Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Bamaman »

Six Daily Doubles was interesting.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:46 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:07 am Davies killed the initial WWTBAM - that brief golden time in game show history - with oversaturation. Marvel is doing the same right now with their product. It’s very corporate America these days. Take something of value and squeeze every little last dollar out of it. People will start to hate the product, but you’ve made your money, so you can get out
You weren't a fan of supermodels week on WWTBAM?

I was thinking the same thing while listening. Rolling out all these new tournaments and spin-offs could overextend the brand. I just hope the new TOC format isn't too convoluted.

It's almost like TPTB said "Alex is dead, so let's fix something that isn't broken".
The other concerning thing I am seeing is that they feel that their contestants election process is superior to any actual product.

This expanded tournament of champions really is just their way of selecting once again people they liked on zoom even if they didn’t quite pan out on the show.

The brilliant thing about the original WWTBAM was that phone game. It meant anyone could be be on TV, and that’s what happened.

And then they became worried about possible diversity issues and decided to get rid of the game altogether, instead of perhaps using it as a side process.

Another thing that show did is that it started a cycle between easy round and difficult rounds, as they want to build up to champions every once in a while. I think it was frankly pretty intentional on their part.

Based on year one of Michael Davies with this show, I am seeing a situation where they are trying to set things up for multiple mega champions to build up drama. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they have been this many extended winners.

Folks will get tired of it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:19 pm
The brilliant thing about the original WWTBAM was that phone game. It meant anyone could be be on TV, and that’s what happened.
I thought the phone system had been compromised in some fashion in that people had figured out how to beat it?
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:45 am I thought the phone system had been compromised in some fashion in that people had figured out how to beat it?
True. Those of us without pretty faces and good personalities were able to sneak onto the show! :lol:

I for one have never heard that about the phone game. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t have happened though.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:45 am
Austin Powers wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:19 pm
I thought the phone system had been compromised in some fashion in that people had figured out how to beat it?
No, because I totally would’ve done it if it was possible
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Andrew He gets his last FJ right, does Amy make the SCT?
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 am If Andrew He gets his last FJ right, does Amy make the SCT?
I have a hard time imagining her not being picked. Her Coryat falls in line with a lot of the SCT players' Coryats, 23 correct responses, $31,600 is a big score, etc.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No new episode today, I thought it was supposed to be a weekly thing.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 pm No new episode today, I thought it was supposed to be a weekly thing.
Michael Davies tweeted that there will be an episode today announcing the first five inductees into the Jeopardy! Hall of Fame for the Jeopardy! Honors:

Last week's episode didn't come out until shortly before 10:00 PM Eastern, so I'm guessing that might be a regular thing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:17 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 pm No new episode today, I thought it was supposed to be a weekly thing.
Michael Davies tweeted that there will be an episode today announcing the first five inductees into the Jeopardy! Hall of Fame for the Jeopardy! Honors:

Last week's episode didn't come out until shortly before 10:00 PM Eastern, so I'm guessing that might be a regular thing.
It will probably be Ken, Brad, James, Matt, and Amy.
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:28 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:17 pm

It will probably be Ken, Brad, James, Matt, and Amy.
I would put money on Alex and Johnny.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The first induction class should be Chuck Forrest alone
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm The first induction class should be Chuck Forrest alone
I'd throw Frank Spangenberg in with him.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Frank can be in next year's class. If we're inducting eight players a year we're going to run out of worthy players within a half-decade.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Merv, Alex, Johnny then pick two of:

Elise
Jerry
Chuck
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:37 pm Frank can be in next year's class. If we're inducting eight players a year we're going to run out of worthy players within a half-decade.
Derek Jeter gets inducted in year six then?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

There's no way Johnny Gilbert isn't in the first class given his advancing age.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:52 pm There's no way Johnny Gilbert isn't in the first class given his advancing age.
I was just referring to players. Merv/Alex/Johnny have their own wing and don't need to be elected.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

8/8 podcast - recorded today during break on J! taping day

5-minute time limit to make wager with 30-second warning given

Honors on 9/19 the night before the ToC tapes

Hall of Fame: