EP Michael Davies announces multiple hosts for multiple versions of Jeopardy! Soon

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

EP Michael Davies announces multiple hosts for multiple versions of Jeopardy! Soon

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I found quotes from this article about Michael Davies looking to expand the show into different versions.

"Jeopardy! EP Teases Announcement of 'Multiple Hosts' Very Soon
The search for a Jeopardy! host to replace Alex Trebek after his 2020 death was extended after an "awkward" controversy involving former executive producer Mike Richards"

"Who is the new host of Jeopardy? Sorry, we were looking for new hosts."

"Executive producer Michael Davies said the long-running game show hopes to have a hosting announcement very, very soon." .

"But with all of our plans for Jeopardy! — which is more Jeopardy!, not less, more versions — we're going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience, to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward," Davies told Variety at Friday's 49th Daytime Emmy Awards.

This makes me curious about what versions Davies is intending to implement. As far as we know, the National College Championship aired in primetime back in February, and Mayim hosted the event. And Celebrity Jeopardy! is coming back, but also in primetime because of the success of Celebrity Wheel of Fortune. Here is what I am wondering what Davies intends to do with expanding Jeopardy as well as each version's respective host:
  • Ken Jennings becomes the permanent host for the daily syndicated series (including the Professors Tournament, Second Chance Tournament, and the Tournament of Champions)
  • Mayim Bialik hosts Celebrity Jeopardy!
  • Jeff Probst hosts the National College Championship
  • The Teen Tournament is also brought back but airing in primetime and possibly rebranded and reformatted, Eric Newhouse or Jeff Probst hosts
  • Kids Jeopardy is revived, but airs on Saturday mornings. A rule from Jep! (the first kids spinoff) is carried over, where everyone plays the Final Jeopardy! round, even when finishing Double Jeopardy! with zero or a negative score; in the case where a player finishes DJ! with 0 or negative, he or she is given a nominal score of 1000 with which to wager in the final round. Bob Bergen hosts
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: EP Michael Davies announces multiple hosts for multiple versions of Jeopardy! Soon

Post by triviawayne »

Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: EP Michael Davies announces multiple hosts for multiple versions of Jeopardy! Soon

Post by opusthepenguin »

My guess (or maybe just hope) is that they're trying to bury the naming of Ken as permanent host of the regular show in a flurry of other announcements. If they minimize the fanfare around Ken specifically, he might escape the Mike Richards treatment.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm My guess (or maybe just hope) is that they're trying to bury the naming of Ken as permanent host of the regular show in a flurry of other announcements. If they minimize the fanfare around Ken specifically, he might escape the Mike Richards treatment.
Maybe if they name LeVar as host of the new Jep! this will please the masses, focus the haters on someone other than Ken, and will leverage for the benefit of the Jeopardy! franchise Mr. Burton's extensive experience catering to children. If the new Jep! flounders after its first season, it won't leave a big stain on the franchise, and the powers-that-be can then decide whether they want to blame Mr. Burton and try again with a new host who'll cause less strain for the production staff, or whether they just want to kill the spinoff show.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Xu Donym wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm My guess (or maybe just hope) is that they're trying to bury the naming of Ken as permanent host of the regular show in a flurry of other announcements. If they minimize the fanfare around Ken specifically, he might escape the Mike Richards treatment.
Maybe if they name LeVar as host of the new Jep! this will please the masses, focus the haters on someone other than Ken, and will leverage for the benefit of the Jeopardy! franchise Mr. Burton's extensive experience catering to children. If the new Jep! flounders after its first season, it won't leave a big stain on the franchise, and the powers-that-be can then decide whether they want to blame Mr. Burton and try again with a new host who'll cause less strain for the production staff, or whether they just want to kill the spinoff show.
That's not a bad idea. Probably better than my anonymously submitted suggestion that they simultaneously announce Ken for regular Jeopardy! and Kevin Spacey for Jep!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, but who will replace Johnny Gilbert when his time comes?
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:06 pm Yes, but who will replace Johnny Gilbert when his time comes?
Maggie Sajak?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:06 pm Yes, but who will replace Johnny Gilbert when his time comes?
Matt Berry
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

