Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by silverscreentest »

legendneverdies wrote:This FJ! was asked late in season four. IIRC it was someone's game five, I want to say Roy Holliday's game five.
Jeopardy champion and Cy Young winner. That guy's amazing! :lol:
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:seriously, you guys have GOT to stop replying to TPH's most idiotic comments. it's stupid and infuriating.
You know how there's the JBoarder of the month rank? I'm thinking of implementing the TPH Sucker of the Day rank. Very, very tempting.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

alietr wrote:
jpahk wrote:seriously, you guys have GOT to stop replying to TPH's most idiotic comments. it's stupid and infuriating.
You know how there's the JBoarder of the month rank? I'm thinking of implementing the TPH Sucker of the Day rank. Very, very tempting.

People replied to my unliked comments over the past 16 years between here and there. Hate to disagree with Jpahk or Alietr, but I guess people like to respond to the less than smart comments on the internet, too.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

alietr wrote: You know how there's the JBoarder of the month rank? I'm thinking of implementing the TPH Sucker of the Day rank. Very, very tempting.
Maybe that'll slow down the people who respond to him, just having said that.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This should be put on the main page of the forum.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

harrumph wrote:
How 'bout we just put a sign on the front lawn...

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I like TPH; his enthusiasm for the game is infectious & he seems very nice. He's certainly not a troll.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:I like TPH; his enthusiasm for the game is infectious & he seems very nice. He's certainly not a troll.
Agreed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

seaborgium wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: Elyse Mancuso: $13,200+10,000=$23,200
Rose Schaefer: $9,400+$3,000=$12,400
Catherine Briley: $7,400+$2,600=$10,000
Crunching numbers here: entering FJ tomorrow, Elyse can enter FJ in third and still be in a position to win on a triple get. All she has to is be within $5,400 of Rose and within $6,600 of Catherine. For Rose to be able to win on a triple get, she needs to lead Elyse by more than $5,400 and be within $1,200 of Catherine. And Catherine must lead Elyse by more than $6,600 and Rose by more than $1,200 to have the highest potential total.

To achieve a lock tomorrow, Elyse must get within $10,800 of Rose's doubled score and within $13,200 of Catherine's. (For example, R: $10,000 C: $11,200 E: $9,400 is a slim lock for Elyse.) If Rose enters tomorrow's FJ with less than $5,400 and Catherine has less than $6,600, Elyse will have a superlock (a lock tournament that it is impossible to Clavin your way out of).
I don't think of it the way you do. I think of it relative so if:
You're E, it's +13,200 on C and + 10,800 on R
You're R, it's -10,800 on E and +2,400 on C
You're C, it's -13,200 on E and -2,400 on C.

I think if you consider yourself on that level rather than those huge values, it'll be easier.

Say you're E, you just do the max of ( 2*R or 2*C) - 13,200 and you'll know what you need to do with your score on day 2.
If you're R, your day 2 score does not need to be high if C's score is a threat or leading. You're alive as long as you can keep that "<5,400 distance" on E.
If you're C, pretty much with that deficit, you should tell yourself you have to reach a floor of about 12,000 and about a 3k lead over E. That way E will still need to cover your 2x score and from that, you can make a small but methodical wager to shut out R or hope to win on a triple-stumper or sole-get.

As long as C goes for a 3k lead on E, she is still in the running and R's goal is to go for a similar floor but about a 2k lead on E. If R has 12k and E has 10k today, R can still win it. Add C into the equation at say 13k, all three are running. All that said and in likelihood, should E get the Final, she'll probably win.

ENough of my rambling now... haha
Might have confused many (including me) with this...
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote:This exact FJ was used as an FJ many years ago, may have been in a TOC. I could not find it via an archive search. I'll bet Rose and Catherine are kicking themselves for chickening out and betting small when seeing a sports FJ.
The 2004 book "This Is Jeopardy!" by Ray Richmond confirms that one of the FJ!s from Season 4 (1987-88) categories was "The Olympics." The clue was: "The 2 inhabited continents that have never hosted the modern summer games." The correct responses were: "What are Africa and South America?" Ray also added in, "This was true back in Season Four, and it's still true today." However, this book does not mention the dates that the FJ!s actually came from, though.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Johnblue wrote:I like TPH; his enthusiasm for the game is infectious & he seems very nice. He's certainly not a troll.
whether he's nice has nothing to do with it*. the "infectious" part is the problem, but only because so many people here seem to feel the need to reply to every dumb thing he says, no matter how many times he's already said it and everyone has already given him the same reply.

i also disagree that he's "certainly" not a troll. whether he intends to or not, he has obvious troll-like effects on jboard, drastically reducing the signal-to-noise ratio here. it seems like 50% of some recent threads have been littered with his inane back-and-forths with others on this board who should really know better.

do me this favor: the next time you are reading this forum and TPH asks "how was i supposed to know that one?", ask yourself this question: is there anybody else reading this thread who might find this answer useful? if not, then don't post an answer. if you absolutely must answer, that's what private messaging is for.

and the next time you read "how were we supposed to recognize the person in that picture" or "i didn't even come up with anything for FJ", for the love of maggie, just LET IT GO. you are not going to change him.

