Evan Strong from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
91%
I did not recognize the name Roy Campanella from the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
I have read at least one book in the Outlander series.
1%
I have seen at least one episode in the Outlander TV series.
18%
I figured out "Moebius twist" related to time travel and still did not solve the Thursday FJ! clue.
17%
Harriet Beecher Stowe was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
4%
At least one of NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Jan. 6 hearings, or golf's U.S. Open kept one or more J! episodes from airing at the normal time in my local market.
22%

Total votes: 77

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/13/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV LEGENDS

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Buster Keaton considered her the tops in her field &, in fact, was one of her early mentors

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In June he said, "Don't lie to them to the extent to say there is no involvement, but just say this is... a comedy of errors"

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRANDS

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Evan Strong & Roy Campanella broke barriers representing this brand

6/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DEBUT NOVELS

6/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in 1991, this novel, the first in a series, has been described as "historical fiction with a Moebius twist"

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY CONTEMPORARIES

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Congratulating her on the 1869 release of her biography, Frederick Douglass wrote, "I have wrought in the day--you in the night"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Lucille Ball
Richard Nixon
Wheaties
Outlander
Harriet Tubman
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 1-1-1-0-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three correct by the players.

U.S. HISTORY $2000: Known as "Mother", she emigrated from Italy in 1889 & in 1946 she became the first U.S. citizen to be declared a saint

ISLES OF THE BRITISH ISLES $2000: Tresco & Bryher are 2 of the Scilly Isles about 30 miles off this county at the southwestern tip of Britain

ARTISTS & THEIR SUBJECTS $1000: This New Englander showed the struggle between humans & nature in seascapes like "Fog Warning" & "The Herring Net"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Mother Cabrini
Cornwall
Winslow Homer
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/13/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Celestine Prophecy

Guessed Elizabeth Seton instead of Cabrini

Evan Strong not familiar to me and ate Wheaties (Michael Jordan on the box) this week on 6/13 and 6/16.
Seen (2 seasons), not read, Outlander
NBA & NHL moved J! to later airings.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Nike

Can't recall when I last had Wheaties. Maybe around 1990.
Unfamiliar with Evan Strong.
Watched the first two seasons of Outlander, haven't read any of the books.
I'm not sure about preemptions.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
not familiar with Evan Strong
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :| :mrgreen:

Thu - Guns of the South (knowing it was wrong, but how often do you get to reasonably name drop Turtledove?)
I did figure Mobieus twist referred to time travel a la Lost Highway. Have not seen nor read anything Outlander

Evan Strong?

J! preempted -3- times last week... :roll:
And probably another 3 this week (I don't see the Avs sweeping, even if they do somehow win)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 pm ...

J! preempted -3- times last week... :roll:
And probably another 3 this week (I don't see the Avs sweeping, even if they do somehow win)
NBA Draft on Thursday to make it probably 4 preemptions on ABC West stations.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

----:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ----

I guessed "Moebius strip" was a reference to time travel, and the only connection I could make was to the wife of a traveler. Somebody actually was talking to me about this Outlander series within the past several weeks, so maybe I need to work on my listening skills.

Did not know Evan Strong but was familiar with the Zaharias-Wheaties connection. I agree it was less earthshaking than some other breakthroughs. I also liked Buc Wheats better than Wheaties. They were sweeter, true, but they also beat Wheaties for nutritional value.

My mother went to school with Cabrini, though the latter was dead by then.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Went with Seton for the saint, although I thought the dates didn’t seem right
Have seen a couple of episodes of Outlander
NHO Evan Strong, knew the other two. Have not eaten Wheaties since I was a teenager
No preemptions in my market
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 pm I also liked Buc Wheats better than Wheaties. They were sweeter, true, but they also beat Wheaties for nutritional value.
I miss Buc Wheats.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Blanked on Cabrini - clammed on Cornwall.
I don't know that I've ever eaten Wheaties, though I have returned to cereal during the pandemic...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

My dad precalled Nixon and stuck with him, so I stubbornly went for Agnew, thinking it couldn't be that easy and also wanting to differ. I might have gotten it if I'd watched alone. I considered Wheaties but thought Babe Didrikson Zaharias was too early for them (but then I guessed Nike).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 pm I guessed "Moebius strip" was a reference to time travel, and the only connection I could make was to the wife of a traveler.
So you guessed The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I need closure on this anecdote.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :| :|

