Thursday, June 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, June 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Ironhorse wrote: I don't understand the notion of this clue being poorly written. It seems crystal clear to me.
I concur. It wasn't like the word salad that was Monday's FJ.

Two consecutive days solving a triple stumper FJ and a fourth podium win today has me feeling pretty good.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 pm I would like to request that every clue from now on ends with the phrase "don't pick the wrong one". Think of all the incorrect responses that could be prevented if they simply instruct the contestants not to provide them in the first place! :roll:
That would go well with the science-E clue the other day about the lightest sub-atomic particle (as far as we know).
Spoiler
Which was wrong because the electron neutrino is lighter, which it is, and it is a particle, and it starts with 'e'.
I drove through Las Vegas, New Mexico a few months ago and therefore had no chance of clearing the chaff from my brain.
I have mentally noted the juxtaposition of the two Portlands before, but would never dream that the Oregon one was named after a dowdy little town in Maine. I see Portland as a generic name much like Springfield and Midway. At one time I think Fairview was the most common name, and some southern state had SEVEN of them (citation not forthcoming, don't ingrain this as anything but a resemblance to the truth).
FWIW, I researched York, England, and it's about 160K, about one fiftieth of the Apple. Luckily, the writers pinned the clue to two U.S. cities, or this would be a minor train wreck. (Never mind, I just re-read the clue and totally missed the 1845 TOM. That is pretty helpful, actually.)
The single letter clue for shuck/shack is easy if you start from the corn part of the clue. I only know two things you do with corn, and since Jimmy crack corn and I don't care, it must be shuck.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Poll request: I have been to either Portland, OR or Portland, ME.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

After one T-stan is eliminated, the second T-stan clue becomes very easy. Writers were being cute - wrong $ placement though.
I didn't hear Griffiths.. Just Griffith. Seemed like there is no edit. Good catch by Mayim without the awkward pause.

FJ was quite easy as Portland and Charleston are the same named cities that J! likes.
I wanted to see if only Portland response would work (without Oregon)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 pm I don't understand the notion of this clue being poorly written. It seems crystal clear to me.
Concur. I think some people would have preferred the clue said “Please write ‘What is Portland’.” :D
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got this FJ - Portland popped into my mind immediately, and though I wasn’t sure, I couldn’t think of anything better
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Subarus on parade, in the words of AP. Two guess New York for FJ???? Is there any other New York that they could name? I get FJ with no confidence.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 pm Subarus on parade, in the words of AP. Two guess New York for FJ???? Is there any other New York that they could name? I get FJ with no confidence.
Presumably they were thinking of New York as having been named after York, England (which, according to Wikipedia, is not exactly true--it was named to honor a Duke of York).
Peachbox wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 pm Poll request: I have been to either Portland, OR or Portland, ME.
I've been to both--OR in 1986, ME in 1997. I did get this FJ!, though I might have been a bit lucky that it occurred to me before any logical distractors did. The year seemed to make sense.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:41 pm.
The correct response? Just not how my head was processing. Oh, exact same name cities with one having a lot more people than the other? Why didn't you say so? How about a bone of miles apart of distance? Or not a state at the time? At least I was as lost as the contestants.
Just putting miles apart would have made this a good clue... I think...
They said both were US cities...

Also, is the trivia about how Portland, OR, was half a coin flip away from being named Boston, OR, that obscure 'round these parts?
https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/arti ... and_penny/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not get Chris Stapleton.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I lived halfway between Portland, OR and Salem, OR for 18 years, so this was right smack in my wheelhouse.
yclept

Post by yclept »

As someone who loves this kind of geographical trivia, I was mad at myself for coming up with nothing. Went down the wrong path completely - thinking of cities that may have added “ville” to the name of another city, etc (ie, Jackson, Mississippi and Jacksoville, FL - though I didn’t blurt that out because I didn’t feel it would be correct). My brain just didn’t go to two EXACTLY named cities, which is more obvious in retrospect.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Also, is the trivia about how Portland, OR, was half a coin flip away from being named Boston, OR, that obscure 'round these parts?
https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/arti ... and_penny/
Wasn't too obscure for me; having heard that story, that's actually how I got it. Just imagine: We could've been watching the Boston Celtics take on the Boston Trailblazers all these years.

Ketosis for Ketogenic? Judges?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 pm I would like to request that every clue from now on ends with the phrase "don't pick the wrong one". Think of all the incorrect responses that could be prevented if they simply instruct the contestants not to provide them in the first place! :roll:
My god! If only they started doing that back in at least 2004...Ken Jennings would still be there!

Oh...wait...never mind.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Were they looking for ketosis on DD3?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

thenextofken wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:46 am Ketosis for Ketogenic? Judges?
Definitely. I suspect that's what they were going for.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cf1140 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:00 am Were they looking for ketosis on DD3?
It seems like it, although it also seems like they might have deliberately phrased the clue so that either word could be used.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm FJ was a gimme to me.

I guess it's hard to see Portland, Maine as a large city.
It's harder to see Las Vegas, New Mexico, as a large one. Which is one in the only pair of same-named cities I could come up with in 30 seconds, knowing that LV, Nevada is much more than 10 times as large.... more like 50. And I wasn't sure about the dates. Portland was an "Oh, of course" after the reveal, but I just couldn't get to it in 30 seconds. Maybe in 2 or 3 minutes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:51 pm
I drove through Las Vegas, New Mexico a few months ago and therefore had no chance of clearing the chaff from my brain.
Had been by it several times on trips to ABQ and back but never stopped until we had car trouble and were stranded there for a couple of days. Very pleasant town and some of the friendliest people we've ever encountered. Delightful place to be stranded.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:51 pm The single letter clue for shuck/shack is easy if you start from the corn part of the clue. I only know two things you do with corn, and since Jimmy crack corn and I don't care, it must be shuck.
I've participated in husking bees, but "husk" didn't lead me anywhere productive.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 pm I didn't hear Griffiths.. Just Griffith. Seemed like there is no edit. Good catch by Mayim without the awkward pause.
I didn't hear the "s" either and was a little confused. I backed it up and still didn't hear it. Finally, I turned on closed captioning to see it. It must have been more clear in the studio since Mayim called it incorrect and Hoa knew to answer correctly.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!