Friday, May 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Re: Friday, May 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by kristinsausville »

Cortana431 wrote:Are the contestants aware of the previous games winners and second place totals? If so, she made a bad wager, but if not, then can't blame her too much. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not aware because it would be unfair to the contestants who play first.
No, they have no idea of anything that happened in the previous QF games.

I also fell for the "money" negbait and even overthought it . . . figured that Madison was the rival. My problem was remembering a poli sci professor mentioning that the born-in-the-US requirement for Presidential eligibility was specifically written to exclude Hamilton. I thought maybe that's what the quote was discussing.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Only 2/5 in At the Mall, much to my surprise. I've never worn Vans, so that one was out of my league; tripped up on Hollister because I keep forgetting that it's actually "Hollister Co."; and clammed on Panda Express since there aren't any in the malls around here.
I keep forgetting how different American malls are of Canadian ones. Hate to sound like TPH, but I hadn't heard of any of those places (I've been in a few American malls (including Mall of America - that's still your biggest one, right?) but not often enough or recently enough). Was vaguely aware that there's a popular take-out Chinese food place in your malls, but damned if I knew the name. (Don't care much for Chinese food anyways (again, TPH impression was unintentional, I should hope by now that the difference between us is I at least like to learn about things that I don't experience, I'm sure that if that same category came up in a few months, I'd get at least 2 or 3 of them.))
TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Team Nicknames. NHO whichever one was an OKC team.
It's in my mind because Winnipeg used to briefly have a basketball team (minor league) called the Thunder. (Though it was only around for a few years in the early '90s I remember it because they used the AC/DC song "Thunderstruck", which I happen to enjoy.)

Gotta feel for Gabriela, losing on a tiebreaker (and a super-easy one at that), and missing the wildcard cutoffs - but I suppose that the wagering was inexcusable. (I did think that Evan probably knew that their scores might be enough, as he wagered much smaller than the rest.) Was exciting to see it come down to that.

No comments on Michelle Obama's pace of reading, or the length of her clues? (True, she wasn't Oprah-slow, but she wasn't exactly peppy.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

bomtr wrote:
DBear wrote:Can we look for a show with Ann Romney giving the clues this fall? :evil:
OH, let's hope not; let's hope there is some cachet to actually being first lady as opposed to being a prospective nominee's wife. And let's hope the party that has veered off the rails of sanity and is pretending it's 1928 and only the rich are entitled to education or medical care doesn't gain the advantage to put Ann Romney in that position. tipping point...
Is this really necessary? Is it to much to ask for some places to be a politics-free zone?

MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Cortana431 wrote:Are the contestants aware of the previous games winners and second place totals? If so, she made a bad wager, but if not, then can't blame her too much. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not aware because it would be unfair to the contestants who play first.

FJ was instaget as was the tie breaker. I'm very surprised none of them got Benedict Arnold. got all the FJ's this tournament so far although thats not as impressive as the adult games :)

They are secluded either safely offstage or not even in the studio until they arrive en masse following first-round heat #4

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I keep forgetting how different American malls are of Canadian ones.
Yeah, no kidding. You guys don't even have J.C. Penney, and I've seen malls (including my nearest one) where that's nearly the only thing LEFT!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woppy T wrote:
bomtr wrote:
DBear wrote:Can we look for a show with Ann Romney giving the clues this fall? :evil:
OH, let's hope not; let's hope there is some cachet to actually being first lady as opposed to being a prospective nominee's wife. And let's hope the party that has veered off the rails of sanity and is pretending it's 1928 and only the rich are entitled to education or medical care doesn't gain the advantage to put Ann Romney in that position. tipping point...
Is this really necessary? Is it to much to ask for some places to be a politics-free zone?
That's what (Rere)Taken Down was originally meant for, for the politics talk to go to. It's been underused lately (in comparison to its use on the Sony boards) - lately the only thing keeping it alive is Rex's blog update announcements.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I keep forgetting how different American malls are of Canadian ones.
Yeah, no kidding. You guys don't even have J.C. Penney, and I've seen malls (including my nearest one) where that's nearly the only thing LEFT!
Here Sears or The Bay would fill that niche (if you can call it one).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sticking the UP in Ohio cost me a perfecto in the first round.

His bet in FJ wasn't bad. Yes. he loses by a dollar, but he didn't know that and is still in range if he is wrong.

Not really sure what to say about hers. She overshot the MSB, but the basic MSB was unnecessary. I'd have made the MSB over the third place player. She still has over $19,000 if wrong and no worse than second if right.

Can we get the tie-breaker on the weekly poll? I'm guessing it out polls all the FJs this week.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

kristinsausville wrote:I also fell for the "money" negbait and even overthought it . . . figured that Madison was the rival. My problem was remembering a poli sci professor mentioning that the born-in-the-US requirement for Presidential eligibility was specifically written to exclude Hamilton. I thought maybe that's what the quote was discussing.
Ditto. That's a case of "too much knowledge". I knew that Madison and Jefferson were fierce opponents of Hamilton and the vision he had for the Treasury Dept/National Bank. Should've known that 1777 was way too early for that.

