Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by goongas »

Also the ToC format will be revealed next week.
yclept

Post by yclept »

goongas wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 pm I don’t think the college tournament ratings were anything to write home about, certainly compared to GOAT. They will have celebrity J!, that will be the primetime J! for awhile. I do agree with the overextending comments. He also wants to do live shows. Half or more of the audience thinks the show is live as it is…Everyone doesn’t live in the entertainment bubble that he does.
Not sure what the ratings were, but if ABC wants to buy more of the game, they are going to sell it to them.

Given that I am sure these quick tournaments are relatively cheap to produce, I would think that ABC makes good money off of it.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 pm 5-minute time limit to make wager with 30-second warning given
Well, that's new. And pretty huge if it's a new FJ rule for contestants.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Charis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:44 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 pm 5-minute time limit to make wager with 30-second warning given
"Big if true" in an unironic way. I think we should be entitled to further explanation as to how this rule works. Fans (and contestants) ought to be apprised in advance before we see something like, "Now we come to you, Jerry, you gave us the correct response, but failed to enter a wager, so we entered one for you. Congratulations, you're the new Jeopardy! champion!"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder how often that occurs that it's even a concern for them.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Nate Scheffey (non runaway JHL) said that he took a really long time on his, but not clear if it was that long.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I don’t think the college tournament ratings were anything to write home about, certainly compared to GOAT. They will have celebrity J!, that will be the primetime J! for awhile. I do agree with the overextending comments. He also wants to do live shows. Half or more of the audience thinks the show is live as it is…Everyone doesn’t live in the entertainment bubble that he does.
I wonder if they're going to move the College Championship from primetime back to the syndicated series next season, albeit with the new format rather than going back to it being 15 players. It would be some thing if that happened. And who knows if the High School Tournament is going to be in primetime or part of the daily syndicated series.

And if the National College Championship does in fact get moved to the syndicated series with the new format retained, it would be a three and a half week event; either the quarterfinals begin on a Wednesday or the tournament concludes on that day with the resumption of regular games to finish off the week.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

alietr wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:05 pm
I wonder how often that occurs that it's even a concern for them.
I took a LONG time with my last FJ wager, trying to formulate correctly. Then it turned out if I had done the suicide wager I would have won, because my opponent did not bet according to any formula.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I'm just listening to the second chance part 2 podcast, and the beginning I find something very interesting — the theme has been remixed again, this time to include a guitar lick, albeit very different from the one used in the 2008 theme.
Spoiler
I think the remixed version will be used for Season 39
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:01 pm I'm just listening to the second chance part 2 podcast, and the beginning I find something very interesting — the theme has been remixed again, this time to include a guitar lick, albeit very different from the one used in the 2008 theme.

I think the remixed version will be used for Season 39
It was an alternate version, maybe from the 2008 Chris Bell package, and there haven't been any reports that it will be used on the show.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:36 pm It was an alternate version, maybe from the 2008 Chris Bell package, and there haven't been any reports that it will be used on the show.
I don't think it was from the 2008 package. It sounds like it was Bleeding Fingers who did the guitar lick, and I've heard all four versions of the Chris Bell arrangement (three of which were used on the show). The only version of the 2008 theme that wasn't used on the show is the same as the final version, except it has the descending string passages from the rough draft versions in the first section of guitar and saxophone solos while the guitar keeps playing and doesn't fade out.

Also, consider the possibility that they could dub in the guitar version post-production. That was the case with early Season 14 episodes. They played the original Think! cue in the studio; but they dubbed in the short-lived piano version as well as the first few episodes that used the trumpet version.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The ToC stuff is in the other thread.

