Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

36 years in the Senate, 4 years as Veep & he still bores the crap out of me. As for the 55 MPG by 2025, I drive a hybrid Escape that gets 31 MPG. I don't see that target being met although I'd be very happy if it did. Not sure who I'm going to vote for yet but Biden's appearance isn't helping his cause.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I've never been fond of guest celebrities reading clues on camera, but Joe Biden may be the slowest (or at least the most sleep-inducing) presenter ever.

On the other hand, the Teen Tournament has boasted some of the most adorable contestants in a long time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Am I the only one who has never read the Hunger Games or even heard of it before the movie came out? Just curious mainly.
Of course you're not. Although the books were apparently insanely popular among younger readers, I never heard of them before the movie was mentioned on J! Of course, based on that alone I knew which book this FJ clue referred to, but had not clue about the author.

Based on what I know of the books/movie, the Golding (LotF) miss was not the worst miss ever.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:Based on what I know of the books/movie, the Golding (LotF) miss was not the worst miss ever.
Indeed, I once made the observation that Twilight:Dracula :: Hunger Games:LotF
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I go with Katie Couric's method, which can't fail once you hear it: I'm a Dinner Jacket.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:I go with Katie Couric's method, which can't fail once you hear it: I'm a Dinner Jacket.
Jacket just has one syllable too many... No sir, I don't like it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:
alietr wrote:I go with Katie Couric's method, which can't fail once you hear it: I'm a Dinner Jacket.
Jacket just has one syllable too many... No sir, I don't like it.
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I used the method last night to get the name right, but I learned it from Whoopi. Now I'm curious who came up with it first?
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Why wouldn't they have just replaced the Eli Manning clue if the picture never showed up? My guess is that they would have done that, but since Kevin decided to guess, they decided the clue couldn't be replaced? That seems a little unfair to the other 2 players, to reward him for guessing at the clue when the picture didn't show up, even though it was only $200. Actually, Krishna rebounded after his miss, so really only Rose was penalized by the technical snafu. It would have been funnier if the wrong picture had shown up, asking players to name "This Super Bowl MVP" but showing the picture of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao.
What was really odd was why they took so long to come to the ruling they did, that should have been decided as soon as they realized the picture wasn't up, aka right then.
maggie says during her spiel: if there is any technical error but you think you can still play the clue, then play the clue and they will clean it up in post-production if necessary. so i'm sure that's what kevin was thinking when he rang in with aaron rodgers, and that's also why they didn't stop the clue. if anybody had been able to come up with eli manning, there would have been no need for anybody (except for the studio audience) ever to know about the glitch.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

John Boy wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Am I the only one who has never read the Hunger Games or even heard of it before the movie came out? Just curious mainly.
Of course you're not. Although the books were apparently insanely popular among younger readers, I never heard of them before the movie was mentioned on J! Of course, based on that alone I knew which book this FJ clue referred to, but had not clue about the author.
I first heard of The Hunger Games when it was used as an $800-level name-the-author-given-the-title clue in the
2010-B College Tournament:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3508

What struck me at the time was that all three contestants seemed to be trying to buzz in, so apparently this book/author data point was something that was very well known (among college students, at least) even though I had never heard of it before.

So I decided I should probably look into it, just in case it might ever come up again ....
(Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me thrice, call me TPH. ;) )

I bought a copy of the first book and took it along on a vacation. (Yellowstone -- yes, it was awesome; thanks for asking!) Started reading it and basically couldn't put it down. Ended up hitting a bookstore in Jackson, Wyoming just so I could buy the second book!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

jpahk wrote:maggie says during her spiel: if there is any technical error but you think you can still play the clue, then play the clue and they will clean it up in post-production if necessary.
Joon, I'm curious: how many times did you hear Maggie's spiel? Does she do the whole thing during the ToC?
jkbrat wrote:I bought a copy of the first book and took it along on a vacation. (Yellowstone -- yes, it was awesome; thanks for asking!) Started reading it and basically couldn't put it down. Ended up hitting a bookstore in Jackson, Wyoming just so I could buy the second book!
I finished the The Hunger Games on a flight to Vegas and, before the flight home, spent an hour in the airport looking for a bookstore with a copy of Catching Fire!
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Miss Mellie wrote:Joon, I'm curious: how many times did you hear Maggie's spiel? Does she do the whole thing during the ToC?
let's see... five? (three "regular" tape days, two ToC tape days) i think she didn't do the whole spiel on the second tape day of the ToC (semis + finals), but she definitely did some. she definitely did the whole spiel on the first day of the ToC, because some of us (buddy) hadn't been on the show for 18 months. so those of us who had been on the show only three weeks before got to learn the spiel word for word. ;) also, there were a few extra tournament-specific rules to go over during the ToC spiels (tiebreakers, wild cards, minimum guarantees, etc.), to make up for the fact that she could go through the "regular" spiel a bit faster since we didn't have (m)any questions about it.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Wow. That is a lot of The Maggie Show!

Thanks!