I'm with everyone else on Gabriela's wager. If you have $20k+, why would you bet even $1?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Arnold, but got worried when Hamilton appeared. The inflection in Alex's voice made me think it was going to be correct.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:Here Sears or The Bay would fill that niche (if you can call it one).
Plenty of Sears stores in malls in the U.S., of course, and Macy's is basically the equivalent of The Bay.

Incidentally, one of the big department store chains in Ireland is Penneys, which is apparently completely unrelated to J.C. Penney.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Can we get the tie-breaker on the weekly poll? I'm guessing it out polls all the FJs this week.
Sure, that's a great idea. It won't hit 100% though. In being excited to watch the result of the rare tiebreaker I blanked on figuring out BB in time. I needed Julie Chen to give the tiebreaker instead of Alex, I guess.

Tough result for Gabriela, but it's her fault. Evan was quite fortunate with how it worked out.

At The Mall was 1 for me. I guessed Sketchers for the Vans, got Panda Express and then only had Hallmark to guess for the Papyrus (NHOI) DD.

How could the writers not have been prepared for Nevada on the Phoenix clue? I get why they were looking for Utah, but come on.

Alexander Hamilton for a guess on the FJ clue was one I did not see coming. And for it to three-peat (you're paid Riley) was one that amazed me. When I got here and read about more Hamiltons it had me realizing that Arnold was not quite the gimme I took it to be when the clue was revealed.

To be contrary to some here that are not displeased when Bible categories are played last or not handled well I enjoyed seeing the teens get to Biblical People early in the round and have some of the clues with plenty of noticeable buzzer action. The interviews kind of tipped off that performance.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:At The Mall was 1 for me. I guessed Sketchers for the Vans, got Panda Express and then only had Hallmark to guess for the Papyrus (NHOI) DD.
Ditto here, although mine was, oddly, Charlotte Russe.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I think the players just brought an adult mindset to a kiddie question. Being an adult myself, I had Hamilton for about ten seconds, but then I shifted into the longtime-Jeopardy-watcher mindset, and another look at the category ("Revolutionary War"; yes, Hamilton was an aide to George Washington but we only know that because of his later eminence) made me focus more on the war than on money.
I'm smart and I want respect.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

How was the AZ question phrased in regards to how Phoenix was involved? Because no way you come near NV heading north out of Phoenix.
If NV is allowed, so too should CA been, had someone rebounded with that.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Paucle wrote:How was the AZ question phrased in regards to how Phoenix was involved? Because no way you come near NV heading north out of Phoenix.
I don't remember the exact wording; didn't the clue mention something like north from Arizona? There is a section of AZ in which NV is due north. (Hmm, suppose there are a couple jags of the Colorado where CA is north). You can take U.S. 93 northwest from Phoenix straight into Nevada. Still, they should have anticipated a Nevada response, as someone has already pointed out.
Last edited by bomtr on Sat May 05, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:How was the AZ question phrased in regards to how Phoenix was involved? Because no way you come near NV heading north out of Phoenix.
bomtr wrote:I don't remember the exact wording; didn't the clue mention something like north from Arizona? There is a section of AZ in which NV is due north. (Hmm, suppose there are a couple jags of the Colorado where CA is north). You can take U.S. 93 northeast from Phoenix straight into Nevada. Still, they should have anticipated a Nevada response, as someone has already pointed out.
The exact wording of the clue was as follows: "By the time you get to Phoenix & then go over Arizona's northern border to this state, you've driven a long way."

You cannot drive over Arizona's northern border to Nevada. Period. Of course, driving was implied by the wording, but not explicitly stated. You can swim or boat across Arizona's northern border to Nevada, but that would not fit in with the clue.

They should neither have anticipated, nor accepted, a response of Nevada.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

bpmod wrote:
bomtr wrote:I don't remember the exact wording; didn't the clue mention something like north from Arizona? There is a section of AZ in which NV is due north. (Hmm, suppose there are a couple jags of the Colorado where CA is north). You can take U.S. 93 northeast from Phoenix straight into Nevada. Still, they should have anticipated a Nevada response, as someone has already pointed out.
The exact wording of the clue was as follows: "By the time you get to Phoenix & then go over Arizona's northern border to this state, you've driven a long way."

You cannot drive over Arizona's northern border to Nevada. Period. Of course, driving was implied by the wording, but not explicitly stated. You can swim or boat across Arizona's northern border to Nevada, but that would not fit in with the clue.

They should neither have anticipated, nor accepted, a response of Nevada.

Brian
Since 'go over' does not specify driving and does not exclude boating or swimming, I should think they would have to accept Nevada.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It wasn't just that obamma read the questions so slowly; the answers were incredibly easy. The category would have been better for the kids tourney. I wish the show would just stop having these guest categories: they're boring, time-wasting & they usually push some crap which most sane people have no interest in buying/seeing.

Sad for Gabriela who was pretty & pretty cool. Has $20K ever NOT qualified for a wild card????

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bomtr wrote:
bpmod wrote:By the time you get to Phoenix & then go over Arizona's northern border to this state, you've driven a long way."
Since 'go over' does not specify driving and does not exclude boating or swimming, I should think they would have to accept Nevada.
But it's AZ's western border. You just happen to be heading in a northerly direction. That's not even close to what the clue implies.
(And besides, I'm not sure how "you've driven a long way" doesn't specify driving.