Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Bamaman »

I listened to it today and thought we could discuss it if anyone is interested.

It was hosted by EP Michael Davies along with Sarah Foss of the Clue Crew and Michael Harris, who is part of the production team.

They announced the first nine in the SCT and why they were picked. Will go over the others next week.

Ken will be promoted to "the host" next season during the introductions. They said he was "hosting" this season since he was technically filling in for he who will not be named.

New TOC format to be announced on August 15. TOC will now be held every season.

Also discussed buzzer stats and what they mean.

Kind of interesting but no real new information for people like us.

Also hinted at other versions like sports and pop culture Jeopardy. Said the Teen Tournament will be rebranded as High School Tournament and suggested a possibility of a librarians tournament.
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by AntmanB »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:15 pm Said the Teen Tournament will be rebranded as High School Tournament

Wierd choice but ok
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

New TOC format to be announced on August 15. TOC will now be held every season.

Also discussed buzzer stats and what they mean.

Kind of interesting but no real new information for people like us.

Also hinted at other versions like sports and pop culture Jeopardy. Said the Teen Tournament will be rebranded as High School Tournament and suggested a possibility of a librarians tournament.
1) Good to hear the Teen Tournament is coming back after being put on hiatus for almost four years. For all this time, I thought they discontinued it.

2) If TPTB brings Emma Boettcher back to the show, then perhaps invite her to participate in the Librarians Tournament.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

I had heard reference to a Master's Tournament or Division or League before. I hoped it meant reviving the Seniors Tournament. But no, according to this podcast it's going to be about the best of the best of the best, I guess. Davies seemed most enthusiastic about developing this, with Honors awards and such involved, so I'm guessing there will be more about it soon.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about it. Maybe it's just me. But don't we get enough of the top of the pyramid already? UToC. GOAT. Battle of the Decades. AllStar teams. etc. Your opinions welcome.
Pending...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:06 pm I can't say I'm enthusiastic about it. Maybe it's just me. But don't we get enough of the top of the pyramid already? UToC. GOAT. Battle of the Decades. AllStar teams. etc. Your opinions welcome.
Once ever decade or so is fine, but more than that just cheapens it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah, I hate to disagree with Sarah, but it's not time for another GOAT tournament until somebody breaks Ken's, Brad's, or James's records.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:06 pm I had heard reference to a Master's Tournament or Division or League before. I hoped it meant reviving the Seniors Tournament. But no, according to this podcast it's going to be about the best of the best of the best, I guess. Davies seemed most enthusiastic about developing this, with Honors awards and such involved, so I'm guessing there will be more about it soon.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about it. Maybe it's just me. But don't we get enough of the top of the pyramid already? UToC. GOAT. Battle of the Decades. AllStar teams. etc. Your opinions welcome.
There are really good trivia people that have never been on Jeopardy! Is it going to include those people?

If you did include those people, you need some kind of filtering system to give everybody a chance. Like amateur/local/minor league/open tournaments. That would be fun and totally awesome but it doesn’t seem realistic for a tv show.

If they really do include the best possible trivia players won’t it just be way too difficult for a normal person to follow along and it will lose appeal immediately?

If it’s just strong Jeopardy! champions and having them compete at a little higher level that could be fun but it feels disingenuous to market it as the best trivia minds when there could be better trivia minds that were never invited.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:28 pm
MollyQMurphy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:06 pm I had heard reference to a Master's Tournament or Division or League before. I hoped it meant reviving the Seniors Tournament. But no, according to this podcast it's going to be about the best of the best of the best, I guess. Davies seemed most enthusiastic about developing this, with Honors awards and such involved, so I'm guessing there will be more about it soon.

There are really good trivia people that have never been on Jeopardy! Is it going to include those people?

If you did include those people, you need some kind of filtering system to give everybody a chance. Like amateur/local/minor league/open tournaments. That would be fun and totally awesome but it doesn’t seem realistic for a tv show.

If they really do include the best possible trivia players won’t it just be way too difficult for a normal person to follow along and it will lose appeal immediately?

