Thursday, June 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 pm Proud to have gotten this one, but needed to brainstorm Southern rockers to get there. (Tom Petty and I share a birthday.)

Also, "by a Southern rocker and his band", please.
I had never heard of the album, but could only think of one quote by a Civil War admiral, so.....
EXACTLY. NHO the album but certainly heard of Adm. Farragut and the Battle of Mobile Bay. "Full Speed Ahead!"

And that's the kind of thinking required for me to come up with the correct answer for a clue in "Classic Albums," let alone one that stumps all three contestants.

Remarkable how this works out some times.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:26 am
SBurrus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:13 am I could only think of two possible solutions for FJ and picked the correct one. Yea me!!
what was the other one?
I thought of "Bat Out of Hell" but wasn't sure if Meat Loaf was from the south. I didn't actually think "Damn the torpedoes" was correct either since it was the Civil War and much of the combat was land combat but couldn't think of many other well-known albums that might fit the category and also have a southern relationship. I actually own that album on vinyl!
earendel

Post by earendel »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:00 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 pm Proud to have gotten this one, but needed to brainstorm Southern rockers to get there. (Tom Petty and I share a birthday.)

Also, "by a Southern rocker and his band", please.
I had never heard of the album, but could only think of one quote by a Civil War admiral, so.....
+1
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:50 pm Since when is Tom Petty "southern rock"? Neither AllMusic nor Wikipedia categorizes him as such.

By being born in Gainesville, FL. It's "Southern" enough for me.

Surprised that Damn the Torpedoes went 0-3. And NOT in a good way.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Damn the Torpedoes came to me instantly, only because I'm an 80s pop aficionado and know that "Don't Do Me Like That" was making its Hot 100 chart run in the earliest weeks of 1980 and reached #10. "Refugee" got to #15 a bit later in that year. I wonder if I'm the rare one who came up with it via the artist and not the battle.

I'm all for the gutsy late DD wager, but I always wonder why not at least leave yourself a few dollars to avoid being ignominiously shut out of FJ, which is extraordinarily likely on a miss. Especially if the other two are close and the all-in wager doesn't secure a runaway. Wins with $1 have happened. So why not just leave that buck there for a tiny safety net with just a couple of clues left and LTaM warning given? Or, since you can't secure the runaway, why not just wager enough to lock out the others on a potential TS, as this turned out to be? Any thoughts?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

hansenkd wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am Damn the Torpedoes came to me instantly, only because I'm an 80s pop aficionado and know that "Don't Do Me Like That" was making its Hot 100 chart run in the earliest weeks of 1980 and reached #10. "Refugee" got to #15 a bit later in that year. I wonder if I'm the rare one who came up with it via the artist and not the battle.

I'm all for the gutsy late DD wager, but I always wonder why not at least leave yourself a few dollars to avoid being ignominiously shut out of FJ, which is extraordinarily likely on a miss. Especially if the other two are close and the all-in wager doesn't secure a runaway. Wins with $1 have happened. So why not just leave that buck there for a tiny safety net with just a couple of clues left and LTaM warning given? Or, since you can't secure the runaway, why not just wager enough to lock out the others on a potential TS, as this turned out to be? Any thoughts?
(tugs chin 3 times)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

[/quote]

I thought of "Bat Out of Hell" but wasn't sure if Meat Loaf was from the south. I didn't actually think "Damn the torpedoes" was correct either since it was the Civil War and much of the combat was land combat but couldn't think of many other well-known albums that might fit the category and also have a southern relationship. I actually own that album on vinyl!
[/quote]

Meat Loaf was born in Dallas TX, more southwestern than true Southern.
davey

Post by davey »

Like others, I went to the wrong part of the phrase. I could say that in that :30 I was stupidly prudish, thinking they wouldn't ask for that word....But the truth is the phrase came to me as "Man the torpedoes..." Still stupidly prudish, I guess...:roll:
Another FJ where you didn't have to know the work in question to get it. I don't hear anyone complaining this time...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 pm I went with Damn the Torpedoes because Full Speed Ahead would not be a unique quote. Lots of admirals have said that.
That's how I figured it, but "Full Speed Ahead" does seem a more natural album title. Or even "Four Bells" (i.e., "full speed ahead", which is how some sources have the quote).
That did give me a little pause. Full Speed Ahead is a great album title. If you close your eyes you can almost see the cover art. How do you have that possibility in front of you and opt for Damn the Torpedoes instead? Maybe the idea is that everyone finishes the quote in their head and the real album title is the part that doesn't need to be spelled out.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

If you're wondering why you don't really recall the album, here's part of the reason:

It's... no Layla or Sgt Pepper, that's for sure. And even if you recall the cover, you may not recall what title is dimly written on it. Given the kind of album art that was being put out in the 70s and 80s AND the evocative title suggesting so many possibilities, this is extra disappointing.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

If I had a nickel for every time I missed a FJ by not paying attention to the word "admiral" in the clue, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice. WAGed "Free Bird" even though I know it's not an album.

