2022 Audition Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2022 Audition Questions

Post by DysonSphere »

Hello All. My time in the contestant pool just expired. I am going through the audition process again now, and it seems different from a couple of years ago in certain respects.

In the past, my understanding was most people did not get an in-person (or Zoom) test invitation after passing the Online Test. Too many takers, not enough spots. That sort of thing .This year, I received an in-person (Zoom) test invitation right away after passing the Anytime Test, and I have heard others experienced the same.

(1) Is the new process that everyone gets an automatic in-person (or Zoom) test invitation shortly after passing the Anytime Test, or is it still just luck of the draw?

In the past, I received an email shortly after passing the in-person (Zoom) test. This year, I did not receive a confirmation, even though I am confident I passed. I don't want to reveal anything proprietary about the audition, but I inferred this might be the new procedure - just not to let people know either way until necessary.

(2) Did others have this same experience of not receiving a passing confirmation this year?

(3) Does anyone know what the third step is in 2022? Is it another Zoom call or something else? Which leads to my final question:

(4) A recent contestant stated they actually went to New York for an audition. Does anyone know what they meant by this (what part of the process was in person), and has Jeopardy begun returning to actual in-person auditions? Should I plan to have to travel somewhere?

Thanks! Feel free to use this thread for anything contestant pool related.
MarkBarrett

Re: 2022 Audition Questions

Post by MarkBarrett »

Distinctive glasses, nose piercing, multi-colored hair... all automatic passes to audition? :)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I took the Anytime Test in May 2021, and the Zoom test in August 2021.
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I took the anytime in May 2021 as well. I got the email for the zoom test about 3 weeks later, and took it the following week. There is no confirmation email about passing the Zoom test so far as I know, but I received an invite to the final portion which is the Zoom Gameplay/Interview within 6 hours. There is no more in-person auditioning currently and that contestant this week was definitely talking about a pre-pandemic audition that isn't the most recent one they did.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DysonSphere wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 pm (1) Is the new process that everyone gets an automatic in-person (or Zoom) test invitation shortly after passing the Anytime Test, or is it still just luck of the draw?
I'd bet lots of money it's luck of the draw.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I took the anytime test on JeoparDAY! I took a zoom test soon after that. I received an email for an in-person audition a couple weeks ago and it’s to take place in about a week.

The in-person invite said it was the final step of the audition process but it also said that you’re ineligible if you’ve recently taken the zoom test. So it’s not clear to me if this is step 3, or a combination step 2/3. I tried to email them to clarify but didn’t get a response.

I’m in the LA area.

Did your in-person invite say it was the final step? Did it say you were ineligible if you recently took a zoom test?

Good luck getting on the show!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I believe this is misremembering by the OP.

The online test in the past was always followed by an immediate email confirmation of having taken the test, but AFAIK, never stating pass/fail.

1. Anytime test
2. Lucky ones get proctored zoom test (maybe everyone…don’t know yet)
3. Luck of the draw seems to be the case for zoom audition.

4. Anyone but a MAWG has a great chance of getting the call
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:54 am I believe this is misremembering by the OP.

The online test in the past was always followed by an immediate email confirmation of having taken the test, but AFAIK, never stating pass/fail.
I received an email confirmation after my last in-person (Zoom) test that I had passed that test. The Online/Anytime tests have never given this confirmation, I agree. It seems they may no longer notify in-person (Zoom) test takers that they passed.
zzplaysfaster

Post by zzplaysfaster »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:54 am I believe this is misremembering by the OP.

1. Anytime test
2. Lucky ones get proctored zoom test (maybe everyone…don’t know yet)
3. Luck of the draw seems to be the case for zoom audition.

4. Anyone but a MAWG has a great chance of getting the call
add "Non-Alternative Lifestyle" to #4 and it will be more accurate.

I too took the Anytime Test last March, received an invite to the Zoom test in August, know I passed (42-43/50) and never heard anything back. Then I went to the Jeopardy contestant FAQ and it says now that passers of the Zoom Test are "randomly" selected to participate in the Mock Game.

Ok, fine. But then given what we think we know about audition pools being made up of at least 65-70% MAWGs, then how in the world is Jeopardy getting enough diversity from the "randomization" of the passers of the Zoom Test to select from the Mock Game interviews and eventually for the show? My theory is that all of us assumed they watch us on camera to make sure nobody is cheating, but what they are actually doing is evaluating and making snap judgements from what they see on the Zoom Test cam. Otherwise, I can't find how it's statistically possible given what we see on the show each night. You have to go back to early November where there were three male contestants on the stage at the same time.

