Monday, July 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:10 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:48 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm Writers: Just STOP IT with saying Ohio is in the Midwest! :x
You may have to win that fight with the Census Bureau before you take it up with the J! writers.
Ohio is just Indiana’s (slightly) cooler big brother.

If it’s not the Midwest, I don’t know what it is. It ain’t the Northeast, it ain’t the Southeast, and we don’t have an ‘East Central US’.
As far as I'm concerned, you can move pretty far east from Ohio before you leave the Midwest...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mayim was right to call Porgy and Bess the first great American opera. She would have been equally right to call it the last. Sorry, Philip Glass fans, but that's the truth.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:43 pm Mayim was right to call Porgy and Bess the first great American opera. She would have been equally right to call it the last. Sorry, Philip Glass fans, but that's the truth.
Including only those that have been seen and revived on Broadway certainly narrows the choice. But Sweeney Todd has often been called an opera and is performed by opera companies.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:41 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:27 pm I'm glad they decided to use "sisters before misters" rather than the phrase's male counterpart. :P
The only phrase I could think of was something I learned on Reddit. It would not have fit the category (FAMILIAL PHRASES) and would have edited out before air. A simple bleep would not have been enough if a contestant had responded with "What is chicks before {#`%${%&`+'${`%&NO CARRIER
bros
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at South Pacific being the official opera of South Carolina. Is the saguaro also its state flower? Is the nene its state bird?

Heart of Dixie is the former license plate motto of Alabama. It's been gone for over 20 years now. Alabamans have a choice between "Sweet Home" (for rockers) and "Stars Fell On" (for those who prefer traditional pop.)

And Ohio is in the Midwest. (That TOM was to get contestants away from North Carolina. )
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:51 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:43 pm Mayim was right to call Porgy and Bess the first great American opera. She would have been equally right to call it the last. Sorry, Philip Glass fans, but that's the truth.
Including only those that have been seen and revived on Broadway certainly narrows the choice. But Sweeney Todd has often been called an opera and is performed by opera companies.
Yeah... I'd call that a near miss. I'm not seeing any recordings featuring conductors of the rank of Lorin Maazel or Simon Rattle or Nikolaus Harnoncourt. I'm not seeing any performers of the caliber of Leontyne Price. It's good for what it is, maybe even great. But it's not part of the classical/opera repertoire and I don't see that changing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What about John Adams? Nixon in China and The Death of Klinghoffer are both excellent IMO.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:58 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:27 pm I'm glad they decided to use "sisters before misters" rather than the phrase's male counterpart. :P
The only phrase I could think of was something I learned on Reddit. It would not have fit the category (FAMILIAL PHRASES) and would have edited out before air. A simple bleep would not have been enough if a contestant had responded with "What is chicks before {#`%${%&`+'${`%&NO CARRIER
bros
I thought of "brothers before others" while watching, though I'm not sure I'd ever heard any of these. Nieces before feces. Nephews before refuse.

"Old Northwest" is a bit more exclusive than Midwest, if that's the problem. It doesn't seem so popular these days but I guess they say "Pacific" Northwest to make clear they aren't talking about Ohio.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The writers really should have anticipated the possibility of somebody misreading the clue and answering the phrase beginning with "bros".
Woof

Post by Woof »

Another good set of boards for me. For FJ, I fixated on the word opera, and could only think of one opera set in the South.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:34 pm The writers really should have anticipated the possibility of somebody misreading the clue and answering the phrase beginning with "bros".
If that was the answer, one hopes they would have saved it for one of Ken’s episodes.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Good start to the week with an instaget FJ. Opera was definitely the keyword here.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Never learn things from Reddit. Ever.

As others have now suggested, the phrase to which I was alluding is "bros before hoes," which AFAIK both precedes and is much more prominent in the cultural lexicon than "sisters before misters."
Sprinkles are for winners.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Costello: I can't remember the name of the returning champion in today's game. What was it? NO SPOILERS.
Abbott: Robert Won.
Costello: I said NO SPOILERS. Now what was the name of the returning champion?
Abbott: Robert Won.
Costello: Thanks for spoiling it for me. So did Robert remain champion?
Abbott: No. Robert Won lost.
Costello: You're not making sense. How can Robert win and lose at the same time?
Abbott: Robert Won didn't win.
Costello: So he won but he didn't win.
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: I'm gonna be so glad when Ken Jennings comes back to clean up this mess.
clprez

Post by clprez »

DBear wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm Writers: Just STOP IT with saying Ohio is in the Midwest! :x
You may have to win that fight with the Census Bureau before you take it up with the J! writers.
In the same vein, the University of Michigan's fight song ends with "The champions of the west"
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ohio State is in the Big Ten, and therefore, Ohio is in the Midwest.

(Yes, I realize this means that California will be located in the Midwest within the next couple of years.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 pm
What about John Adams? Nixon in China and The Death of Klinghoffer are both excellent IMO.
Many people would agree. I don't see either one entering the standard repertoire but I could be wrong.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:34 pm The writers really should have anticipated the possibility of somebody misreading the clue and answering the phrase beginning with "bros".
Exactly what I thought. I knew they couldn't be going for that, but I wouldn't think it'd be too weird for a nervous contestant to say it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 pm As far as I'm concerned, you can move pretty far east from Ohio before you leave the Midwest...
Agreed. Pittsburgh is insubstantially culturally distinct from Cleveland. If Northeast Ohio is Midwest, so is Western Pennsylvania.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:51 am
davey wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 pm As far as I'm concerned, you can move pretty far east from Ohio before you leave the Midwest...
Agreed. Pittsburgh is insubstantially culturally distinct from Cleveland. If Northeast Ohio is Midwest, so is Western Pennsylvania.
It would be tempting to equate the Midwest with the northerly half of the Mississippi River watershed. Since the term itself is more cultural than geographic, though, it seems more appropriate to group Ohio with the other Great Lake states and treat them as distinct from the Plains states (IA, KS, NE, SD, ND and the Eastern portions of CO, WY and MT). Whether one chooses to lump both together in a Midwest designation is arguable.