Thursday, May 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Medicine
Though its name means "against life", it's any of a class of substances used to save a life.
Spoiler
What is an antibiotic? Morgan said antidote; Caleb said antiseptic.
Kevin Yang: $16,400+$10,401=$26,801
Caleb Olson: $13,400-$6,600=$6,800
Morgan Flood: $13,400-$5,042=$8,358
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought Beast would be a 5/5, but the DD seemed like a coin flip between bees (A deadly bee weapon. Bees. My God.) and ants, and I picked wrong.

Also, I have no idea how you got monkey from $1000 in Beast. Anyone got anything on that one?

Oh yay. Another one of those damn "Here's nothing but a picture of a person and a very vague hint about them." categories. Only one I got was FDR.

Indonesia for $400 seemed far more difficult than Java, Australia and Volcano right under it, IMO.

Bard Games should've been a 5/5, but through an epic combo of gun-shyness (billiards), inability to spit the word out ("oh, not checkers, the other one, what is it again?"), slowness (King Lear, backgammon), and not knowing that tennis existed in Shakespearean times, I bombed it.

Also went 0/5 on She's So Cool, but to be fair, none of that stuff was in my age demo.

Lach Trash on She & Him.

How the hell was FJ! not a triple get?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ should've been instaget, but for what seems like the thousandth time, I mixed up my Latin and Greek, despite knowing better (or so I thought). Finally convinced my brain to get off of viv- and got to bio- with 10 seconds to spare.

The deforestation industry??!
ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh »

Just wondering, what do you guys think were the optimal wagers?
(I personally think that Kevin wagered too much)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:The deforestation industry??!
Yeah, I was kinda surprised that they gave her that. Hardly ever are the two the same thing (and yeah, not an industry).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ihsh wrote:Just wondering, what do you guys think were the optimal wagers?
Kevin definitely over-wagered. With his score, I may have simply stood pat.

The other two ... if they thought that their score was enough to make a wild card, then bet nothing. Otherwise, all-in.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

econgator wrote:

The other two ... if they thought that their score was enough to make a wild card, then bet nothing. Otherwise, all-in.
The wild card cutoff hasn't changed from yesterday. Either one of the two runners up would have be in the running for the SF with a correct response.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:

Agreed on Kevin. Fortunately for him he was able to respond correctly, or he might have seriously regretted making that wager. Don't they make sure the contestants are clear on the rules? Surely he knew that he didn't have to finish first to advance to the semi-finals, right?

I was thinking that Caleb and Morgan should bet somewhere in the $3,000-$4,000 range. Obviously it's hard to truly put ourselves in their shoes, since we know what the other wild card contenders' scores are and they don't, but I feel in that spot that I would think that anything over around $16,000 would be safe for a wild card, while at $10,000 or so I might still have a chance, so I don't necessarily think it is necessary to bet it all in that spot. I would have picked something like $3,003 or $3,010, enough to cover Kevin if he bets $0 but a few extra dollars to cover my fellow tied player in case they have the same idea. From Kevin's spot I would probably bet $10 or $15, not enough to seriously endanger my wild card position, but enough to possibly get the win if one or both trailing players bet to cover me by a dollar or two. I had no issues with Caleb or Morgan picking $6,600 or $5,042. Either would have virtually clinched a wild card spot with a correct response, and on a miss they were going to be eliminated no matter what their wagers, so they were perfectly acceptable from my perspective.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd have probably bet a few hundred just in case one of the trailers bet to top me by a dollar. He'd have been third seed in the wild card standings with a zero bet and a get by the other two, although he had no way of knowing that.

Kevin was introduced as being from Birmingham. However, he attends Spain Park High School, which is in Hoover. It is a public school, so he would have to live in Hoover to attend there, so why did they not say he is from Hoover?

Anyway, congrats to the local boy!!!!!!

Here's a link to an article about him in the local fish wrap.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/05/hoo ... _teen.html

TPH...They weren't just pictures. It said Ford was a short termer. The only recent presidents (for whom a color photo would exist) who served less than four years were Ford and JFK. I'm sure you knew that was not Kennedy. They said Wilson was a war time president. That was not Lincoln. Cleveland is known for his two non consecutive terms. I'll grant you Adams was a little tough, but that's why he is in the bottom row.

Oh, why do the hell do I bother?