We were planning on Betty White, so now we're not sure.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Some names come to mind as to who might replace Johnny Gilbert as the show's announcer:

- Jim Thornton
- Jimmy McGuire
- Rich Fields
- George Gray
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What about Buzzy? He recently teased that he has some tv project in the works
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I privately hope that John Roderick would consent to become Jeopardy!'s new announcer under a Ken Jennings regime...
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Asking the important questions. All my best Jeopardy memories are narrated by Johnny Gilbert.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:03 pm I privately hope that John Roderick would consent to become Jeopardy!'s new announcer under a Ken Jennings regime...
But their chat at the top of the show would last for the entire episode!
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Said it before, and I'll say it again: Wally Wingert.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Xu Donym wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm Maybe if they name LeVar as host of the new Jep! this will please the masses, focus the haters on someone other than Ken, and will leverage for the benefit of the Jeopardy! franchise Mr. Burton's extensive experience catering to children. If the new Jep! flounders after its first season, it won't leave a big stain on the franchise, and the powers-that-be can then decide whether they want to blame Mr. Burton and try again with a new host who'll cause less strain for the production staff, or whether they just want to kill the spinoff show.
"less strain for the production staff"?
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Mario500 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:48 am
Xu Donym wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm Maybe if they name LeVar as host of the new Jep! this will please the masses, focus the haters on someone other than Ken, and will leverage for the benefit of the Jeopardy! franchise Mr. Burton's extensive experience catering to children. If the new Jep! flounders after its first season, it won't leave a big stain on the franchise, and the powers-that-be can then decide whether they want to blame Mr. Burton and try again with a new host who'll cause less strain for the production staff, or whether they just want to kill the spinoff show.
"less strain for the production staff"?
There were reports from multiple sources that Mr. Burton's guest host programs took substantially longer to edit in post-production than most of the other guest host programs. Not only were those episodes pretty ragged when viewers saw them on the air; production staff had made herculean efforts to fix problems and tidy up the programs even to the degree that they did.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 pm
  • Kids Jeopardy is revived, but airs on Saturday mornings. A rule from Jep! (the first kids spinoff) is carried over, where everyone plays the Final Jeopardy! round, even when finishing Double Jeopardy! with zero or a negative score; in the case where a player finishes DJ! with 0 or negative, he or she is given a nominal score of 1000 with which to wager in the final round. Bob Bergen hosts
I never saw Jep! but I remember when they started doing this for Celebrity Jeopardy. Some questions:

Is the rule that if you finish DJ with less than 1000, your score is bumped up to 1000? Because it doesn't really make sense that if you finish DJ with a score of 400, that's what you can wager in FJ, but if you finish with -200 you get 1000.

Also, when one player gets a bump to 1000, out of fairness shouldn't the other players in that game also get some kind of bump?

Imagine a low-scoring game where at the end of DJ the three scores were 1600, 1200, and 0. If it's only the player with 0 who gets a bump, then that player goes from having no chance to win the game, to a decent shot. I think in this scenario, that if they bump up the third score to 1000, then the other scores should perhaps be tripled, to 4800 and 3600, so that the third place player has less than the difference between first and second. But then, I'm not sure what they should do if the other two players are tied for the lead after DJ (e.g. scores 8000, 8000, 0).
goongas

Post by goongas »

According to the Jep! Wikipedia article, the other two scores were bumped up too.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

goongas wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:14 am According to the Jep! Wikipedia article, the other two scores were bumped up too.
Interesting. I'd hate to finish DJ in the lead with a lock game, say 13000 to 6200 to 0, and have my lock evaporate into new scores of 14000 to 7200 to 1000.