Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed May 09, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Wed May 09, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Contemporary Novelists
Seeing young people competing in a reality show on one channel & fighting a war on another gave this author a book idea.
SpoilerShow
Who is Suzanne Collins?
Kevin Yang: $12,600-$11,801=$799
Rose Schaefer: $12,200+$12,199=$24,399
Krishna Bharathala: $11,400+$11,400=$22,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh » Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm

FJ! was an instaget, but I couldn't remeber the spelling of the first name. Would "Who is Collins?" have been a correct response?

Also, what happened at start of the DJ round? Why did they give Kevin $200 back?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 pm

ihsh wrote:Also, what happened at start of the DJ round? Why did they give Kevin $200 back?
The picture for Sportsman for $200 didn't show up on screen. Alex said Kevin took a guess that was wrong, and they felt they shouldn't penalize him since he took a guess on a clue that was basically "He's the guy seen here".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Me on Cars in America for $200: "Corvette is Chevy, but he said Chevy in the clue, didn't he? So what else can it be?" Herp to the derp. My mom's whole freaking family worked for GM. I have NO. FREAKING. EXCUSE for missing that one!

J! was just a mess for me. I didn't get a single one right on the entire left half of the board — not an iota of recognition among the plays or Sportsman (I misread $800 and thought somehow that NASCAR was already in the clue). When in the World was also completely impenetrable for me until $1000.

DJ! was generally better, despite me blanking on Chaplin and Hitchcock, clamming on mutation and eskimo and then blanking on La. I was working my way up the solflége scale, and found I couldn't remember past So. "Um… Fa, so… something, ti." Again, DERP!

Hunger Games was a book?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 pm

...the category is: Contemporary Novelists
Me: gee, current novelists in this piss-easy tournament...
Friend: probably Rowling or Meyer
Me: Or the one who wrote Hunger Games, Collins

*sigh*

At least someone missed it, so it wasn't just another "take the lead into FJ = win".
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Yay 3 for 3 in picks for the finals. I knew Catherine and Elyse were the top of the bunch, but after reviewing Rose's game, I felt she was the other candidate.

Am I the only one who has never read the Hunger Games or even heard of it before the movie came out? Just curious mainly. (Admittedly I am not a big fiction reader. Non-fiction (mainly historical stuff) is my preference of reading.)

This should be a fun final to say the least. I have a hard time picking between Catherine and Elyse.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Am I the only one who has never read the Hunger Games or even heard of it before the movie came out? Just curious mainly.
No.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 pm

I thought this was a pretty easy game compared with some of the others in the tournament. However, it was nice to see all three players give competitive performances.

I precalled FJ.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Am I the only one who has never read the Hunger Games or even heard of it before the movie came out? Just curious mainly.
No, you're not.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you Joe Biden for leaving a clue unplayed in the first round, and it was even your $1000 clue :)

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 pm

And third and second went all in in FJ!(second leaving $1 behind). In the end, wagering didn't decide the game. At least the leader bet enough on the DD to take the lead if right, sensing, correctly, it was the last clue in DJ! before time ran out. Didn't matter in the end though.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Meyer was my precall for FJ. When I saw the clue I knew exactly which book and movie they were referring to but I couldn't for the life of me remember the title or the name of the author who wrote it. Ugh.

I believe that this is the third all-female final that there has been in a Teen Tournament. I don't think that it has ever happened in any other tournament, except maybe a Seniors Tournament.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: When in the World was also completely impenetrable for me until $1000.
"President Obama was elected to the Presidency in this year" was impenetrable for you? :roll:

Why wouldn't they have just replaced the Eli Manning clue if the picture never showed up? My guess is that they would have done that, but since Kevin decided to guess, they decided the clue couldn't be replaced? That seems a little unfair to the other 2 players, to reward him for guessing at the clue when the picture didn't show up, even though it was only $200. Actually, Krishna rebounded after his miss, so really only Rose was penalized by the technical snafu. It would have been funnier if the wrong picture had shown up, asking players to name "This Super Bowl MVP" but showing the picture of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao.

If we're now rewarding players for guessing at clues, then how recent must a Super Bowl have occurred in order for someone to be a "recent Super Bowl MVP"? If he had said Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, John Elway, Joe Montana, Lynn Swann, Joe Namath, Bart Starr...how many of those would have been acceptable?

I thought it was strange that the audience gave an audible gasp simply because Kevin mistook Eli Manning for Aaron Rodgers. That seemed a little harsh, but it made a little more sense after Alex's explanation. They must have given TPH the job of putting up the visual clues for this game, and he thought, "If I can't recognize this face, I'll make sure nobody else can either! That'll show 'em!"

Mild spoilers regarding FJ wagering over the past 3 games (no clues mentioned):
SpoilerShow
With the wagers we have seen, if the last two FJs had been triple stumpers, there would be two players advancing to the Finals with $800 and $799. Just 1 of 6 trailing players in the 3 Semi-Finals wagered to leave more than $1 behind on a miss.
On FJ, I immediately surmised that they were describing the Hunger Games books in the clue, but I drew a total blank on the author's name. I knew virtually nothing about the books before the movie came out, but have since at least came to understand a rough outline of the plot, and have heard the author's name plenty of times, it just didn't come to the surface on this occasion. I was going to write "Who is the writer of the Hunger Games?", and try to talk Alex into accepting it, Cliff Clavin-style. "Well, Alex, that is technically correct, she is the writer of that book. She has also never been in my kitchen, if that helps."
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I'd never heard of the Hunger Games until I saw a trailer for the movie at some other movie I went to last year. Looked intriguing enough to borrow the book from my niece, and it's very entertaining.
I'm glad they gave that explanation for the photo glitch! I thought the audience was pretty rude at the wrong guess of Aaron Rodgers. The guy won the Superbowl MVP just last year, it wasn't a terrible guess!
Now I see why they laughed. Still and all, the clue did ask who won the 2012 Superbowl MVP (barely two months prior at taping), and it was his second one, so.... lack of picture wouldn't have been a problem for a fan!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: When in the World was also completely impenetrable for me until $1000.
"President Obama was elected to the Presidency in this year" was impenetrable for you? :roll:
That one wasn't impenetrable, just me being a derp. Wasn't sure if they wanted election or taking office, so I clammed.
They must have given TPH the job of putting up the visual clues for this game, and he thought, "If I can't recognize this face, I'll make sure nobody else can either! That'll show 'em!"
:lol:
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

DBear

Post by DBear » Wed May 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Sigh. Completely blanked on who wrote Hunger Games. Was hoping for some comedy gold from Joe Biden, but no. I thought they should've given the state corresponding to the postal abbreviation to make the category more challenging.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Obama was elected to the Presidency in this year"
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wasn't sure if they wanted election or taking office, so I clammed.
On reading the clue, I know it's not real obvious, but something lends me to believe they're asking when he was elected. I know there's TOM in there somewhere for "elected," just can't seem to find it...

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Paucle wrote:Obama was elected to the Presidency in this year"
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wasn't sure if they wanted election or taking office, so I clammed.
On reading the clue, I know it's not real obvious, but something lends me to believe they're asking when he was elected. I know there's TOM in there somewhere for "elected," just can't seem to find it...
Lesson of the day. Don't play along with Jeopardy! while asleep.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent