Wednesday, May 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6378, 2012-05-16

2012 Power Players Week game 3.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Chris Wallace, a TV host from Fox News Sunday
Katty Kay, a Washington, D.C. anchor from BBC World News America
Dr. Mehmet Oz, a cardiac surgeon and TV host from The Dr. Oz Show

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hey, it's great to be back in our nation's capital. Over the last few days, I've had a number of people come up to me and say, "Well, what is a Power Player?" Let me explain. A Power Player is a man or a woman who, through his or her writings or comments in the media, are able to influence the way the rest of us feel or think about events in the news, and these three certainly qualify--Chris, Katty, and Dr. Oz. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Pick up your signaling devices. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And now we reveal the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FAIR & BALANCED (5/5)
ABRUPT ABBREVS. (1/1)
WASHINGTON, D.C. (4/4)
STARS & CAUSES (0/0) (Alex: Now you're all here playing for charity, so we're going to test you on your knowledge of...)
IT'S THE "E"-CONOMY (3/5)
THE AUDACITY OF HOPE (4/5) (Alex: But with a twist. We're talking about Bob Hope.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 7 R, 0 W
Katty: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Dr. Oz: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 20
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Katty: $2,600
Dr. Oz: $1,000
Chris: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: All right. Let's spend some time talking to the players. Chris, on your Sunday morning program, you get to do one-on-one and one-on-two interviews. Do you ever get frustrated when you're dealing with someone in power, and you ask a question, and they immediately start the spin, and you have time limitations because of your show?

Chris: Absolutely, and one of the things you think to yourself is, "I'd like to ask a follow-up, but is it worth another two minutes of perhaps even more spin?"

Alex: Okay. Now tell me about your charity.

Chris: I'm, uh, representing a great charity called Hope for the Warriors, started by military wives about a half-dozen years ago.
It provides help to wounded warriors, to the families of wounded warriors, and to the families of fallen warriors, and it's a great program to help those people who have sacrificed so much to defend us.

Alex: Good for you.

[Applause]

Alex: They appreciate it, also.

Alex: Katty Kay, you were born abroad. You're the daughter of a diplomat. You've lived and traveled all over the world, especially in the Middle East. You're the perfect person to ask this question of. Do people in the Middle East like us as individuals and hate the country, or do they just hate all of us?

Katty: [Chuckles] They certainly don't hate you, Alex.

Alex: I know.

Katty: Um, no, th--on the whole, the reception that I've always had, traveling through the Middle East and, actually, I would say, nearly all the world, has always been very welcoming. Generally speaking, people will take you as you are, and if you show them courtesy and--

Alex: And respect?

Katty: --interest, you will get it back.

Alex: All right. Tell me about your charity, please.

Katty: It's the International Women's Media Foundation. It's an organization that supports women journalists around the world, but particularly, women who are trying to bring us the news in dangerous or repressive countries. Uh, these women are often operating under terrible threats and in tough conditions, just to bring us the news, and it's really great that we can do something to help them.

Alex: Let's hope we can. Thank you.

[Applause]

Alex: And now... to Dr. Oz. Mehmet, I am confused. I heard on television not so long ago that I have to give up sugar entirely. Six months ago, I was not supposed to have red meat. When I was growing up, I couldn't have eggs or butter. Now it's okay to have them. What on Earth is going on with all these recommendations?

Dr. Oz: Well, you know, we gotta keep up with the science, and we used to think it was a fairly simplistic process of ruling out one food or one food group. We now realize that if you can make the right choices, you can control 70% of how you age. That's a lot of power. It's worth spending a little time to learn that so you can nudge yourself in the right direction, but, Alex, the big thing isn't those decisions. That's not where we're losing in America. It's we're making fundamental decisions about how we automate our lives that make it easy for us to do the wrong thing. That's where we're losing. It's the behaviors, the motivation, not the knowledge.

Alex: Okay. Now your charity.

Dr. Oz: It's called HealthCorps. You know what the Peace Corps is.

Alex: Yes.

Dr. Oz: So just like the Peace Corps does, we take young, energetic college graduates, we ship them off, instead of to overseas countries, to schools around the United States. They go into these schools, and they teach these kids how to take care of their bodies, because once they have the mental resilience to realize they're worth it, they take care of the world around them.

Alex: All right. That's great.

