Monday, June 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

SwanShadow wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 pm Another week begins: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7392

I'll add the tape date when it surfaces.
Mark, you may want to note on Ketty's profile page that she appeared on The Chase with Daniel Donohue and me on 1/28/2021. (Unfortunately, Ketty was caught in her individual round by James Holzhauer, and did not get to participate in the Final Chase.)
Thanks for the info, Michael. I have updated Ketty's page and will now work on adding Ketty to your page and Daniel's page.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

What a terrible FJ clue. "Mono" as a prefix means "one" and not "alone." The OED entry for "monarchy" gives the derivation from the Greek "rule of one," and the definition "Undivided rule by a single person; sole rule or sovereignty; absolute power." The word "alone" does not appear.
The clue actually leads you away from "monarchy" and towards something like "autocracy."
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

DavidRosen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 pm What a terrible FJ clue. "Mono" as a prefix means "one" and not "alone." The OED entry for "monarchy" gives the derivation from the Greek "rule of one," and the definition "Undivided rule by a single person; sole rule or sovereignty; absolute power." The word "alone" does not appear.
The clue actually leads you away from "monarchy" and towards something like "autocracy."
Sounds a lot like that definition could be paraphrased accu rately as "ruling alone."
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Right. But the clue gave a derivation from alone, and "monarchy" is derived from "one."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wasn’t exactly sure when Charlie lost his head and when his son came back so I went with protectorate.

I hope hansenkd is OK after seeing Jackie eliminated from the TOC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

waterloo_guy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:56 pm
DavidRosen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 pm What a terrible FJ clue. "Mono" as a prefix means "one" and not "alone." The OED entry for "monarchy" gives the derivation from the Greek "rule of one," and the definition "Undivided rule by a single person; sole rule or sovereignty; absolute power." The word "alone" does not appear.
Sounds a lot like that definition could be paraphrased accu rately as "ruling alone."
This sounds like one of those cases where "a little knowledge...."

I must not know as much as I thought I did about word origins, but when I read "alone" I immediately thought of "one person and got "monarchy" immediately. I'll take it.

Meanwhile, didn't this board just last week or so include a comment about how "chomping at the bit" is incorrect? Even though lots of folks apparently say that, it is of course "champing at the bit." And Megan gets another favorable bounce when she was not negged for that. Anyone else here think that should have been negged?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Damn but this champ has had more good luck in her run. I know she's a pretty good player but some of these wins have come from some kind of divine intervention.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm afraid I have to push back a little on this. The Etymology section for "monarchy" in the OED directs me to "monarch". There it gives an etymology for the first half of the word as "ancient Greek μονο-, combining form of μόνος alone, only, sole, single." This tracks with the definition for μόνος in the Liddell & Scott lexicon: "alone, left alone, forsaken solitary, Lat. solus." English doesn't have a Greek-derived word that means rule by exactly one. If we did, it would be something like "henarchy".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 pm Meanwhile, didn't this board just last week or so include a comment about how "chomping at the bit" is incorrect? Even though lots of folks apparently say that, it is of course "champing at the bit." And Megan gets another favorable bounce when she was not negged for that. Anyone else here think that should have been negged?
Absolutely not. "Champing" may be the original (just like "another think coming") but "chomping" is widely used and 100% acceptable. I was disappointed that Mayim didn't say "or champing". I hope it was on her card and she was prepared to accept it.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:09 pm Wasn’t exactly sure when Charlie lost his head and when his son came back so I went with protectorate.

I hope hansenkd is OK after seeing Jackie eliminated from the TOC.
That she is eliminated in such a manner by such a weak 5-day champion is profoundly unjust. They really should have locked it in after Ryan. Unless they plan to pull a fast one and do an expanded version in prime time.

Ryan Bilger was the alternate for the 2019 ToC and they reserved him a spot for the 2021 one. That would be a good way to go. That huge single game score alone should have been enough to lock her in.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How about expand the field to 18? 6 QF games and the high scorer goes to the finals. The semis are the other 5 winners plus the winner of the SCT who gets to skip the QF round. The two winners of the semis go the finals to join the one already there. 10 games total as in the past.