From the 8/15 podcast:

The full theme is played at the end.
Buzzy has most ToC appearances other than Alex. 2022 will be Ken's first.
JNCC will have adjusted format and ToC format may be different in 2023.
Person who picks first in DJ! round when two players tied for last is one who gave the last correct response.
Possibly a second screen experience for live stats and not cluttering up screen with scores to keep it clue only
Next week's guest is writer Billy Wisse.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 pm 8/8 podcast - recorded today during break on J! taping day

5-minute time limit to make wager with 30-second warning given

Honors on 9/19 the night before the ToC tapes

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler
Merv & Julann Griffin
Alex Trebek
Harry Friedman
Johnny Gilbert - will attend ceremony
8/15 podcast - guest Buzzy and ToC field revealed
For the J!HOF, Davies hinted Art Fleming might be in next year's class. As he had a huge role in its initial popularity, I think he (and Don Pardo) should be in this year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 4xers now have their games tagged. If I forget after the SCT remind me to mark the two (one if Isiah wins) winners for their game 1 and game 2.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I know there's a separate thread on the upcoming ToC, but it was mentioned on the podcast that it will include 21 players. Format: 6 QF matches, no wild card spots, 3 SFs, Matt and Amy and Mattea get automatic byes to the SFs, finals changed from 2-point affair to first-to-win-three-matches.

But I'm going to briefly discuss the music package. Especially since this tournament is involving a 38-time champ and a 40-time champ, I wonder if they're going to use the Think! music from GOAT (but pitched up 1 semitone) for the ToC (especially if at least Matt and Amy make it to the finals) and then make it permanent from there on out (assuming the theme introduced last season is used for 10+ years). The current Think! music used since October 2008 does not match the Bleeding Fingers arrangement of the theme, IMO.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Now back to topic, I wonder what next week's podcast is going to cover.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:08 am Now back to topic, I wonder what next week's podcast is going to cover.
It was mentioned at the end of this week's episode that next week's episode will be an interview with writers and editorial producers Michele Loud and Billy Wisse.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

8/22 is 43m with Sarah, Buzzy, Michele Loud and Billy Wisse

Election Day 11/8 will be special programming and not ToC.
10/31 - 11/7 the six QF games
11/9, 10, 11 are semis
Finals will be marked in TV listings as "if necessary" and they assure they won't be spoiling the result
Regular play could resume on any day
They are happy that S39 is off to great start
A Jennifer Morrow tweet was mentioned
Billy & Michele were researchers then writers and went through change from books to Internet
Colors for sorting categories pink/pop culture, yellow/word play, blue/academic, green/lifestyle
Former writer Kathy Easterling loved opera clues
Michele likes doing NYT crossword though not Wordle
Billy likes anagrams
There is a meeting before taping with the host
Clues are now electronic and not on sheet like Alex used
Michele does live score keeping and the FJ! card with wagers, totals etc. handed to host
They can see what is written real time including letter strokes and Tubman did not have N
Michele dream categories RuPaul, art history, crossword clues, books & authors
Billy dream categories Lit, Sports of last century, history, geography
J! does not chase viral moments but saw the opportunity for the call back to "Regular Virginia"
Michele's favorite clue was FJ! about Rocky Road ice cream name origin
Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
SCT clues will be regular play level
2010 Alex wanted to do a clue about Jane Darwell, but was vetoed for her not being known well enough (My opinion - Boo!)
Alex drew fashion logos for category, but show could not clear Gucci, Chanel, etc.
Writers: History, geography and lit in every show
Billy's contestant advice: Do study, presidents in what year and capitals
Michele's advice: watch a video about wagering
Good DDs have a clue within a clue
Next week: Ken & Mayim
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Election Day 11/8 will be special programming and not ToC.
So, they are actually not broadcasting on Election Day. No one gets pre-empted.

Would that be the first time Jeopardy! doesn't put an air slot on a weekday? I believe so.
Douglas Squasoni
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Election Day 11/8 will be special programming and not ToC.
So, they are actually not broadcasting on Election Day. No one gets pre-empted.

Would that be the first time Jeopardy! doesn't put an air slot on a weekday? I believe so.
2004, they slid Tuesday-Friday to Wednesday-Saturday because of Election Day in the middle of Ken Jennings' run.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan