New ToC format speculation thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: New ToC format speculation thread

Post by econgator »

That's garbage. Shouldn't be byes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:27 pm That's garbage. Shouldn't be byes.
Byes would be in sync with other tournies, most do have them.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think I preferred Andy Saunders's suggested 3-week format. I don't mind the byes as long as they were into quarterfinals. But dragging out the finals, do we really need that? Seems like torture for the contestants and the audience.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 pm
Most of which tournies?
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by AntmanB »

Im good with the new format.................but just this time cause this season Deserved it. i hope it goes back to 15 for S40s TOC.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 pm
Most of which tournies?
NFL, MLB, MLS, WNBA...
also, there's more to that post than just a comment....
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The byes seem like a double-edged sword. You have players who had long exciting streaks and maybe raised viewership or got a lot of attention for the show with magazine articles or TV interviews, etc. These exciting players are coming back to the show after 4 or 8 or 12+ months, this will be exciting when the viewers get to see these players...sit out a round? I get it from a competition standpoint as a reward for an impressive streak, but this is a TV show first and foremost and I'd suspect the audience would like to see these greats play the game.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:50 am Here's the problem I have giving byes to the top winners. Not every season is going to have a 40 and 38 game winner. Sure, you can look at the S38 standings and see how dominant the top three are in games won.

But if the top champ in S39 wins eight games, do the top three or six really deserve special treatment? Do they change the format every year depending on how many qualify? This season we have 14 automatics who won a tournament or five games. But suppose we have a season with only seven five game champs. How far down should they dip to get a field of 21?
First thing they should do is say that four wins is a guarantee as long as you stay out of trouble. Just make it a set rule instead of leaving it all up in the air.

From there, you adjust the format to make it work based on the number of 4-time champs + the winners of other tournaments. If you have to dip into the 3-time pool, that’s fine. If the number comes out higher than 21, you adjust accordingly.

As for the byes, if you need to use them to make a format work, I have no issue if the champions aren’t in the Matt-Amy-Mattea range.If your 7-day, $220,000 run was enough to earn a bye, that’s just how it goes.

I think that the days of a set format are gone and I don’t have a problem with that. It isn’t like the 15-person field was a flawless concept. We just accepted it as the format.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

yclept wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:08 am First thing they should do is say that four wins is a guarantee as long as you stay out of trouble.
I thought they already did that as of January 5, 2021.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 am
yclept wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:08 am First thing they should do is say that four wins is a guarantee as long as you stay out of trouble.
No, they definitely did not. They said four wins makes you eligible but there are no guarantees. That's why I had to keep my invitation secret until yesterday. It was obvious that I would not have made the cut under the usual format, so if people knew I was in, that would have raised speculation about a new format.

Having four wins as a guarantee would have made my life much easier this year lol.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The next game to play is QF matches. Three bowls to draw from could be:

A: Prof, JNCC, 16, 11, 7, 7
B: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, Jackie 4
C: 4, 4, 4, 4, SCT, SCT

No matter how the SCT shakes out and how strong the winners are I would not put them in group A to avoid the streakers.

It may shake out that Courtney, Megan, Jackie, Margaret, Maureen, and Christine each play in separate QF games?

There are a number of "who beat who" in play to also affect the draw in avoiding rematches from regular play.

It would be cool if J! did a World Cup-like draw special (or like J! All-Stars) to have J! greats picking balls from the bowls to announce the QF matches.

If six games taped in a day is too much to ask of players and crew alike then I wonder if the QF round could be split into two taping days? Will the "Big Byes" ("Terrific Three") get to watch the QF round games taped?

As for spoilers in TV listings just send out the contingency of TOC Finals or regular play.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am If six games taped in a day is too much to ask of players and crew alike then I wonder if the QF round could be split into two taping days? Will the "Big Byes" ("Terrific Three") get to watch the QF round games taped?
Since there are no wildcards, nobody should have to be sequestered, correct? And because of this, my semi-educated guess would be they split up the QF games into 2 days. 6 games is a lot for a crew to tape in one day but I don't think it would be fair to the players in game 6.

If I were one of the big three, I'd rather use the 1 or 2 QF days studying or just chilling rather than be cooped up in a studio with nothing to do.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Charis wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 am
No, they definitely did not. They said four wins makes you eligible but there are no guarantees. That's why I had to keep my invitation secret until yesterday.
I apologize in advance for arguing the point... you obviously have a more personal view of this issue than anyone else it might affect... but if being "eligible" for the tournament doesn't mean "you're guaranteed a spot (as long as you keep your nose clean)" then I'm not sure it has any meaning at all. Anyone is "eligible" by your meaning.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Golf wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am If six games taped in a day is too much to ask of players and crew alike then I wonder if the QF round could be split into two taping days? Will the "Big Byes" ("Terrific Three") get to watch the QF round games taped?
. 6 games is a lot for a crew to tape in one day but I don't think it would be fair to the players in game 6.
JNCC taped six episodes a day for three days in a row. And that's with Mayim hosting, who probably needed more reshoots than Alex or Ken would have. Plus the third day had a tiebreaker and a lengthy mulberry/mahogany debate break.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 pm
cf1140 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:43 pm
cf1140 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:52 am 11 days, on wildcards. 6 quarterfinals; Matt, Amy, Mattea get byes to the semifinals. Two-day regular final.
I was the closest. What do I win?
Nice prediction. You're the winner! Congrats.

Although I do remember having to read your original post several times before I figured out what "on wildcards" was.

I for one am actually glad with the *no wildcards* format. To me it made the JNCC more exciting. I will be open-minded about this new format. I was pessimistic about the JNCC, and then it turned out to be really good, though that was mainly up to the writers writing better clues for that tournament than for syndicated jeopardy episodes.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 am
Charis wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 am
No, they definitely did not. They said four wins makes you eligible but there are no guarantees. That's why I had to keep my invitation secret until yesterday.
I apologize in advance for arguing the point... you obviously have a more personal view of this issue than anyone else it might affect... but if being "eligible" for the tournament doesn't mean "you're guaranteed a spot (as long as you keep your nose clean)" then I'm not sure it has any meaning at all. Anyone is "eligible" by your meaning.
Well, what it used to mean was "if you win at least four AND you're one of the top 15 AND you don't commit a felony then you're in". When I quickly fell out of the top 15, I assumed I was out of the running and was surprised to find out otherwise. So 4 wins was always known to be "on the bubble", to use a March Madness term.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

How many three-time winners have ended up going to the TOC under normal circumstances (i.e. excluding Emma Boettcher)?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:14 pm How many three-time winners have ended up going to the TOC under normal circumstances (i.e. excluding Emma Boettcher)?
Umpteen tournament winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:14 pm How many three-time winners have ended up going to the TOC under normal circumstances (i.e. excluding Emma Boettcher)?
This post has the 3x names: viewtopic.php?p=358162#p358162
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Is there a precedent for somebody missing out on the ToC because of a felony? I think I'm missing something.

The "eligible" note on the website seems weird in hindsight. Who isn't eligible? Players that finish in the red?

I'm ok with no wildcards. The wildcard system gives an advantage to players based on random chance because of which FJs they get.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.