No safety net of wildcards that saved eventual winner Robin Carroll or eventual finalist Julia Collins.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

I know that arguing for a 4 day winner seems obtuse, but she really was a special contestant. Had there never been an Amy Schneider, she would have the highest single game score for a female. Her loss (like Emma B.'s) had an element of flukiness.

I feel bad for Focht as well, just because he was the only qualifier for so long and held on to a spot for such a long time. Hard to predict so many streakers in such a short time post-Mattea.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Pretty lackluster game all-around. Though I can’t fault them for missing FJ. I had it pinned to the English civil war, but the wording had me thinking of a piece of legislation and the etymology wasn’t getting me anywhere.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Quoting William Safire, NY Times, August 4, 1985:
On the newscasts I was monitoring, that verb was pronounced chomping. In Britain, champ is standard and chomp is dialect; in the United States, champ is less often used to describe chewing than chomp, a Southernism frequently employed by the cartoonist Al Capp in his ''Li'l Abner'' strip. Thus, to spell it champing at the bit when most people would say chomping at the bit is to slavishly follow outdated dictionary preferences. The word is imitative, so it should imitate the sound that most people use to imitate loud chewing. Who would say ''General Grant champed on his cigar''?
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

hansenkd wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:30 pm I know that arguing for a 4 day winner seems obtuse, but she really was a special contestant. Had there never been an Amy Schneider, she would have the highest single game score for a female. Her loss (like Emma B.'s) had an element of flukiness.

I feel bad for Focht as well, just because he was the only qualifier for so long and held on to a spot for such a long time. Hard to predict so many streakers in such a short time post-Mattea.
I have to agree. As happy as I am for Megan, and I believe she's earned her spot, it's a shame that potential dark horses like Jackie and John are presumably out of the running. I hope they either hold some post-Mattea players over for 2023 (though judging by Megan's post-game interview, it doesn't seem like they'll do that) or expand the field to include at least three extra players. I'd also like to see a Christine/Margaret/Maureen special faceoff or something, since Margaret faced both and they were all 4-time winners.

At least now it makes sense why they've held off on announcing a TOC line-up for so long.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Well sh*t. They just played an "Only Murders In the Building" commercial before WABC7 Eyewitness News.

Will not miss it next time.
Douglas Squasoni
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Outthought myself so hard on FJ I started out at "haplo-" and never got away from it.

Went with champing instead of chomping.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I'm pretty sure I would have wagered 9797 in Tory's spot, even if I hadn't seen any of Megan's earlier games.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This game finished about like the US Open golf tournament yesterday. At least until Ketty self-immolated going for the win. If she'd gotten an easier clue she would have had enough coin to survive the FJ triple stumper. Megan is defying gravity. She has seemed very gracious with her body language on the surprise wins. I thought the piracy background for her doctorate would help her with the category. I'm not familiar with the doctorate structure for lawyers, and it seems confusing as I looked it up. I hope they aren't teaching critical race theory to those young impressionable 24 year olds. :roll:

I guess British history is a weak subject for me. I thought they still have a monarchy. Who is the old woman that won't step down? Is she grandmothered in by the ruling?
I answered "solitary confinement", in spite of it being unlikely they would rule that out while retaining drawing and quartering, etc..

Poor Mayim - she made a strong decision on the "drink" ruling and had to unpack it. The bonus 400 bucks helped keep Ketty in FJ.

It's definitely "chomping" at the bit. Anything else is just putting on airs.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:33 pm English doesn't have a Greek-derived word that means rule by exactly one. If we did, it would be something like "henarchy".
We are even more fortunate that we don't need the term penguinarchy ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 am

I guess British history is a weak subject for me. I thought they still have a monarchy. Who is the old woman that won't step down? Is she grandmothered in by the ruling?
The monarchy was restored 11 years later, in 1660.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.