Monday, June 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, June 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Nice to finally play a game on time for once... :roll:

If the Lambo pic wasn't cropped, that tractor would've spoiled it easily
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ferr ... rghini.jpg

So close to back to back 'King' answers!

Meme's second go as an FJ response: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5916
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:48 pm Lewis Hamilton is the only thing I know about F1. Probably shouldn't have been in the bottom row.
I didn't recognize him at all. I mean, I guess he looked a little like Lin-Manuel Miranda. But that wasn't enough to make me guess Hamilton.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Armandillo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 pm That guy in the middle sure looks familiar! :D
Congrats on getting on the show! You did get some unfriendly boards without the pop culture and a few trivia Pavlovs that hit your wheelhouse.

So I'm late to the party for Formula 1 building a US fan base. Now that Soccer is our national obsession (per predictions from the 1990's.... and 1980's.... and 1970's), is there room for both F1 and pickleball?

I got to meme and couldn't think of anything better, although the idea of it being a unit of measure didn't quite seem fitting. If I'd remembered "trope", I might have had conflict, but the same disconnect applies to that also.

Another Richmond over Montgomery here.

It's the lightest stable subatomic particle (that we know about)
I immediately chose neutrino which we know to have mass, but can't put a value on it. There's even an electron neutrino to fit the category. I assume that "stable" pins it to the electron because the mu, tau, and electron neutrinos all transmogrify according to some weird rules.
And what is up with the "that we know about" parenthetical? Can we put that on all the clues?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:09 pm .

It's the lightest stable subatomic particle (that we know about)
I immediately chose neutrino which we know to have mass, but can't put a value on it. There's even an electron neutrino to fit the category. I assume that "stable" pins it to the electron because the mu, tau, and electron neutrinos all transmogrify according to some weird rules.
And what is up with the "that we know about" parenthetical? Can we put that on all the clues?
Science "E" pins it to an "e" word. Generally you don't need to know much transmogrify with second-row clues.

I did almost guess "ectopus" for the top-row clue, but apparently the only such thing is an imaginary sort of ghost octopus.
I'm smart and I want respect.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Congrats to Armand for both getting on the show and for coming up with a memorable FJ response.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

These were weird boards for me. I only got 15 right in the J! round, the lowest total since I’ve been keeping track, but then I got 25 right in DJ. FJ was an Instaget for me. Sorry it didn’t work out better for you, Armand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got it, but that was the kind of FJ where I can see easily missing it if your mind goes in the wrong direction.

Man, Armand, you seemed like you were out for blood there! Way to play the game! I'm sure you could have won on any other given day or with another set of boards. The J! gods are fickle. I hope you had fun nonetheless, despite it being worse than doing stand-up.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Armandillo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:59 pm My game was the first game taped of the day. I am fairly certain it was Friday, April 29.

For those that care and to save a little face:

1) I am a pop culture person, so these categories were nightmare boards. As soon as I saw them I knew I had no shot.

2) After I got negged for my stupid failure to answer in the form of the question, I mentally shut down and literally just got buzzer shy and stopped ringing in, despite knowing answers.

3) I figured out FJ with about 3 seconds to go. Realizing that I wouldn't write it down in time, I just let it go.I probably could have written it on the paper card they give you, but really didn't care at that point.

Everyone was incredibly nice and I do not regret appearing. It was a fun experience, even if the outcome was bad.

After the game, Mayim asked me "So what was worse, doing stand-up in college or this?" I quickly responded "this, by far" which elicited much laughter.
Congrats on making the show.
What was your timeline with auditioning?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Armandillo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 pm That guy in the middle sure looks familiar! :D
Damn! Wish I'd known you were on!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I had no idea what to do with that word salad in FJ!... Couldn't even hazard a guess. Looking at the correct response, I was like... Um... Ohhhhhhkayyyy....

I pay even less attention to F1 racing than most on here... I'm sure I've heard a 7-time champ mentioned in the past, but no way was that gonna stick. And the pic was no help. But the other four clues were gettable for me despite the lack of F1 interest.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Meme and vine came to mind for me, went the right way.

Always great to see a familiar face on stage, congrats Armand! +1 for curious what your audition timeline looked like if you don't mind sharing.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Why did Museum need BMS to art museum but "who is King" was fine?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The clue about King referred to a female whose husband was killed in 1968. Who else could it have been?
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:19 am
Armandillo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:59 pm My game was the first game taped of the day. I am fairly certain it was Friday, April 29.

For those that care and to save a little face:

1) I am a pop culture person, so these categories were nightmare boards. As soon as I saw them I knew I had no shot.

2) After I got negged for my stupid failure to answer in the form of the question, I mentally shut down and literally just got buzzer shy and stopped ringing in, despite knowing answers.

3) I figured out FJ with about 3 seconds to go. Realizing that I wouldn't write it down in time, I just let it go.I probably could have written it on the paper card they give you, but really didn't care at that point.

Everyone was incredibly nice and I do not regret appearing. It was a fun experience, even if the outcome was bad.

After the game, Mayim asked me "So what was worse, doing stand-up in college or this?" I quickly responded "this, by far" which elicited much laughter.
Congrats on making the show.
What was your timeline with auditioning?

Honestly, I am a little hazy on the auditioning timeline. I vaguely remember doing an interview over Zoom in Octoberish of 2020. I got the call in early April 2022 asking me to come in later that month. I had totally forgotten I was in the pool and was quite surprised. I must have just made it at the end of my window.

My dates could be off, so sorry if that I can't be more helpful.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Armandillo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 am
Honestly, I am a little hazy on the auditioning timeline. I vaguely remember doing an interview over Zoom in Octoberish of 2020. I got the call in early April 2022 asking me to come in later that month. I had totally forgotten I was in the pool and was quite surprised. I must have just made it at the end of my window.

My dates could be off, so sorry if that I can't be more helpful.
Thanks.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!