I started out with antimatter on FJ and switched to the correct response right away. a bit nervous when Morgan seemed pretty confident, however.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:The only recent presidents (for whom a color photo would exist) who served less than four years were Ford and JFK. I'm sure you knew that was not Kennedy.
I did, barely, but Ford totally slipped my mind.
They said Wilson was a war time president. That was not Lincoln.
We were in a hell of a lot more than two wars, you know.
Cleveland is known for his two non consecutive terms.
I forgot what the clue said on that one, actually.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

44 clues in the Picture The Prez category would have been fine with me. That I expect to run. 5 in Bard Games was unexpected.

2012 Hit Paraders was a skunk last night while Pop Music was 3 tonight. It's all about who the writers ask for in the clues.

Hammer did you get the Gauguin clue? He comes up a lot. For the monkey if the clue had asked for rhesus do you get monkey? For Colobus it's the same thing just harder. If you have heard of the type then it's no problem.

The problem for me was the 2nd part of the FJ response. I got to anti and had antidote and antibody on my paper to look at for choices. Antibody seemed closer to the life part and that was my guess.

I think Morgan and Caleb could have been even stronger if they made it to the next round. It seemed like three very strong players got thrown into the same match too early.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:They said Wilson was a war time president. That was not Lincoln.
We were in a hell of a lot more than two wars, you know.
Seven is more than two, but not a hell of a lot more. (Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican-American War, US Civil War, Spanish-American War, WW1, WW2 are the only times the US has actually gone to war.) Most of our conflicts haven't, technically, been wars.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer did you get the Gauguin clue? He comes up a lot.
No.
MarkBarrett wrote:If you have heard of [colobus] then it's no problem.
And I haven't.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I can at least sympathize with the kids (and defend them against the "why wasn't this a triple get" crowd) - took me a while (more than half of the Think music) to even get to "anti", settled on "antidote", but wasn't happy. When Kevin's answer was revealed, I knew he had it.
teapot37 wrote:Seven is more than two, but not a hell of a lot more. (Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican-American War, US Civil War, Spanish-American War, WW1, WW2 are the only times the US has actually gone to war.) Most of our conflicts haven't, technically, been wars.
This is why I love the board, I learn things and learning is my favourite activity. Then what were the others (like Vietnam) then? (I know Korea was a "police action", and I know the repeated businesses in the Gulf aren't really wars, but I don't really know what they are either, or if they are in the same category as Vietnam)
MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer did you get the Gauguin clue? He comes up a lot.
I know that he comes up as a Pavlov for "Tahiti", but for some reason, my mind thinks "Monet" is the Pavlovian answer for "Tahiti", gotta retrain it. (If it's not Tahiti to distinguish Manet from Monet, what is it? Or should I just hither myself to the Art & Artists Pavlov list?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Gauguin, for some reason, always eludes me. As soon as I hear "Tahiti painter", my brain freezes.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

dhkendall wrote:I can at least sympathize with the kids (and defend them against the "why wasn't this a triple get" crowd) - took me a while (more than half of the Think music) to even get to "anti", settled on "antidote", but wasn't happy. When Kevin's answer was revealed, I knew he had it.
teapot37 wrote:Seven is more than two, but not a hell of a lot more. (Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican-American War, US Civil War, Spanish-American War, WW1, WW2 are the only times the US has actually gone to war.) Most of our conflicts haven't, technically, been wars.
This is why I love the board, I learn things and learning is my favourite activity. Then what were the others (like Vietnam) then? (I know Korea was a "police action", and I know the repeated businesses in the Gulf aren't really wars, but I don't really know what they are either, or if they are in the same category as Vietnam)
The 'Korean police action' was not authorized by Congress, which must make 'a formal declaration of war' in order for the W-word to apply to 'armed conflicts'.
('Police action' in itself was a United nations term, and Truman preferred it.)
Vietnam was a 'war' because of the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. All the early-70s 'extensions' into Laos and Cambodia made the definition murkier.
The 'repeated businesses in the Gulf'...Persian, not Tonkin...were both wars, because that's what everyone called them, regardless of Congressional powers and political semantics. The second war was followed by the Iraqi insurgency.
Afghanistan..well, however many nations try to 'control' it, the place has been a cluster-fornication for all of them.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was a bit annoyed at Alex last night for constantly yapping about how juniors were doing so great in the tourney. Usually I like Alex but that rankled. Extremely easy FJ.

I'm watching Redeye right now & they have a funny bit about Dana Perino getting coached for Power Pkayers.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I learned about Paul Gaugin via Jeopardy, but every team I see a name for a painting like that, I know who they mean.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013