Mo - Lucille Ball was on a short list of precalls for TV Legends. There didn't seem anyone more likely to have that kind of intersection between the early film world and television. I knew Ball had auditioned for the part of Scarlett O'Hara, which doesn't get her all the way back to Buster Keaton, but close enough.
Tu - Nixon. No way this clue is fair unless a) it's Nixon or b) somehow I've never heard this quote even though it's really famous. I gambled that the clue was fair and the quote innon-famous.
We - Don't know Evan Strong. I know the name and sport for Roy Campanella, but have no picture of him in my head. Babe D-Z is a familiar name. Wheaties was the only product with enough history to make sense. Don't know what I'd have desperation guessed if I hadn't thought of it.
Th - Only vaguely familiar with the show Outland. (I read a synopsis of it and decided not to bother. It sounded and looked like another Poldark with zero sense of time period.) Didn't know it was based on a novel. No chance here. Guessed Master and Commander for lack of anything better.
Fr - Briefly considered Stowe before pivoting to Harriett Tubney.

Thought of Mother Teresa first, but times and places were all wrong. Kept looking and found Cabrini in plenty of time. Would've got Cornwall on a DD or if I needed to ring in to prevent a runaway. Stayed clam. Couldn't pull Homer in time. Kept thinking Turner and knowing it was wrong.

I have not eaten Wheaties in in 2022. I have not eaten Wheaties out in 2022 either.

I know what a Moebius twist is but still don't get how that relates to time or time travel.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

I knew Mother Cabrini - I went to Catholic school!
I have neither read nor seen Outlander

I have had/will have NBA/NHL/NBA Draft preemptions - enough already!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

RetiredDoc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:55 pm I knew Mother Cabrini - I went to Catholic school!
What was she like?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:28 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 pm I guessed "Moebius strip" was a reference to time travel, and the only connection I could make was to the wife of a traveler.
So you guessed The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I need closure on this anecdote.
Before I answer, I'll take the opportunity to announce here that I was ahead of the curve in being sick of the word "closure". I think it was Matt Groening's "Life in Hell" strip* that made a tradition of a year's-end list of "forbidden words" for the year to come. The list would consist of maybe 20 words that had recently achieved extreme overuse. My letter to the Village Voice (my local carrier of the strip) said that though I'd already read numerous year's-end lists ("most intriguing people", et. al), it took this forbidden-word list to bring me closure. My point, as I presume the editors grasped, was that the list contained a very glaring omission. About six months later, the late Russell Baker made up for this by devoting one of his regular op-ed pieces in the New York Times to say "enough already with the 'closure'." Baker posited (correctly, IMO) that it was the explosion and crash of TWA Flight 800 into the ocean in July of 1996 that brought the word "closure" to what we would today call the "tipping point" of its subsequent ubiquity, as media, airline officials, NTSB and FBI all sang the song of the importance of finding every body so that their families could achieve "closure". Ironically, continued doubt as to the cause of the explosion has prevented any closure to this day.

So yes, "Time Traveler's Wife" was my guess. "Historical" plus Moebius strips suggested to me an infinite loop, where one might travel from, say, the year 1400 to 1600 then back to 1200. It may well be that greater understanding than mine would not have prompted this association, but nonetheless.

* Comic or cartoon strip (not Moebius)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:20 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:28 pm
So yes, "Time Traveler's Wife" was my guess. "Historical" plus Moebius strips suggested to me an infinite loop, where one might travel from, say, the year 1400 to 1600 then back to 1200. It may well be that greater understanding than mine would not have prompted this association, but nonetheless.
Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife? I ask because I think I thought of it but immediately rejected it because I knew 9/11 got referenced in the book, so it couldn't be a 1991 publication. Unless it was non-fiction, I guess. Please answer. I need the satisfaction or feeling of completion that comes when a process or conversation is brought to a fitting end.
Spoiler
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:08 am Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife? I ask because I think I thought of it but immediately rejected it because I knew 9/11 got referenced in the book, so it couldn't be a 1991 publication. Unless it was non-fiction, I guess. Please answer. I need the satisfaction or feeling of completion that comes when a process or conversation is brought to a fitting end.
I hadn't actually realized that your question was a Simpsons reference (but then, what isn't?). I guess Groening needed to redeem his old oversight for, as you put it, the satisfaction or feeling of completion that comes when a process or conversation is brought to a fitting end.

I have not read The Time Traveler's Wife and didn't really know what it was about; I only guessed that its title offered a clue. I was equally vague about when it came out. I don't read many new books; I usually find them too heavy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Three 80+ clues, and none of them were triple gets. SMH.