If it’s just strong Jeopardy! champions and having them compete at a little higher level that could be fun but it feels disingenuous to market it as the best trivia minds when there could be better trivia minds that were never invited.
I know at least 4 people I play with regularly who
just canNOT get cast, and who would at LEAST go toe-to-toe with everyone appearing in the last 5 years. So, yeah, your point is very well taken.

But perhaps they will open the door to those elites if they go forward with a League? All of them have tried at least once to get cast.
Pending...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Davies killed the initial WWTBAM - that brief golden time in game show history - with oversaturation. Marvel is doing the same right now with their product. It’s very corporate America these days. Take something of value and squeeze every little last dollar out of it. People will start to hate the product, but you’ve made your money, so you can get out
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:07 am Davies killed the initial WWTBAM - that brief golden time in game show history - with oversaturation. Marvel is doing the same right now with their product. It’s very corporate America these days. Take something of value and squeeze every little last dollar out of it. People will start to hate the product, but you’ve made your money, so you can get out
You weren't a fan of supermodels week on WWTBAM?

I was thinking the same thing while listening. Rolling out all these new tournaments and spin-offs could overextend the brand. I just hope the new TOC format isn't too convoluted.

It's almost like TPTB said "Alex is dead, so let's fix something that isn't broken".
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm not opposed to the idea of a pop culture Jeopardy or Sports Jeopardy or Basket Weaving Jeopardy or whatever, but I'm not much of a fan of the endless speculation, teases, and hints essentially coming straight from the show itself. If you're going to start another Jeopardy!, then let us know when it's ready to launch and when people should try out and when people should watch. Saying "I want to launch 6 more Jeopardies" doesn't actually do anything. Let us know when you actually have one ready to go and someone willing to air it and maybe we'll watch.

I suppose the point is to "generate buzz" or whatever catchphrase of the moment someone might use but in my opinion that just gets people excited about a bunch of things and in all likelihood many of them are never going to come to pass.

Remember when they hired that other guy to host syndicated Jeopardy! and Mayim was specifically going to host special events in primetime on ABC? Well in the entire year since then this consisted entirely of one tournament. I'm curious if they were planning to have more and maybe ABC didn't end up as enthused as first thought, or maybe since Mayim ended up hosting much of the syndicated season they didn't want to try to do too much with her.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I don’t think the college tournament ratings were anything to write home about, certainly compared to GOAT. They will have celebrity J!, that will be the primetime J! for awhile. I do agree with the overextending comments. He also wants to do live shows. Half or more of the audience thinks the show is live as it is…Everyone doesn’t live in the entertainment bubble that he does.
goongas

Post by goongas »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:28 pm

His experience with replacing the phone game with casting for Millionaire would make non-casted contestants appearing on his show next to impossible.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

goongas wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 pmHe also wants to do live shows.
I've watched enough tapings to know that the likelihood of them trying to do it live is pretty low. Host and board screw-ups (both common) aside, how would the judges look something up if there's a question about a response?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:11 am
I've watched enough tapings to know that the likelihood of them trying to do it live is pretty low. Host and board screw-ups (both common) aside, how would the judges look something up if there's a question about a response?
He said during a judges break they could have commentators debating the ruling, like football announcers talk during a replay challenge.

Might be fun for a one time thing, but it would be hard to do it in exactly 30 or 60 minutes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:11 am
alietr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:11 am
He said during a judges break they could have commentators debating the ruling, like football announcers talk during a replay challenge.

Might be fun for a one time thing, but it would be hard to do it in exactly 30 or 60 minutes.
Except 90% of those aren't judgment calls; usually it's because they didn't pin the clue well enough and there was an alternative answer that fit the clue that they didn't think of beforehand. Yeah, that would be dumb.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironically the worst case scenario would be if everything went off without a hitch and they had 30 minutes they had to fill with BS.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:54 pm Ironically the worst case scenario would be if everything went off without a hitch and they had 30 minutes they had to fill with BS.
This would be a nightmare scenario for the contestants. "Oh, we whipped through those clues pretty fast, well, we've got a couple minutes to fill, let's go back for some more chat before FJ."

(Jump to 17:00-ish.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen the British version of the show before. It's a lot different with no breaks for commercials.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

"The only score you'll ever see will be your own"

There's an innovation no one was looking for! Though it would save us a lot of ink complaining about FJ wagers.