Whitney looked sharp early on but I'm surprised she only tried to ring in 5 times in DJ. It seems all three as a whole weren't buzzing in much that round and there were some curious stand and stares throughout the entire game.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:04 pm Never knew he was a Southern rocker.

Got the quote right away but never heard of the album. So is it the first three words, the last three, or the whole thing? Decided having a swear word in the title makes it edgier so I went with the first three.
He grew up in Gainesville, FL. Lynyrd Skynyrd came from Jacksonville. Hard to classify one as Southern without the other. I got the quote right because it tickled a memory about an album title, though I couldn't have named the artist until well after Think Music expired.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 pmSince Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't a person, I had no other group names, much less album titles.
Technically, Lynyrd Skynyrd is a real person. They named the band after Leonard Skinner, a PE teacher at their high school.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I thought of Tom Petty immediately, and have always heard him referred to as "southern" - the "Southern Accents" album and its marketing heavily featured the confederate flag (which he later came to regret).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm Technically, Lynyrd Skynyrd is a real person. They named the band after Leonard Skinner, a PE teacher at their high school.
.....who got ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Golf

Post by Golf »

hansenkd wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am I'm all for the gutsy late DD wager, but I always wonder why not at least leave yourself a few dollars to avoid being ignominiously shut out of FJ, which is extraordinarily likely on a miss. Especially if the other two are close and the all-in wager doesn't secure a runaway. Wins with $1 have happened. So why not just leave that buck there for a tiny safety net with just a couple of clues left and LTaM warning given? Or, since you can't secure the runaway, why not just wager enough to lock out the others on a potential TS, as this turned out to be? Any thoughts?
Unlike most contestants, his DD wager showed he was actually playing to win the game. If he misses, he has zero chance to win, so being on stage for FJ is irrelevant. In this case, I don't think he can wager enough to secure a TS win while also having a chance to win on a miss. Therefore might as well make it a TDD as every additional dollar you are leading by can increase winning chances.

All a contestant can do is make a wager that shows the highest winning chances at game's end. Emotional desires such as being on stage no matter what for FJ shouldn't factor into this decision at all. I believe this DD wager did so. I don't consider it gutsy, rather an optimal wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 pmSince Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't a person, I had no other group names, much less album titles.
Technically, Lynyrd Skynyrd is a real person. They named the band after Leonard Skinner, a PE teacher at their high school.
Ehh...I still wouldn't say that makes Lynyrd a -real- person...
alan tiger wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 pm " ... a Civil War quote by a Union admiral."
how many *other* union admirals can you name? who commanded the monitor? or the hunley?
so it's gotta be an instaget.
this boomer had never heard of the album or had a guess at the artist.
(The Hunley was a CSA submarine. And it went through 3 commanders apparently. Its namesake was the likely commander during its 2nd sinking, so Hunley gives you partial credit on that one)
cf1140 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 pm I said "Full Speed Ahead."

Damb
Ditto. It was a coinflip for me. "Damn the torpedoes" or "Full speed ahead". Silly me thinking 'Damn' was too risky for a rock album.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:29 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:14 pm Even leaving out the "and his band", for some reason I don't think of Tom Petty when I think of Southern rock.
Glad someone else agrees. Just because he was born in Florida doesn't make him a Southern rocker. :x
Did know the album, tho :mrgreen:
Quite the opposite, actually. Every southerner knows Florida isn't the south.
--
Drowning in the pool
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:28 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:29 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:14 pm Even leaving out the "and his band", for some reason I don't think of Tom Petty when I think of Southern rock.
Glad someone else agrees. Just because he was born in Florida doesn't make him a Southern rocker. :x
Did know the album, tho :mrgreen:
Quite the opposite, actually. Every southerner knows Florida isn't the south.
I think the saying with Florida is that the further south you go the further north you get. The panhandle seems like the south judging by the number of armed pickup trucks with Confederate flags. I don't know Gainesville, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's more part of that culture than of whatever you might find in Orlando or Tampa or Miami.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Took about ten seconds to settle on “Damn the Torpedos”. But…I was in high school when this came out, bought it shortly after release (after hearing “Refugee” on the radio), was living in a place where AOR FM radio was dominated by Southern rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, Marshall Tucker Band, etc., but oddly enough almost no Allman Brothers - and to this day I don’t consider the ABB to really be Southern rock). The album got heavy rotation on the two stations I could pick up, but it was never ever considered as Southern rock. Terrible clue….

…which seems to be the watchword for this season. Maybe they should fire the whole writing staff and start over. I’ve bern in a pattern where I will watch for a while, and after several episodes, the combo of terrible clue writing plus Mayim’s dogged persistence at not getting better at hosting just saps my will to watch, the episodes pile up on the DVR, then I delete all but the four or five newest and start again.