[Applause]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S THE "E"-CONOMY $600: Salary & tips are considered this type of income that has its own "tax credit"

IT'S THE "E"-CONOMY $1000: It takes "work" to remember that Keynes' major opus is "The General Theory of" this, "Interest and Money"

THE AUDACITY OF HOPE $1000: LBJ "is traveling throughout the Far East to make" these. "If it works, he may try it in" the United States

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Katty: $4,000
Chris: $3,000
Dr. Oz: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POLITICAL CINEMA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU CALL YOURSELF A DOCTOR? (3/4)
COLOR ME BAD (2/2)
"BLOW" HARDS (5/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES THE ARTS (4/5)
THE BRITISH ARE COMING! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katty: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Dr. Oz: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katty snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Dr. Oz had $1,000, Katty had $5,200, and Chris was at $3,800. Katty wagered $1,000.

POLITICAL CINEMA $1200: This 1939 Jimmy Stewart classic premiered here at Constitution Hall

"It's just the blood and bone and sinew of this democracy that some great men handed down to the human race, that's all!"
(Katty: What is Mr. Smith Comes to Washington?)
(Alex: Oh, no, no. Gosh. I'm sorry to rule against you.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Chris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Dr. Oz had $2,200, Katty had $6,200, and Chris was at $7,000. Chris wagered $2,000.

THE BRITISH ARE COMING! $1600: The British did not have bon temps in the Jan. 8, 1815 battle of this city
(Chris: I've lived my whole life to say, "Alex, let's make it a True Daily Double," but this is way too much money.)
[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE NEW YORK TIMES THE ARTS $2000: A 2011 review said the acoustics of this famous NYC hall turned a chorale's words into whooshes
(Chris: What is Lincoln Center?)
(Alex: If it isn't Lincoln Center, it's probably [*].)

YOU CALL YOURSELF A DOCTOR? $1200: This novelty song presenter hung up his stethoscope, retiring his radio show in 2010

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chris: $19,400 (lock game)
Katty: $7,800
Dr. Oz: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Chris: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Katty: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Dr. Oz: You've no hope of catching up... unless Katty does something stupid. So risk $2,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2011, in the preface to the 75th anniversary edition, Pat Conroy called this novel "the last great... victory of the Confederacy"

FINAL SCORES
Dr. Oz: $3,000 + $2,900 = $5,900 (What is Gone With The Wind) (3rd place: $10,000 to HealthCorps)
Katty: $7,800 + $200 = $8,000 (What is gone with the wind) (2nd place: $10,000 to the International Women's Media Foundation)
Chris: $19,400 + $3,400 = $22,800 (What is "Gone with the Wind"?) (Winner: $50,000 to Hope for the Warriors)
(Dr. Oz: I was going [*]. Couldn't do the math quite fast enough.)
(Alex: Well, you went with the right response.)
(Alex: Katty Kay, what about you?)
(Katty: [before her response is revealed]: I also went with [*], but, um...)
(Alex: You didn't risk much?)
(Katty: I didn't risk enough money.)
(Katty: I was never gonna catch up with Chris anyway.)
(Alex: Good. You figured that out.)
[Laughter]
(Chris: I did have to do the adding, it didn't come so quickly, but I did pick [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chris: $19,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katty: $8,800, 12 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Dr. Oz: $3,000, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Chris: 23/59 = .390
Katty: 13/59 = .220
Dr. Oz: 7/58 = .121
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAIR & BALANCED $800: Since 2000 Starbucks has coffee certified "fair" this, from small-scale farmers organized into cooperatives
(Dr. Oz: What is a latte?)
(Alex: No.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Would you like one?)

WASHINGTON, D.C. $400: (Alex presents the clue from the Newseum in Washington, D.C.) From the front balcony of the Newseum, we can easily see its neighbor, the embassy of this longtime U.S. ally; it's the embassy that's closest to the U.S. Capitol building
(Chris: I always knew you were gonna ask one of these questions. What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes. [Chuckles] All right, we have a minute to go now, Chris.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. $600: Its Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom is the permanent home of the Declaration of Independence
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"BLOW" HARDS $1200: This group was big in the '90s with hits like "Only Wanna Be With You"
(Alex: You're surprised that you got that, aren't you?)
(Chris: Yes, I'm very surprised.)
(Dr. Oz: Very well done.)
[Laughter]
(Chris: [Pointing to his head] It's amazing what comes up.)

