Wednesday, June 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:13 pm Note to self: poems are literature too.

Spent literally HOURS trying to come up with a book with a bird in it and went nowhere. Massive headslap on reveal.
At least they had a clue about your favorite commercial!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:39 pm Wow! Could this be the lowest combined Coryat if the season? And, Opus, this one fair begs for a Fourth Podium poll. If you aren’t up for it, I might have to do it. Megan’s luck runs out with a double solve tonight. I started down the TKAM path until I noted the 19th C in the category, at which point I got to EAP in short order.
Another ToCer in a game with a poor Combined Coryat: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7169
Good call, Mark. Double Wow!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Too bad Ken didn't get to deliver the FedEx clue. He could've quipped that it was a good thing Jeff didn't say H&R Block.

Another Greek etymology clue, this time just in regular play. They wanted an English word that comes from the Greek for "grace". Just two games to go. Can the Greeks sweep the week?

I predicted the Tweedledee reversal. I'm surprised they let it get that far. I hate to say it, but Ken wouldn't have made that mistake. And while we're on that subject, I think Ken would also have pointed out the "member of singing royalty" TOM in DD2. That's what helped me (more than the category, which I totally didn't notice). I narrowed it down to Prince or Freddie Mercury and knew Prince would never say anything humorously self-deprecating like that.

Did not know that ravens could talk. Thought the poem was fanciful on that point as it was on many others. So like Mark I started with Lofting, felt he might be a little too late for the category and switched to Stevenson. My hope was that the bird there was a parrot relative of some sort, maybe a toucan. (Turns out that as far as talking goes, that bird is more of a toucan't.) If I'd thought of Poe, I think I'd have switched to him despite my ignorance regarding raven mimicry of human speech.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Was it spelled "equallly" purposefully because it was a quote or was that a typo?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:01 pm Was it spelled "equallly" purposefully because it was a quote or was that a typo?
Where are you seeing that spelling?
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:01 pm Was it spelled "equallly" purposefully because it was a quote or was that a typo?
On final jeopardy when I watched the show.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 pm
It's on the secondary reveal of the FJ! clue during think time and not on the initial reveal. It's now noted in the archive.
davey

Post by davey »

In case anybody else was wondering...

Yes, I learned ravens can talk tonight. But as far as I know, the most famous bird in Stevenson is a parrot, so I wasn't tempted that way.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I thought of Lewis Carroll first, but didn't think they would go to him again in the same show. Then thought of Poe as the time ran out.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 pm
It's on the secondary reveal of the FJ! clue during think time and not on the initial reveal. It's now noted in the archive.
Thanks for elaborating for me, I didn't go back to check if it was in both places, I just commented on it to my husband. But if it wasn't in both, then it must have been a typo.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The intersection of those who missed the FJ! clue and also do the NYT Mini might cause some cussing:
Spoiler
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:42 pm 56 R (Couldn't get Giada De Laurentis and picked the wrong Williams sister.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Did you not notice that the answers, or part of the clues, were planets?
Oh gosh! The thing is, I play from the Archive first. I read the categories too quickly. :roll:
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:42 pm 56 R (Couldn't get Giada De Laurentis and picked the wrong Williams sister.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Did you not notice that the answers, or part of the clues, were planets?
Oh gosh! The thing is, I play from the Archive first. I read the categories too quickly. :roll:
Serena is a crater in the asteroid Vesta, so she is at least sort of celestial.

Of course, I'm a star somewhere, according to a certificate, also somewhere.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was instaget for me. I knew Ravens could mimic/talk along with mynah birds and I think even crows and grackles to some extent. They are very smart birds. I think that "quothed the parrot "arrrrh, nevermore"", would probably change the tone of the poem but it is funny to think about it. I was forced to memorize this poem in high school and still retain a goodly portion of it.

Megan only had a one dollar lead before Jeff's reveal, so her streak of 2 dollar wins was in jeopardy (no pun intended). Thank you Megan for the anti-gravity ride. The show also thanks you for the $60-$80K discount for the 6 days of shows.

Of a certain pair of "Through the Looking Glass" characters, this one fits the category
I thought the hesitation on "tweedledee and tweedledum" was because of the order which is usually reversed. Megan was able to do that on the fly, but not stop there. It's asking a lot to parse "this ONE" (of a pair), vs. "this" (pair). I think without the pinning of "this one", then both names would be correct, even with an extra pair of 'e's'.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: I think Ken would also have pointed out the "member of singing royalty" TOM in DD2. That's what helped me (more than the category, which I totally didn't notice). I narrowed it down to Prince or Freddie Mercury and knew Prince would never say anything humorously self-deprecating like that.
How did you link Mercury to "Royalty" so damn fast? That's three degrees of seperation.
I'd still be scratching my head at who 'represents' each of the three characters after the taping was finished. I suppose Mercury has the prominate choppers, Stewart has a sorta big nose, but Elton also has a notable gap in his front teeth, and Stewart was known for his long blonde hair. IMHO, that clue was only real time solvable by someone who is familliar with the factoid.

Lol at Richard Williams as the tennis superstar.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Megan had a better chance at winning a TS in this game than in her earlier games but alas, the law of averages drew an easy FJ. :(
So many wrong guesses by Megan and she was only $1400 off the lead at the end of DJ. The malaria DD could have won her the game. Being a second row clue, I guessed it correctly.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 am
opusthepenguin wrote: I think Ken would also have pointed out the "member of singing royalty" TOM in DD2. That's what helped me (more than the category, which I totally didn't notice). I narrowed it down to Prince or Freddie Mercury and knew Prince would never say anything humorously self-deprecating like that.
How did you link Mercury to "Royalty" so damn fast? That's three degrees of seperation.
I'd still be scratching my head at who 'represents' each of the three characters after the taping was finished. I suppose Mercury has the prominate choppers, Stewart has a sorta big nose, but Elton also has a notable gap in his front teeth, and Stewart was known for his long blonde hair. IMHO, that clue was only real time solvable by someone who is familliar with the factoid.
I didn't waste time trying to figure how which one was which in Hair, Nose & Teeth. Still not sure I know. I just figured "royalty" meant Prince or Queen and there was no way it was Prince. Not his style. The PLANET in the category would have made it obvious if I'd been paying attention. With DD time to process, it seemed reasonable to me. Maybe Mark will poll it.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

"What a great game!" Mayim said.

No, no it wasn't. Ignoring the category, misreading the clue, and flat out WAGing were rampant. Three missed not-very-difficult DDs. It was ugly. And we had another bad "Mayim moment" (those are happening far too much lately). I think she knew it should have been a neg, but couldn't resist Megan's pleading eyes in the awkward pause. Ridiculously long time to correct it as well.
davey

Post by davey »

hansenkd wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am "What a great game!" Mayim said.

No, no it wasn't. Ignoring the category, misreading the clue, and flat out WAGing were rampant. Three missed not-very-difficult DDs. It was ugly. And we had another bad "Mayim moment" (those are happening far too much lately). I think she knew it should have been a neg, but couldn't resist Megan's pleading eyes in the awkward pause. Ridiculously long time to correct it as well.
I tend to believe that the important "pleading eyes" in that scenario were Mayim's looking to the judges for a ruling. And they failed her.