Monday, May 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, May 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by silverscreentest »

Volante wrote:I dunno about the 'ease' of these boards. Farragut for $400? Damn the point value, full speed ahead!!
The closest Metrorail stations to Constitution Hall where the games were recorded are Farragut North and Farragut West, both on Farragut Square. It may well have been on the minds of the players.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:$400 in Books was Book Thief. $400 on School was a TS on some war general or something.
Ok ... Book Thief I've never even heard of, so I'd agree with you on that one.
I'm reading The Book Thief right now. It's considered Young Adult which explains why teens might be more familiar with it. I'm only halfway through, but I can already say it's vastly superior to most of the YA drivel. Which is why I'm really confused by Amazon noting that people who buy The Book Thief also buy 50 Shades of Grey.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On the whole, the clues for this year's teen tournament are on a higher level than years past, they're much closer to the regular game. The regular game also includes a fair share of gimmees.

The players have an admirable knowledge base, it's refreshing to see high school kids with a strong grasp of history and the world.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Miss Mellie wrote:I'm reading The Book Thief right now. It's considered Young Adult which explains why teens might be more familiar with it. I'm only halfway through, but I can already say it's vastly superior to most of the YA drivel.
I'd rather read some of the truly more kiddie stuff than most YA drivel. Even Animorphs is still more entertaining than most of what's out there now.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

seaborgium wrote:
CyrusChan wrote: oh yeah that Oriental kid is pretty polite too!
Oriental is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
I'll wager that Cyrus Chan feels he can use a term like Oriental with tongue in cheek, which was how it read to me.

Pointing out potential Finals matchups often makes the poster look foolish in retrospect (especially given how many boardies watched this one live), but... sure would be wild if all three finalists in this tourney came from the same QF like they did in yours.
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've been disappointed with the lack of people declaring who will definitely win such as is usually done in advance on here. I really wanted to be able to snicker to myself.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

MarkBarrett wrote:The "Mr. Trebek" in going for the TDD had me thinking Alex told Catherine last week not to call him sir like she did a few times in her first game?
Why do some people bristle at being called "sir" or "ma'am"? Can someone enlighten me?
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Makes them feel old.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Le Master wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:The sequence when (IIRC) Catherine gave an incorrect response to the Boy Band clue, only to have Ben give the correct response might have been a bit funny, but I'm too old to know if it actually was.
It was. 1D is a hardcore teenybopper band. My girlfriend is obsessed.
Ah, I see... I'll pretend this was 1990 and the clue was about NKOTB. Of course, Twitter wasn't around, then... I just did a couple quick searches, and it seems that the given incorrect response was "egregiously" wrong, according to many. (I had no idea so many people would ever tweet about a single J! clue) Lots of anger and "meanness" in the Twitterverse, which is par for the course, I guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The "Mr. Trebek" in going for the TDD had me thinking Alex told Catherine last week not to call him sir like she did a few times in her first game?
Why do some people bristle at being called "sir" or "ma'am"? Can someone enlighten me?
Johnblue wrote:Makes them feel old.
As I heard a female comic say once: "I shouldn't be called 'ma'am' until I've had my first mammogram!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Johnblue wrote:Makes them feel old.
That kinda explains it - It makes a younger person feel grown up! :)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Miss Mellie wrote:I'm reading The Book Thief right now. It's considered Young Adult which explains why teens might be more familiar with it. I'm only halfway through, but I can already say it's vastly superior to most of the YA drivel. Which is why I'm really confused by Amazon noting that people who buy The Book Thief also buy 50 Shades of Grey.
not sure exactly how amazon does it, but it could be as simple as this: lots of people who buy *anything* also buy 50 shades of grey.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

dhkendall wrote:I just think they figured the song started on the eastern end of the country like (maybe?) the US one does (I honestly don't know, I learned the Canadian version when I was little and for the longest time, was the only version I knew. once I learned that it was a re-write of the American original, I was a little disappointed, but it hasn't stuck in my head like the Canadian version has.)
FWIW, "This Land is Your Land" (US) starts off with a location in the west ("From California").

Also, I saw somewhere an objection to this clue based on the lyrics being wrong, and I know on Jeanie's blog there was commentary suggesting Ben should get to be in another tournament because he was in second going into FJ by less than the value of the clue. However, giving the answer "Prince Edward Island" (itself a province) in response a clue with the clear prompt "this British Columbia island" (that is, an island that is part of a province), even if the lyric was wrong by a word, I don't think justifies making that logical jump. It's not a questionable judges' ruling...it is a patently incorrect answer. (Sorry, Ben!)
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.