THE NEW YORK TIMES THE ARTS $1600: Times reviewers sigh & musicians' unions fume over dance companies like Paul Taylor's using music presented this way
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

YOU CALL YOURSELF A DOCTOR? $1600: The ideas of Lowell Wood, dubbed "Dr. Evil", helped inspire Ronald Reagan to propose this defense program
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
earned income
Employment
friends
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
New Orleans
Carnegie Hall
Dr. Demento
Gone with the Wind
fair trade
Canada
the National Archives
Hootie & the Blowfish
on tape (or recorded)
the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

American Literature
In 2011, in the preface to the 75th anniversary edition, Pat Conroy called this novel "The last great...victory of the Confederacy".
Spoiler
What is Gone with the Wind?
Chris Wallace: $19,400+$3,400=$22,800
Katty Kay: $7,800+$200=$8,000
Dr. Oz: $3,000+$2,900=$5,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Much better today. Finally an instaget FJ after the first two ones I had no idea.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Instaget final as well. Nice to see Chris Wallace make up for his Fox News colleague (who I have been both cheering for), Dana Perino.

Tomorrow should be mighty interesting.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All three were quick on the draw today, and we STILL leave 10 clues unplayed in J! What. The. HELL.

Precalled Hootie & the Blowfish in "Blow". I've never heard "blowout" in either context that they used it in $400 though.

(Also, for some reason, these boards have seemed even harder than most TOC boards to me.)

Was going to say Gone with the Wind, but I thought the novel was quite a bit older than that. I was honestly expecting it to be some book I'd never heard of.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

1936 + Civil War era? Free money.

Why did they all feel the need to announce their FJ answers?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

TenPoundHammer wrote:All three were quick on the draw today, and we STILL leave 10 clues unplayed in J! What. The. HELL.
I have to believe Alex's monologue had a piece in that problem. I looked at my TV, we were at 7:05 for the first commercial break after 11 clues, didn't come back till 7:08 then interviews then the other 9Qs in the remaining time till 7:11.

(All times EDT)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I blanked on this FJ, kind of the same way I did on the Sphinx one last week. I need to lay off the artificial sweeteners, I think they are poking holes in my brain.

Overall this was a pretty enjoyable game. I thought the board was within reason for a celebrity game, too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I went with 1905's The Clansman as well. I suck at math.

In case anyone else wondered, the ... in the FJ clue was representing the single word "posthumous", as in "the last great posthumous victory of the Confederacy". Why bother leaving out one word from a quote like that? Were they afraid people would not know what that word meant and be confused by it?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Aw, my reverse trolling got deleted.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jeff6286 wrote:I went with 1905's The Clansman as well. I suck at math.
Alas that comment has been deleted, so let's pretend it didn't happen.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm now back over .500 for the week in both FJ and having heard of the celebrities, it was only the chick I'd never heard of before.

A bit surprised the highest educated of the three came in last. I guess the intros and longer interviews eat up a lot of time, the first round wasn't that slow.

Once I did the math, FJ was a piece of cake.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: In case anyone else wondered, the ... in the FJ clue was representing the single word "posthumous", as in "the last great posthumous victory of the Confederacy". Why bother leaving out one word from a quote like that? Were they afraid people would not know what that word meant and be confused by it?
I know what the word means, but not sure how it relates to the book. I've never read it and only seen parts of the movie and have only a vague idea of the plot.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: In case anyone else wondered, the ... in the FJ clue was representing the single word "posthumous", as in "the last great posthumous victory of the Confederacy". Why bother leaving out one word from a quote like that? Were they afraid people would not know what that word meant and be confused by it?
I know what the word means, but not sure how it relates to the book. I've never read it and only seen parts of the movie and have only a vague idea of the plot.
The word "posthumous" refers to the fact that the book was published 71 years after the death of the Confederacy. --Bob
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Did my eyes and ears deceive me? Did I actually see a celebrity J! where the contestants actually played well and more importantly, knew how to bet?
Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I thought for a second that Alex might hold Chris to his true daily double declaration. In regular play I wonder if a player could get away with that?

If Katty had not made Capra turn over then she would have had 9800 to avoid the lock if nothing else changed. It didn't matter with the triple solve on FJ of course.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:I thought for a second that Alex might hold Chris to his true daily double declaration. In regular play I wonder if a player could get away with that?
Changing their mind on a DD bet? It happened recently ("no, wait, that's too much...")
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think he just said, "I've always wanted to say this, but can't risk that much money". so he didn't really change his mind, he was just making a joke.

Was this game taped before or after Mike Wallace's death?

both first and second had locks and bet to protect them. Good work, even if second is the same as third, prizewise.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:I think he just said, "I've always wanted to say this, but can't risk that much money". so he didn't really change his mind, he was just making a joke.
Thanks. I guess I've heard so many players make the TDD speech I now hear it when it's not even there.