New ToC format speculation thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New ToC format speculation thread

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm Is there a precedent for somebody missing out on the ToC because of a felony? I think I'm missing something.
This infamous thread may answer your question...
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:57 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm Is there a precedent for somebody missing out on the ToC because of a felony? I think I'm missing something.
Ah what a thread. “It is important to recognise the years of one's prime, always remember that.”
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm
Ah what a thread. “It is important to recognise the years of one's prime, always remember that.”
Did you ever get sued for libel?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm The "eligible" note on the website seems weird in hindsight. Who isn't eligible? Players that finish in the red?
This is what led to speculation that 4-timers were being given a soft guarantee when they were declared "eligible". Otherwise, why mention them specifically and not mention 3-timers who also get invited when the pickings are slim enough? As you note, everyone would seem to be "eligible" in the sense that TPTB may invite them if they choose.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Emily Fiasco has announced on Twitter that she'll be the TOC alternate.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 pm Emily Fiasco has announced on Twitter that she'll be the TOC alternate.
Noted on her page: https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=14745
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Added info about Emily Fiasco being the alternate for 2022 in the "TOC Result" column. I'd be surprised if she's the only alternate honestly.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:36 pm
No! Quite the bummer, since it meant several posters here were wrong.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Unanswered questions (so far):

What are they playing for? Prize money not announced yet as far as I know.

Will Amy, Matt or Mattea earn more because of their bye if they lose in the semifinals than a quarterfinalist who also loses their one game? It does not seem fair to give Amy, Matt and Mattea a higher minimum payout.

Will they allow a real studio audience (including contestant guests)? Or will they limit the audience to a small set of trusted people because they don't want the results to be leaked ahead of time?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:36 pm
No! Quite the bummer, since it meant several posters here were wrong.
Posters here wrong? Ce n'est pas possible!
chucklesmcgee

Post by chucklesmcgee »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm What are they playing for? Prize money not announced yet as far as I know.
I'm going to bet it's $1 million, at least. Jeopardy's now having the SCT for 2 weeks, then 9 games of first rounds of the ToC, then finals spanning 3 to 7 games? That's over a month of programming. That can't be $250k territory and generate the ratings Davies is after. Putting up $1 million or more will generate all kinds of excitement, and help keep the SCT interesting, as fighting for the opportunity to compete for a mil still sounds pretty good.
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm Will Amy, Matt or Mattea earn more because of their bye if they lose in the semifinals than a quarterfinalist who also loses their one game? It does not seem fair to give Amy, Matt and Mattea a higher minimum payout.
They earned it as top-seeded players. They've played well, they get perks other people didn't get, sounds fair to me. It's unfair if you view every payout in the tournament as a measure of one's performance in the tournament, but the nature of most seeding arrangements are already contrary to this notion of fairness.