Friday, July 1, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 1, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Shayan obviously hated the categories in the Jeopardy round, but luckily (for him), he didn’t get buried. Did well to get himself going in DJ to give himself a shot to win.

Eleanor grabbed the lead despite a 6-for-12 buzz rate in DJ. Adding $2,018 on the DD was a big help, even though many would say she should have wagered more. Not saying you are wrong.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks, tribal elders for the hand holding. My bad pick was also fueled by knowing my (pre-retirement) Dutch business partner takes winter holidays in Suriname. It seemed like a funny destination choice at the time until he told me it was formerly Dutch (some G-word). I could see a name change as a token gesture while maintaining possession for mutual benefit. I don't mind bad guesses fueled by information and ignorance :).

Sorry, refrigerator, no time to re-do the baking soda. I've wasted it on this screen. Maybe tomorrow 8-) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 pm Thanks, tribal elders for the hand holding. My bad pick was also fueled by knowing my (pre-retirement) Dutch business partner takes winter holidays in Suriname. It seemed like a funny destination choice at the time until he told me it was formerly Dutch (some G-word).
Dutch is also the official language in Suriname with 60% being native speakers and, I imagine, most people in the cities being able to get along in it. So it would be similar to an American vacationing in Belize. Except so many other places accommodate English speakers that that's not as much of a draw. Even Sint Maarten, officially part of the Netherlands, has mostly English speakers who learned Dutch as a second language.

By the way, your fridge has no nose.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I was wondering whether they would accept the spelling "Guyana" for the official "Guiana". I recall a game from years ago when somebody mispronounced Guiana (properly "ghee-an-a") as if it were spelled Guyana ("guy-an-a"). Or maybe it was the other way around. After Alex initially accepted it, the judges later reversed the decision and disallowed it. The reversal seemed excessively pedantic to me at the time. I can't seem to find that game on j-archive.com. If memory serves, it was maybe about five or seven years ago, long enough ago that I could easily have the details wrong but recently enough that I'm sure something of the sort happened.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

November 4, 2019. First game of the ToC, so they shouldn't be cutting any slack anyway. The asked for the South American territory and the contestant responded with Guyana, which should've been negged outright. Alex gave a BMS and the contestant got it. There is a rather lengthy discussion if you're willing to dig,
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

That may be the game I was thinking of, but I'm not sure. It doesn't match my memory very closely, though it's certainly closer than anything I was able to find when I searched j-archive.com.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:40 pm I truly would have been shocked had this not been a triple get. South America, French possession? Gee, what could that be? Lots of Kavh trash for me tonight.
The answer said European possession, not French.

Since French Guiana is a full part of France, I don’t consider it to be a “possession”. Is Hawaii a possession of the United States? I also don’t think French Guyana should have been accepted since there is a place called Guyana.

I guessed the Falkland Islands. I agree she should have gone big on the Bible DD.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:53 pm All that was needed is "European possession Amazon". The rest was just noise.
If that wasn't a triget, then I would've lost all hope for J!
I missed Friday's game and I'm just now seeing the clue (on the board) for the first time.

I agree. Where's the Amazon? OK, got that. How many European possessions are there? Um, got that too. OK for instaget FJ.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

bibliophage wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:13 pm I was wondering whether they would accept the spelling "Guyana" for the official "Guiana". I recall a game from years ago when somebody mispronounced Guiana (properly "ghee-an-a") as if it were spelled Guyana ("guy-an-a"). Or maybe it was the other way around. After Alex initially accepted it, the judges later reversed the decision and disallowed it. The reversal seemed excessively pedantic to me at the time. I can't seem to find that game on j-archive.com. If memory serves, it was maybe about five or seven years ago, long enough ago that I could easily have the details wrong but recently enough that I'm sure something of the sort happened.
I had pretty much the same memory and I think I found it from June 3 2010: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3405... DJ! category "COLONIAL NAMES FOR COUNTRIES" for $800. The clue is "British Guiana" and contestant Jeff replied Guiana (i.e. "ghee-an-a"), accepted with Alex giving the correct pronunciation, but later reversed because "researchers could not find evidence of Jeff's pronunciation". I too disagreed with the ruling as it seems to go against the rule that they accept pronunciations that could reasonably match the spelling. Especially since as a Montrealer, I usually pronounce Guy as "ghee" (as in Canadiens' great Guy Lafleur).
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Martin Luther did not post the 95 Theses on "Halloween" per se. He did it on the eve of All Saints Day. Lutherans commemorate October 31 as Reformation Day and the last Sunday in October as Reformation Sunday.

Final was easy peasy. I've done enough Sporcle quizzes that make the point that Brazil borders France.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.