Thursday, July 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, July 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm I got temporarily derailed by Cygnus (plain old Deneb is its principal star), but landed on Capricorn because of 'kid'.
Yeah, I took that detour as well, but we both ended up in the same place.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I figured this FJ would really be a zodiac clue, and I was right...So much easier to approach it that way!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm Emmie got herself above Matt's expected fall-to point of 15199 and made more money than she would have with just a $600 wager when there was no doubt she had to like the category.
Nevertheless, it was a poor wager. Sure, the category is in Emmie's wheelhouse, but hey, I miss movie clues from time to time; there are no guarantees.

In her situation, I can justify wagering one of two ways: 1) $600 to stay ahead of Matt's expected fall-to point OR 2) $7601 to cover a zero bet by Matt. Which way do I lean? I'm betting $600. Although I'm feeling good about the category, Matt also knows it's in my wheelhouse (thanks to the interview), so I can be pretty certain he's going to wager enough to cover an all-in bet from second place.

It's one thing to be embarrassed to have missed a constellations clue in FJ. It's quite another to then lose the game because you wagered too much.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, great boards for me tonight (especially if we factor Hitmakers out of it). For FJ: kid -> goat -> Capricorn. It helped that my mother was born in late December and always said that she got her goat-like qualities that way, so it stuck.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Matt for the Second Chance Tournament
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm I got temporarily derailed by Cygnus (plain old Deneb is its principal star), but landed on Capricorn because of 'kid'.
There's also Denebola (tail of the lion), the second brightest star in Leo (brightest is Regulus).

Astronomical Capricorn is properly a "sea-goat", with the body of a goat and the tail of a fish.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Emmie seemingly wasn’t a fan of the Jeopardy round categories, given her buzzer attempts. In DJ, she kept up and hit on a nice chunk of higher value clues. Different ways to win on Jeopardy, and she delivered when it mattered most.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:18 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:47 pm When I think kid, I think child, not goat.
Any human/god children from Greek mythology with tails?
Hence why at first I was stumped.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

ACW wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 am
A cheer went up at the unveiling of Rob's FJ answer here.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm Emmie got herself above Matt's expected fall-to point of 15199 and made more money than she would have with just a $600 wager when there was no doubt she had to like the category.
Nevertheless, it was a poor wager. Sure, the category is in Emmie's wheelhouse, but hey, I miss movie clues from time to time; there are no guarantees.

In her situation, I can justify wagering one of two ways: 1) $600 to stay ahead of Matt's expected fall-to point OR 2) $7601 to cover a zero bet by Matt. Which way do I lean? I'm betting $600. Although I'm feeling good about the category, Matt also knows it's in my wheelhouse (thanks to the interview), so I can be pretty certain he's going to wager enough to cover an all-in bet from second place.

It's one thing to be embarrassed to have missed a constellations clue in FJ. It's quite another to then lose the game because you wagered too much.
Perhaps it was a math error, but her bet gave Stan a chance to pass her.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:30 am
ACW wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 am
A cheer went up at the unveiling of Rob's FJ answer here.
Oh, that is nasty!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

The FJ! response that was accepted is not, strictly speaking, correct. The name of constellation is Capricornus. The accepted response, Capricorn, is the name of a sign of the zodiac, which is not quite the same thing.

Still, What is Capricorn? is what I said from my couch :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

(mod help to delete previous mis-post :) - I had to back up to submit and hell, I don't know wha' happened)
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm Ken knew which option to go to on the chat card.
Hello, Mr. Jennings? This is Standards and Practices calling...

I enjoyed the karma/kismet aspect of the category reveal as much as anyone, but I think the wagering authorities here can expose that this was (probably) unfair to Emmie. She should be the only one to know that it was a wheelhouse. I can't conjure any rational scenarios where it matters, but since when do contestants always bet rationally?
Matt decided to make the cover bet in case he got it right. Maybe it hurt Matt by removing his play for 21201 on a miss? He could have walked off with the win. This is one of those Iocane poison scenarios. Matt knows she knows Constellations, and she knows that Matt knows that she knows Constellations, and etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum :).

This was a good game with some good players and clues. TIL the old school washing machine rollers was called a mangle.

