Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:50 am According to Wikipedia, Sesame Street premiered on November 10, 1969. It says that in July 1969, five sample episodes "were presented to preschoolers in 60 homes throughout Philadelphia and in day care centers in New York City".

IMDb, however, gives 21 July 1969 as the release date: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063951/releaseinfo

I'm not sure what the correct information is (maybe Wikipedia is wrong), but if it's true that Sesame Street was never broadcast on television before November 1969, then it's a bit unfair for Jeopardy! to refer to "its July 21, 1969 pilot episode".

I thought it was weird that this is the first I ever heard of Sesame Street debuting during the Apollo 11 mission.
The test episodes were broadcast July 21-25, 1969, on the secondary public TV station in Philadelphia (Channel 35, then known as WUHY-TV), with zero fanfare -- they might not have even appeared in local TV listings -- because the broadcast was really intended only for the households that were prearranged to serve as focus groups. (Apparently, the New York City testing was conducted by showing copies of the episodes on film.)

November 10, 1969, was the first time that a "real" episode of "Sesame Street" was broadcast nationally, so that's the date that's officially considered the "Sesame Street" premiere date.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Pretty groundbreaking for its day with a black man as the “host” and leading person in the neighborhood with a job as a person in authority (teacher).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got it wrong, but the clue has to have at least something to get you to the proper question. Yet another clunker.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:40 am John Adams, the composer whose Nixon in China comes up on J! from time to time, has a work called Grand Pianola Music-
That was one of my earliest CD purchases when I got a CD player for Christmas 1986.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I got Sesame Street instantly By ignoring that irrelevant detail that the pilot aired or was filmed the day after the first moon landing. I also ignored the irrelevancy of the letter d but the relevance of the letter itself. The year was key but not the date.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.