FJs for the 6/20/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/20/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

From the Greek for "alone", it was nixed by Parliament in 1649 after being deemed "unnecessary, burdensome & dangerous"
24%
From Greek for "chief" & "sea", this word originally referred to the Aegean, known for its many island groups
54%
This author first thought of a parrot before choosing another bird "equally capable of speech"
68%
This classic album by a Southern rocker gets its title from a Civil War quote by a Union admiral
51%
Each of the 3 films for which he won an Oscar, from 1975, 1983 & 1997, also garnered a Best Lead Actress Oscar
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
THE ZODIAC SIGN... $2000 box DD: Represented by a creature that Zeus turned into to abduct Europa
57%
ON PLANET POP CULTURE $1200 box DD: This member of singing royalty said, "Rod Stewart, Elton John & I were going to form a band... called Hair, Nose & Teeth"
35%
PEOPLE IN POETRY $1600 box DD: His poem "America" says, "Burroughs is in Tangiers I don't think he'll come back it's sinister"
39%
Stevenson was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
16%
Damn! My incorrect response for the Thursday FJ! clue was Full Speed Ahead.
8%
"Southern rocker" threw me off for solving the Thursday FJ! clue.
18%
The classic album, Damn the Torpedoes, by this Southern rocker gets its title from a Civil War quote by a Union admiral - I get Tom Petty with this version of the clue.
27%
If the Thursday FJ! clue names the album and asks for the artist I do not solve it correctly.
46%
I have seen Jack Nicholson's Oscar-winning performance in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
62%
I have seen Jack Nicholson's Oscar-winning performance in Terms of Endearment.
34%
I have seen Jack Nicholson's Oscar-winning performance in As Good as It Gets.
57%
For showoff points, I could have named the three movies above as well as the winning actresses: Louise Fletcher, Shirley MacLaine and Helen Hunt.
27%
Dustin Hoffman was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%

Total votes: 79

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/20/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH HISTORY

6/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Greek for "alone", it was nixed by Parliament in 1649 after being deemed "unnecessary, burdensome & dangerous"

6/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY WORDS

6/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From Greek for "chief" & "sea", this word originally referred to the Aegean, known for its many island groups

6/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERATURE

6/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This author first thought of a parrot before choosing another bird "equally capable of speech"

6/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC ALBUMS

6/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This classic album by a Southern rocker gets its title from a Civil War quote by a Union admiral

6/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING ACTORS

6/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Each of the 3 films for which he won an Oscar, from 1975, 1983 & 1997, also garnered a Best Lead Actress Oscar

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the monarchy
archipelago
Edgar Allan Poe
Damn the Torpedoes
Jack Nicholson
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 0-1-2-0-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three missed Daily Doubles.

THE ZODIAC SIGN... $2000 box DD: Represented by a creature that Zeus turned into to abduct Europa

ON PLANET POP CULTURE $1200 box DD: This member of singing royalty said, "Rod Stewart, Elton John & I were going to form a band... called Hair, Nose & Teeth"

PEOPLE IN POETRY $1600 box DD: His poem "America" says, "Burroughs is in Tangiers I don't think he'll come back it's sinister"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Taurus
Freddie Mercury
Allen Ginsberg
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/20/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Nothing on both Monday & Tuesday
"Fire When Ready" on Thursday.

Did not have category in mind on Planets DD.
Did not pick up on Burroughs hint on "America" DD.

Had no idea about matching the album to Tom Petty although I know some of the songs on it.
Knew all the Jack movies and co-stars.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Coulda woulda shoulda didna.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No answer (tried to think of something Parliament would have considered, and rejected, replacing the monarchy with); ocean (desperation guess).

As ever, classic rock is a blindspot for me. Got the right part of the right quote by sheer luck, but couldn't have named Petty. I wasn't going to connect "Southern rocker" with Petty, but even if I did I couldn't name any of his albums and probably would have tried to do something with "the waiting is the hardest part."

100% sure it was Nicholson, could've named Cuckoo's Nest (which I've seen) and Fletcher at the time, and knew exactly what movie he won for in 1997 alongside Helen Hunt but couldn't pull up the title As Good as It Gets (haven't seen) until today. Terms of Endearment (haven't seen) was no more on my radar than the last time it came up in Final.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :| :mrgreen:

Tue - Nothin
Thu - Full Speed Ahead
Would not have gotten Tom Petty from the album

Seen all three
Only would've gotten One Flew Over, Terms and Fletcher for showoff points at the time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I took note of "admiral" on Thursday during the music (unlike with the Trafalgar FJ earlier this month), but I thought the "Damn the torpedoes" quote was earlier than the Civil War, and none of it rang a bell as an album title, and I kept looking for southern rockers and Civil War quotes until time ran out.

I was only good for Fletcher and Hunt for the Jack Nicholson movies. If Shirley MacLaine had had a last name that I could associate with bows and arrows, maybe I could have thought of her too.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I've seen the movies and could name the actresses...I'm even interested in the awards...just not much for memorizing lists... :roll: (Not that I wouldn't review if I got on the show!)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday’s wording totally confused me.
Would have gotten Friday at one time, but have lost interest in the Oscars and could not get to Nicholson from the actresses.

Didn’t focus on the “planet” part of the category, otherwise probably would have gotten Mercury.

No issues with “southern rocker”. Thought it was a Petty album, but not with high confidence.

Given the movies, could come up with Fletcher and MacLaine, not sure about Hunt.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

What a bad week!

I have seen all three of the Jack Nicholson movies
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"Southern rocker" totally threw me off. Stevie Ray Vaughn was the only individual artist I could think of that might be considered southern rock but didn't think any of his album titles would be a quote from the Civil War (and none of them are well known enough for a Jeopardy! final). I switched to thinking of popular album titles that could possibly be a quote and ended up with Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell (which I wouldn't consider southern rock but nothing better was coming). If the album title was given I definitely would've been able to answer with Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers). I'm also fairly certain I would've gotten it if the clue was just name a quote from a Civil War admiral that's also the title of a well regarded album.

I've seen OFOTCN and AGAIG but not TOE.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:31 am I've seen OFOTCN and AGAIG but not TOE.
I'm kind of jealous of all the people on this board who haven't seen Terms of Endearment.