I was really really close on FJ. I only needed to connect :
Mares eat oats and so do goats and a little kiddley eat ivy too---> the kid TOM is for a baby goat --> there is a constellation with a goat ---> Latin (at least Spanish) for goat is Cabra ---> Capricorn.
(hearing Don Adams in my head)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:53 pm I would've liked to get FJ! from the star name alone, but needed the "kid's tail" hint. :mrgreen:
Am I missing something, or does Emmie's bet not make sense? :?
Though this is a strong category, I would bet 600 to win on a TS & Matt's expected cover.
I'd like to get all of them just because of KNOWING them cold, but alas that is not to be sometimes. Like last night. So I had to resort to "kid's tail" also, and arrived very nicely at Capricorn.

This is way better than a bunch of this season's FJs, where there is no TOM from which to get help and which couldn't be sussed out. So when you don't have that particular piece of (usually obscure) knowledge, you're pretty much sunk.

And yeah, I also was curious about Emmie's wager. Rule #1 is to make the wager that gives you the best chance of winning WITHOUT at the same time increasing you chance of losing. For her that was $600, which beats Matt on a double stumper, assuming Matt also wagers sensibly (which he did). Her wager put her in position to lose on a double-stumper, and wasn't enough to win in the event Matt wagers $0. So I don't know where she came up with that bet.

Rule #2 (the flip side of #1) is don't bet way too much just because you like the category, if doing so makes it more likely you will lose (which her wager did).

Fortunately for her it worked out this time and earned her n extra $4,800 bucks. But even people who have survived a sub-optimal wager like that once or twice have lost many a game when that faulty strategy caught up with them.

It will be interesting to see how she strategizes FJ when (we assume) she does NOT get another tailor-made FJ category.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Great comeback by Emmie. A couple minutes into the first round I told my wife Emmie had no chance and I was happy to be proven wrong!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:36 am And yeah, I also was curious about Emmie's wager. Rule #1 is to make the wager that gives you the best chance of winning WITHOUT at the same time increasing you chance of losing. For her that was $600, which beats Matt on a double stumper, assuming Matt also wagers sensibly (which he did). Her wager put her in position to lose on a double-stumper, and wasn't enough to win in the event Matt wagers $0. So I don't know where she came up with that bet.

Rule #2 (the flip side of #1) is don't bet way too much just because you like the category, if doing so makes it more likely you will lose (which her wager did).

Fortunately for her it worked out this time and earned her n extra $4,800 bucks. But even people who have survived a sub-optimal wager like that once or twice have lost many a game when that faulty strategy caught up with them.

It will be interesting to see how she strategizes FJ when (we assume) she does NOT get another tailor-made FJ category.
The only wagering rule in FJ should be to make the wager that shows the highest winning chances. Period. But of course that's one more rule than most contestants have in their arsenal.

Do you think she actually had a FJ strategy this game? if she did, she probably tried to lock out 3rd and screwed up the math. Do you think she will have one for the next game? I'm dubious. But hey, that one more reason to watch.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:00 pm Great comeback by Emmie. A couple minutes into the first round I told my wife Emmie had no chance and I was happy to be proven wrong!
I thought Matt was the bomb and would be around for a while but... Emmie is such a sweet "kid", she is going to be a pleasure to watch for as long as she lasts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Does anyone else take objection to "sisterhood" being a response in COMPOUND WORDS? "Hood" is a suffix rather than a second word in that context. I think the only way it would work as a compound word is if it were, say, an alternative term for a part of some nuns' habits.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:06 am Does anyone else take objection to "sisterhood" being a response in COMPOUND WORDS? "Hood" is a suffix rather than a second word in that context. I think the only way it would work as a compound word is if it were, say, an alternative term for a part of some nuns' habits.
Well... as long as they don't make a habit of it! :D

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. It's like putting "kindness" in COMPOUND WORDS. No big deal since it didn't cause any confusion or keep someone from getting it right (I assume). But yeah, it didn't fit the category.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:06 am Does anyone else take objection to "sisterhood" being a response in COMPOUND WORDS? "Hood" is a suffix rather than a second word in that context. I think the only way it would work as a compound word is if it were, say, an alternative term for a part of some nuns' habits.
I've made the same argument about padlock.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.