Monday, May 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, May 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Bad Kissers and Medical, but ran "V"ocabulary and Theme Park.

$400 in Named a School and Books seemed undervalued. Conversely, Theater seemed upside-down.

FJ! was instaget.

Anyone else thrown by Alex doing FJ! in front of the board just like in the olden days?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:$400 in Named a School and Books seemed undervalued. Conversely, Theater seemed upside-down.
Don't remember which those first two clues were, but I'm with you on Theater.

And yeah, FJ was instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:$400 in Named a School and Books seemed undervalued. Conversely, Theater seemed upside-down.
Don't remember which those first two clues were, but I'm with you on Theater.
$400 in Books was Book Thief. $400 on School was a TS on some war general or something.

I forgot all about Stomp. I remember we watched videos of them in 5th grade music class.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Ben is undoubtedly kicking himself for not wagering more on those DDs. He was running the theater category, which was obviously one of his strengths, then bet just $1,000 on the DD? Aside from that, I thought he played well.

I was hoping the B.C.-ing category would be about British Columbia. However, maybe it's just as well that it wasn't, considering the TS on Vancouver Island (easy Lach Trash for me).

FJ had me compiling a list of four-letter elements until I reached the correct response (4th on my list).
ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh »

FJ! was almost an instaget. :D

Also, how come the set-up looks different now?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

On the Periodic Table
Of the 5 elements with 4-letter names, it's the only one that is not a solid at room temperature.
Spoiler
What is neon? (gold, iron, lead, and zinc are the other 4-letter elements.)

Catherine Briley: $18,000+$17,601=$35,601
Ben Greenho: $17,600+$7,600=$25,200
Eliza Scruton: $6,400+$6,400=$12,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 07, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:$400 in Books was Book Thief. $400 on School was a TS on some war general or something.
Ok ... Book Thief I've never even heard of, so I'd agree with you on that one. Farragut was easy, but I'm a Civil War buff (Civil War + admiral = Farragut. The only other one I can even come up with is Porter), but I have no clue where in FL that school is.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Not going to pick on Ben since he had way more money than I would have at his age if I played this game, but they should consider showing this game when arguing why you should be aggressive on good categories. He ran the theater category with ease. Wagering 1,000 on it was just really poor strategy. Then bidding 2400 on the second DD seemed too cautious as well. Rough way to go.

They need to ramp up the difficulty. It seemed like a buzzer battle for most of these games and the teens are clearly smart. When OneRepublic and Canadian Songs rank among the most difficult DJ clues...
alamble

Post by alamble »

ihsh wrote:FJ! was almost an instaget. :D

Also, how come the set-up looks different now?
Because for some inexplicable reason, they shot the first week of the tournament in LA at the regular studio, but the second week at DAR Constitution Hall in DC (also the site of the Power Players matches)

Chemistry is SO not a wheelhouse subject but I got neon almost automatically. Was very impressed by Ben's comeback in DJ!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fishercat wrote:When OneRepublic and Canadian Songs rank among the most difficult DJ clues...
It was One Direction. OneRepublic is a rock band.

I knew One Direction only because I was involved in a Wikipedia discussion over a few articles related to them.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Catherine on reaching the finals!

Ben needed to bet larger on those Daily Doubles. I don't blame him for being intimidated by a bottom of the board Daily Double in a theater category, but he definitely should have gone for the lead on the Daily Double in the BC category.

The correct response to the FJ clue came to me instantly. At first I thought that it was a hard clue but I guess the noble gases would be a good place to start running through the names of the elements.

Not to take anything away from Catherine, but she really seemed to benefit from buzzer speed on what I thought was an easy board even by the standards of the Teen Tournament. I thought the board was well-written, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alamble wrote: Because for some inexplicable reason, they shot the first week of the tournament in LA at the regular studio, but the second week at DAR Constitution Hall in DC (also the site of the Power Players matches)
It may be inexplicable, but I for one was happy with their decision.

Those are some sharp kids up there. A well-played match.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

DWS wrote:Ben is undoubtedly kicking himself for not wagering more on those DDs. He was running the theater category, which was obviously one of his strengths, then bet just $1,000 on the DD? Aside from that, I thought he played well.
FJ had me compiling a list of four-letter elements until I reached the correct response (4th on my list).
Agreed.

British Columbia + island = TS with 2 negs? Forgive us, Canada.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Purposefully not reading any posts; had to pause the game early on just to make this comment: "Mr Trebek" and "True Daily Double"? Now that's respect for your elders and the game; hope she wins it all!

ETA: YAY !!
And to top it all off, Alex actually made a joke off her straight line instead of his usual lame-assed "Ri-i-i-i-i-ght."
Last edited by Paucle on Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:Purposefully not reading any posts; had to pause the game early on just to make this comment: "Mr Trebek" and "True Daily Double"? Now that's respect for your elders and the game; hope she wins it all!
That, and she bailed on the celebrity kissing category to go back to the one about books. I started cheering for her after that.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Not only did Ben fail to take full advantage of finding the two DDs, he also made a less than ideal wager in FJ. Since Catherine needed to bet just about everything in order to lock him out, he could have bet pretty much whatever he wanted, as long as it was less than $4,800, which would keep Eliza from catching him. So what does he bet? $7,600. Curious strategy. In Eliza's spot, most of the time her wager really wouldn't matter much, but I would have left at least $800 behind, just in case it's a triple stumper and 2nd place makes the all-too-common all-in-just-for-the heck-of-it wager.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I got FJ! tonight. But I won't be checking it in the weekend poll.

Who was that funny-lookin' guy in the audience? He looked foreign or something.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with zinc in FJ because the only other four letter element I could think of was iron.