Name Ten Leaderboard Through Five Rounds

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Name Ten Leaderboard Through Five Rounds

Post by harrumph »

This includes only those who have submitted for all five rounds.

If you're interested in participating but haven't done so yet, please feel free to submit answers for each round and your points will be added to the leaderboard.
                                     Round 1          Round 2        Round 3    round 4      round 5        total
LucarioSnooperVixey      41                     33               44              47               48            213
Lefty                               42                     42                 31             41              42            198
Cinemaniax7                  39                     38                 40             41               39            197
Woof                              35                     35                 39              40              42            191
Peachbox                       36                    40                 32              38              34            180
MarkBarrett                   37                    39                  26             38              38             178
MattKnowles                  34                    23                  25             32             26             140
gamawire                      16                   18                  18            27             25             104
dougal18                       15                   16                  13             16             19               79
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Name Ten Leaderboard Through Five Rounds

Post by MattKnowles »

Spoiler
Congrats to everybody for making the Top 10.

I'm pretty sure I've had the most wrong answers and I'm not sure how to strategize taking advantage of the bonus 10 points. Some common wrong answers from others are Stonewall Jackson and AIDS. At least I think they're both wrong. I decided not to put Stonewall Jackson and went with assorted common names instead. I don't think I got credit for those. I'm pretty sure somebody named John Smith has died in service of the US military but I'm not going to look into it that deeply so I'll miss the point without complaint. I'm not sure if fictional characters count for some of these categories or not.

I've never realized how few noteworthy novels there were in the 18th century. Literature really seems to have taken off in the 19th century. I'm not really sure why that is either.

Thanks for making this game. It's a good opportunity to learn new things.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Name Ten Leaderboard Through Five Rounds

Post by harrumph »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:58 pm
Spoiler
Congrats to everybody for making the Top 10.

I'm pretty sure I've had the most wrong answers and I'm not sure how to strategize taking advantage of the bonus 10 points. Some common wrong answers from others are Stonewall Jackson and AIDS. At least I think they're both wrong. I decided not to put Stonewall Jackson and went with assorted common names instead. I don't think I got credit for those. I'm pretty sure somebody named John Smith has died in service of the US military but I'm not going to look into it that deeply so I'll miss the point without complaint. I'm not sure if fictional characters count for some of these categories or not.

I've never realized how few noteworthy novels there were in the 18th century. Literature really seems to have taken off in the 19th century. I'm not really sure why that is either.

Thanks for making this game. It's a good opportunity to learn new things.
Spoiler
I tried to be very specific with the language in the questions to avoid possible confusions. With a few of them I realized after seeing people's responses that I could have framed them better.

When I was trying to come with ideas for questions I put a priority for ones that were "interesting" - the American military deaths fit that as we're all aware that many many people have given their lives in service for our country, but their actual names are not part of our common knowledge vocabulary. With the 18th century novels - this was a period before the explosion of novels in the 19th century, but there were enough written to make the question a good test of how well one knows the history of novels. Thus for people like myself who would have a hard time coming up with more than Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, and Candide it might pique my interest in learning the time frames of novels from that period.