FJs for the 6/27/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/27/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Partly because it was a monosyllable, this word was chosen as "a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission"
76%
At his 1892 burial, fit for a baron, the organist put music to his words, "I hope to see my Pilot face to face, when I have crost the bar"
53%
In the opening scene of its July 21, 1969 pilot episode, a man carves the letter D into wet cement
27%
This U.S. city now has 10 times the population of the other U.S. city for which it was named in 1845
68%
Mont Bellevue de l'Inini is the highest point in this European possession largely covered by the Amazon rainforest
81%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
F1 GRAND PRIX SITES $800: A mile-&-a-third straight into turn 1 & incredible views of the Caspian Sea highlight the Baku course in this country
63%
WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? $1000: Ergophobia
42%
STANNING THAT SHIP $1000: In 1807 Robert Fulton averaged about 5 mph on a 150-mile trip up the Hudson to Albany on this steamboat
38%
Byron was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with someone besides Byron who had died prior to 1892.
11%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with a show related to space travel.
6%
Dallas was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
For solving the Wednesday FJ! clue correctly I was helped more by "1969" than by "letter D into wet cement".
6%
For solving the Wednesday FJ! clue correctly I was helped more by "letter D into wet cement" than by "1969".
10%
SCIENCE WORDS $2000 box DD: A very low-carb, high-fat diet gets you into this state, when your body starts using fats to create energy - Instead of the player's "ketogenic", my response was "ketosis".
44%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue with a "New" city.
3%
Salem was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
3%
Kansas City was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
5%
I have set foot in Portland, Oregon.
32%
I have set foot in Portland, Maine.
22%
Suriname was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
I spelled, or would have spelled, French Guiana as French Guyana.
16%

Total votes: 79

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/27/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WORLD OF TODAY

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Partly because it was a monosyllable, this word was chosen as "a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission"

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS' CORNER AT WESTMINSTER ABBEY

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At his 1892 burial, fit for a baron, the organist put music to his words, "I hope to see my Pilot face to face, when I have crost the bar"

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TELEVISION HISTORY

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the opening scene of its July 21, 1969 pilot episode, a man carves the letter D into wet cement

6/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

6/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This U.S. city now has 10 times the population of the other U.S. city for which it was named in 1845

7/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

7/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mont Bellevue de l'Inini is the highest point in this European possession largely covered by the Amazon rainforest

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
meme
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Sesame Street
Portland, Oregon
French Guiana
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 1-0-0-0-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players followed by two triple stumpers.

F1 GRAND PRIX SITES $800: A mile-&-a-third straight into turn 1 & incredible views of the Caspian Sea highlight the Baku course in this country

WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? $1000: Ergophobia

STANNING THAT SHIP $1000: In 1807 Robert Fulton averaged about 5 mph on a 150-mile trip up the Hudson to Albany on this steamboat

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Azerbaijan
work
the Clermont
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/27/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Byron
Wrote nothing for 1969 TV as I was detoured to think about space shows
New York
French Guiana

No clue on kitosis/ketogenic
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: No hope for the miss.
Ketosis
French Guiana 8-)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Tuesday, guessed RL Stevenson, confusing his famous epitaph “Home is the hunter…” with “Crossing the Bar”. Died in 1894, but he is buried about as far from Westminster Abbey as you can be.
No guess Wednesday

Went with ketosis
Have visited Portland Maine once, never been to Oregon
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :|

Tue - Negatory
Wed - I was thinking Twilight Zone, but it felt too late for that (and it was, by 10 years) yet kept thinking along those lines
Fri - Fr. Guyana; I knew it wasn't with the 'y' but for the life of me couldn't remember the correct spelling

Ergophobia was a face slap on the reveal.

Ketosis
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :oops:
:mrgreen: :( :(
Should have remembered the Clermont...
Epic fail on Fri. At first, I saw the name as Italian...When I couldn't think of an Italian possession in SA and looked closer at the name I moved on to France...I was thinking French Guiana had changed its name...You would think that when I couldn't remember the "new name" I'd write down French Guiana after all...But no, I kept stumbling and wrote Suriname as time ran out... :oops: Another day, I get it easy... :roll:
I also admit I don't know the words ketogenic or ketosis, and I don't think I care to...
Last edited by davey on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After two tough weeks for me, this week still felt tough, and I was surprised to see I went 4/5; I was sure I had only gotten three FJs, but I guess missing Sesame Street just expanded in my mind. (I said Brady Bunch just to have something.)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Went with Lord Byron
No clue on 1969 TV
Got the Portland clue. I have been in Portland, Oregon; but not Portland, Maine
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Byron, Dallas (desperation guess)

Never been to Oregon or Maine.
Spelled Guiana correctly.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Thought of meme right away.
Knew Byron was too early. Lord Tennyson fit the time period.
Dragnet
Thought of Portland fairly quickly. Couldn't think of anything I liked better.
European possession in the Amazon? There's only one place I know of that it could be. French Guiana. Spelled that way.

Knew Baku was Azerbaijan. Too slow on ergophobia; should've had it. Zero clue on Fulton steamboat. Had to open the spoiler box just now to remember what it was.

Ketosis.

Been on a layover in Portland, OR, either on the way from Orange County, CA to Vancouver, BC or on the way back. Seattle was the layover in the other direction. I vaguely remember Portland airport having paintings up on the walls. Unless it was Seattle, but I don't think so. Am I crazy? Anyway, I didn't check the box because airports are like embassies. You're not really on local ground.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Forgetting ergophobia would be like forgetting I'm a mammal, or what planet I live on.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Meme seemed cute-sy enough for J!, and I didn't think of trope to worry about the choice.
No chance. I didn't know of any association of Lords and Barons. If our family didn't have the board game "Authors" growing up (worst game ever), I wouldn't even have heard of Alfred Lord Tennyson.
No chance. I took the D for Dallas, and knew it had to be about 5-10 years too soon. I didn't get distracted by the moon landing, but the writers should have just said "summer 1969" to close the dead end.
Picked Las Vegas with zero confidence, but possibly would have sussed out Portland if I wasn't so ergophobic. I've visited both of the Portlands. A bunch of crazy people were in my hotel in (surprisingly) Maine. The first time I ever heard of Rebekahs and Oddfellows, I stayed in a hotel full of them :lol:.
Picked Suriname because I didn't know if French Guiana still had that name and I know the Dutch people still like to slum it in Suriname on holiday. I would have spelled it "tubma".

Do you suppose the drivers see the view? Methinks not.
I was too lazy to answer this one.
I recognized Clermont after reveal and wonder to this day why it was a talking point/test question in junior high. Nina, Pinta, Clermont, Apollo 11, cotton gin - what's the infatuation with these machines? Did the first Guillotine have a name?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:43 pm Did the first Guillotine have a name?
Yep, but I don't think there are records going back far enough for us to know it.
( https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Guillotin )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Been to Suriname and Guyana, but never French Guiana, but had no spelling issues. Never got anywhere near Sesame Street. but had to just nod my head with the reveal. Made perfect sense.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Boomer in the house did not get Sesame Street, whereas the Gen Xer and two teenagers did. We have the DVD box set that comes with a disclaimer for modern families. It cautions that the shows should be viewed as entertainment only because the material may not serve the educational needs of today's children. In addition to the wet cement tutorials, gotta love those segments filmed on location with kids happily exploring sketchy abandoned construction sites, scrambling THROUGH a crumbling door frame, OVER an upended, rusted-out wheelbarrow, etc.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I would nominate one of my wife's answers for BWA -- for "ergophobia" she said "fear of conclusions?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:24 pm I would nominate one of my wife's answers for BWA -- for "ergophobia" she said "fear of conclusions?"
:lol:
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

“1969” was more help
I would prefer not to.