Thursday, June 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Thursday, June 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:25 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:14 pm I'd really like to see this season's FJ get % compared with previous ones. It feels off
If only there was a place that could help.

Oh, yeah: https://j-archive.com/finalstats.php?season=38

https://j-archive.com/finalstats.php?season=37

Just change the season number at the end to see more.
Thank you!

And, wow, James' effect on the Season 35 numbers is astounding.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I have data going back to season 28 showing the regular play contestant, regular play challenger, and board FJ get rates, which I may update at the end of the season. The board averages are always much higher, but Season 32 had a smaller gap and Seasons 36-38 all had a particularly large gap. Season 27 had lots and lots of triple gets on the show, but the board get rates are mostly lost to history on the long-dead Sony board.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

22/2, 21/2 :twisted:
trash:
Spoiler
dragonfly, Juliet :o
more trash:
Spoiler
Mt. Kenya, Balkans, Rockies :shock: , draft, Dickens
kudos to Jeff for going all-in on DD3 and getting it. 8-)
betting clues: :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Leander wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:50 pm Since when is Tom Petty "southern rock"? Neither AllMusic nor Wikipedia categorizes him as such.
The clue is “southern rocker”, or a rock musician born in the south. Which is different than “southern rock”.
Nope, a Southern rocker plays Southern rock. A rocker from the South is a rocker from the South, & that's all.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:50 pm Since when is Tom Petty "southern rock"? Neither AllMusic nor Wikipedia categorizes him as such.
The clue is “southern rocker”, or a rock musician born in the south. Which is different than “southern rock”.
Still seems very easy to get misled here.
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

I just went with Farragut's Damn the Torpedoes, but I could not have named the artist...
And I am a boomer who enjoyed Tom Petty, but at some level, aside from the Wilburys, I considered him a singles producer. Great, great singles that I love, but never bought his albums.
Sheesh---and I never thought of him as a southern rocker--his early sound reminded me of the Byrds. I know he was from Florida... ;) ;)

Mike
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I said "Full Speed Ahead."

Damb
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,600
49 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dragonfly, Juliet, Nora Ephron, novel, laundromat (DD), zipper, Mount Kenya, the draft, Balkans, Rockies, Charles Dickens

Andrew apparently didn't realize DD3 was still on the board when he went to the top of PUBLISHED POSTHUMOUSLY. Jeff did, and he made it count.

Am I the only one who got gotten by the Apennine/Pennine negbait?

I also completely blanked on E.M. Forster's name. Somewhere Bob Harris is shaking his head in shame.

NHO "sweetness and light."
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm I had never heard of the album, but could only think of one quote by a Civil War admiral, so.....
MrBluebird wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:59 pm I just went with Farragut's Damn the Torpedoes, but I could not have named the artist...
I guess even the losers get lucky sometimes.
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 pm Just two games to go. Can the Greeks sweep the week?
Tome!
Sprinkles are for winners.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Could not get Graphic Novel $800 or $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:55 pm Again, with Greek word origin. That's four straight now??
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 pm Just two games to go. Can the Greeks sweep the week?
Tome!
One day left. This is so exciting.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

" ... a Civil War quote by a Union admiral."
how many *other* union admirals can you name? who commanded the monitor? or the hunley?
so it's gotta be an instaget.
this boomer had never heard of the album or had a guess at the artist.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never knew he was a Southern rocker.

Got the quote right away but never heard of the album. So is it the first three words, the last three, or the whole thing? Decided having a swear word in the title makes it edgier so I went with the first three.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm I had never heard of the album, but could only think of one quote by a Civil War admiral, so.....
Ditto.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I went with Damn the Torpedoes because Full Speed Ahead would not be a unique quote. Lots of admirals have said that. Admittedly, the unknown Southern rocker might have named the album Full Speed Ahead and then clarified that he was referencing the longer quote unique to Farragut. But that seemed less likely than that he used the part everyone recognized as a quote. I didn't give much thought to the possibility that he used all 6 words in the title.

Like others, I did this without knowing who the Southern rocker was or recognizing the title. If I'd had to name the musician, Tom Petty would never have come to mind. Southern California rocker? You bet. Southern? Not that I was aware of.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I was at first thrown by "southern rocker" as the reference was merely geographic and not stylistic. Fans of Petty know that he's from Florida but to include southern in the clue only serves to mislead. How the writers didn't realize that is beyond me.

Jeff Weinstock is 1/3 of the way towards the 6 game minimum win streak. He's also fortunate that he got to explain the chin gesture as he might have been subject to an online hate campaign accusing him of being a white supremacist.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

As soon as I see a category like "Classic Albums", I curl into a fecal fetal position and await my punishment. If I had peeked between my fingers and seen the "Union Admiral" TOM, I might have had a shot at the answer, but I don't think I'd have got past the Merrimac and Monitor as far as naval kerfuffles. Thus ended my 3 for 3 week. I tried to approach it on the music side and was distracted by the implied solo performer artist. Since Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't a person, I had no other group names, much less album titles. I'd wag "Sweet Home Alabama", which is actually from an album "Second Helping".

I thought Jeff might pull this FJ out - he could have been a closet Beatlemaniac, hard rocker, Disco Stu, headbanger, grunge and hip-hop fan. It's tough for the Canadian (Whitney) to get a Civil War question, although their school system probably teaches it better than ours. We are too busy pretending that it wasn't about owning people.
(from Texas Geography textbook)

I don't keep score and notice category runs unless played consecutively, but I blew up the four letter word category, and I didn't even use any of my A material :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:18 pm For whatever reason, my pen immediately wrote "heart of gold"...I have no idea why. I spent about 27 seconds thinking before writing "damn" and time ran out.
Maybe Neil Young popped into your head (despite his being Canadian) due to “Southern Man.” That happened to me at first.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 pm I went with Damn the Torpedoes because Full Speed Ahead would not be a unique quote. Lots of admirals have said that.
That's how I figured it, but "Full Speed Ahead" does seem a more natural album title. Or even "Four Bells" (i.e., "full speed ahead", which is how some sources have the quote).

I did know Petty was from Gainesville, whatever that makes him.

Anyway, glad to have got the FJ as Farragut is another neighbor of mine:
dgf.JPG
dgf.JPG (389.92 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I could only think of two possible solutions for FJ and picked the correct one. Yea me!!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:13 am I could only think of two possible solutions for FJ and picked the correct one. Yea me!!
what was the other one?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:29 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:18 pm For whatever reason, my pen immediately wrote "heart of gold"...I have no idea why. I spent about 27 seconds thinking before writing "damn" and time ran out.
Maybe Neil Young popped into your head (despite his being Canadian) due to “Southern Man.” That happened to me at first.
His music seems to fit a "southern rock" genre more than Tom Petty :D

The more of a sheetshow this season becomes every day, the more I am glad I didn't end up on the show in this time frame. Although...once more unto the breach tomorrow morning.
Total game show career losings = $171,522