* although i remember one thread where he said something unbelievably rude and discriminatory (and ignorant, but that almost goes without saying) about one of the contestants.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Another way to look at this is that TPH serves as a kind of sparring partner. (You know, the fall guy a boxer practices on.) If someone feels in the mood to do some explaining, then they can feel free to work out their explaining faculties on him. Doesn't bother me.

Also, it's worth considering that real trolling causes all kinds of disputes. First, people dispute with the troll. Then other people get angry at whoever's talking to the troll, and take them to task. My advice is not to join in the melee, because once you do, you've been well and truly trolled.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

joon, most of the time I let it slide, but in this instance I made an exception. I felt I had to point out to him that he didn't not-know it! He documented how he'd worked out the correct solution, then chose to ignore it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jkbrat wrote:
harrumph wrote:
How 'bout we just put a sign on the front lawn...

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
This should be a sign on the front lawn of the Internet. In other words, it's common netiquette that people should know not to feed trolls.

(And, yes, I'm as guilty of anyone as feeding the TPHroll, I suppose I'm just in denial how a forum I like to hang out on, the primary reason being the ambient intellect of the regulars, would even have trolls, as we're all too smart to troll. If I encounter a place where the average intellect is right around Republican Presidential candidate level, I leave. But I like it here because we're too smart. I guess I've been blind to those that are, well, "Not J! Contestant Material". Since I still like this place, I'll definitely take joon's advice to heart, as he's definitely one of the smart and level headed ones here, as demonstrated by the sagely words of his most recent post.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

There are trolls who contribute non-troll messages, or there were on the old Usenet newsgroup alt.tv.game-shows(which is still around but for years has been virtually all troll messages). People would respond to the trolls who contributed non-troll messages, but usually didn't respond to the trolls who didn't.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I believe I have made this TPH point before, but joon's iteration of the problem is on the mark. I would also point out something quite important: the signal to noise ratio problem is highly likely to drive some, if not many, more interesting posters away from the board, and we will be the poorer for it.

I don't wish to make Bobby feel bad, like many of you don't, but he has categorically refused or is incapable of changing the nature of his posts, and the ridiculous insistence on trying to change his obviously immutable behavior makes the ignore function ineffective. joon is correct to point out that frequently this weird back and forth is comprises about half of a day's thread. I don't have TPH on ignore, but I skip his posts, only to find the next several giving him 'advice' or some tepid criticism.

I would bet that this exact thing has driven valuable input away from this place, so with an apologetic nod to Bobby, I'll state it's my opinion that "What Do We Do About This" has become a valid topic for community discussion--and perhaps action.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote:I believe I have made this TPH point before, but joon's iteration of the problem is on the mark. I would also point out something quite important: the signal to noise ratio problem is highly likely to drive some, if not many, more interesting posters away from the board, and we will be the poorer for it.

I don't wish to make Bobby feel bad, like many of you don't, but he has categorically refused or is incapable of changing the nature of his posts, and the ridiculous insistence on trying to change his obviously immutable behavior makes the ignore function ineffective. joon is correct to point out that frequently this weird back and forth is comprises about half of a day's thread. I don't have TPH on ignore, but I skip his posts, only to find the next several giving him 'advice' or some tepid criticism.

I would bet that this exact thing has driven valuable input away from this place, so with an apologetic nod to Bobby, I'll state it's my opinion that "What Do We Do About This" has become a valid topic for community discussion--and perhaps action.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

I'm new here, so I'm a little hesitant to join this conversation, but I have a 15 year old son with Asperger's Syndrome, so I feel I might have something to add. (If I'm not mistaken, TPH has mentioned that he also has this diagnosis.) Maybe I am more tolerant than most of his repetitive themes, but I am not bothered by him nearly as much as I am by those who need to react to him, or "teach" him. I'm making the assumption that these are people without a disability, who could just as easily restrain themselves. I have never felt the need to respond, and I don't think he's even looking for that. (It also bothers me that people talk about him as if he isn't in the "room", which I admit I am doing now.)

Difficulty with social interaction is a diagnostic criteria for Asperger's, and many Aspie's find their only social interactions online, where there is less nonverbal communication and things move a little more slowly. I would not want someone to take that small sense of belonging away from my son, and I hope you don't take it away from TPH. Just my two cents.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Well stated. Bullying isn't cool no matter where it happens.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

We're still having this conversation? I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.
xxaaaxx wrote:The only two solutions to this "situation" I can think of are, either people exercise more self control and let his annoying posts die ignored and un-commented upon, or just outright ban him.
Even four months later (or, really, two years, counting the old board), option 1 seems to be impossible. Do people avoid using their ignore lists on principle?