I don't think every Anytime Test passer is getting a Zoom test invite. From the on-site audition days, about 100,000 people took the online test and it was estimated about 10% or so passed, and then around 4,000-4,500 would get in-person slots depending on how many cities were being visited. Now, with the Zoom test there's usually around 15 slots per session. If they did one every single day that would be around 5,500 potential contestants, but we know they do these in batches, so my best guess is that via Zoom Test is still seeing the same 4,000-4,500 people they would have at the on-site locations. What's changed is that they are not moving everyone who passes to the mock game. And my question to them is why? Sure Jeopardy can put anyone on they want, but at least at the on-site locations you could at least dream of swimming in the pool for 18 months with some hope. Now with this new process depending on when you take the Anytime Test and Zoom Test where you have to wait up to a year after the Zoom Test to try again, that in itself could be 18 months and you don't even have the privilege of being in the pool.

If they could just be a tad bit more transparent with the process, that would be great.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:46 am

I received an email confirmation after my last in-person (Zoom) test that I had passed that test. The Online/Anytime tests have never given this confirmation, I agree. It seems they may no longer notify in-person (Zoom) test takers that they passed.
I know someone who passed the zoom test and did not hear anything from them about pass/fail. They also did not get an audition.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

6 months left in the pool. I plan to be @ SporcleCon in Sept, so we’ll see if they let me audition— unless The Call ™️ comes first :shock:
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

I received an an email invitation on Friday to participate in the zoom test between Tuesday and Friday of this week. I took the on-line test in August 2021 and again on JeoparDay. 200 slots are listed on signup genius, 20 persons per session. Oddly, less than half of the slots appear to have been signed up as of today, Monday morning. My own invitation went to spam and I almost missed it.

The email says after the 50 question test you will be contacted IF you've been selected to participate in the last step of the audition process. There are also three restrictions listed. You cannot take the zoom test if:

-you have taken the zoom test in the last 12 months;
-you have been to a game play audition within 18 months;
-you have appeared on Jeopardy from 1984-2022.

My impression from old in-person auditions is that the selection of participants for them is random and the odds of being selected are less than 50%. I took the online test from 2009 to 2021 (13 years), passed each time, and received 3 in-person auditions. (Of course, the 18 month ban on testing after you are in the pool meant I did not take the test every year.) Selection for the actual show is non-random.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:59 pm Distinctive glasses, nose piercing, multi-colored hair... all automatic passes to audition? :)
Got the same email being discussed. Its the first time I've ever heard anything back. I've been taking the test since 2011.

I'm currently scheduling a time to color my hair, and I'm picking up some Groucho Marx glasses. I'll pierce the fake nose. Thanks for the insight.

I'm scheduled for early Thursday evening. I'm number 9 of 20. Like someone else is saying, only about half of the slots were full on the page I was looking at, but there appeared to be a second page of zoom appointments through Signup Genius and when I clicked on it almost everything was full.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Jeffreygallup wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:07 am I received an an email invitation on Friday to participate in the zoom test between Tuesday and Friday of this week. I took the on-line test in August 2021 and again on JeoparDay. 200 slots are listed on signup genius, 20 persons per session. Oddly, less than half of the slots appear to have been signed up as of today, Monday morning. My own invitation went to spam and I almost missed it.

The email says after the 50 question test you will be contacted IF you've been selected to participate in the last step of the audition process. There are also three restrictions listed. You cannot take the zoom test if:

-you have been to a game play audition within 188 months;

My impression from old in-person auditions is that the selection of participants for them is random and the odds of being selected are less than 50%. I took the online test from 2009 to 2021 (13 years), passed each time, and received 3 in-person auditions. (Of course, the 18 month ban on testing after you are in the pool meant I did not take the test every year.) Selection for the actual show is non-random.
I got that same email and signed up for the later slot on Thursday. I too took the online test on JeoparDay as well as taking it a couple of months earlier.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sherm wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:59 pm Distinctive glasses, nose piercing, multi-colored hair... all automatic passes to audition? :)
I'm currently scheduling a time to color my hair, and I'm picking up some Groucho Marx glasses. I'll pierce the fake nose. Thanks for the insight.
https://splathaircolor.com/products/naturals
My personal preference is Teal. It will have a nice conditioning effect on your hair, regardless of how the color turns out.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Jeffreygallup wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:07 am The email says after the 50 question test you will be contacted IF you've been selected to participate in the last step of the audition process. There are also three restrictions listed. You cannot take the zoom test if:

Please tell me the email actually said "18 months" and not "188 months." :shock:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Someone on staff def has a thing for color-streaked hair!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:32 pm
Jeffreygallup wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:07 am The email says after the 50 question test you will be contacted IF you've been selected to participate in the last step of the audition process. There are also three restrictions listed. You cannot take the zoom test if:

Please tell me the email actually said "18 months" and not "188 months." :shock:
Yeah, that does seem oddly specific.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Yes, of course, it's 18 months after the game play participation. Sorry to startle.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Seems like the process might have shifted from a randomized selection for in-person test to everybody takes the in-person test to create a giant pool they can then select from based on desired characteristics.