Friday, May 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6385, 2012-05-25

Joel Pool game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Arceneaux, a grant writer from Los Angeles, California
Jim Virtel, a graduate student of philosophy from Lemont, Illinois
Joel Pool, a real estate developer from Oakland, California (whose 4-day cash winnings total $86,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Joel became Jeopardy! champion on Monday of this week. Will he still be Jeopardy! champion on Monday of next week? This half-hour, in which he faces Jim and Jennifer, will determine that. Three J's up there. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE AIR (5/5)
NEW WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
SOUTHPAWS (4/5)
CAPITAL & COUNTRY: SAME FIRST LETTER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HISTORY (3/5)
SPELLING WITH THE STARS (4/5) (Alex: And you must spell the correct response)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joel: 13 R, 0 W
Jennifer: 5 R, 0 W
Jim: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Joel had $400, Jim had $400, and Jennifer was at $400. Jim wagered $1,000.

CAPITAL & COUNTRY: SAME FIRST LETTER $600: City & country where NATO is headquartered
(Jim: Uhh ... )
(Alex: Not coming, is it?)
(Jim: No.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joel: $3,200
Jim: $1,400
Jennifer: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Arceneaux is from Los Angeles, and she must have show biz ambitions, because you once barked a song at an a-audition?

Jennifer: I did. I thought it would be fun to try out for the musical, Peter Pan, and I'm not a singer, though, and I don't really dance, so I went out for Nana the dog.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Jennifer: You had to sing in the audition, two songs. I sang the first song, and then I barked the second, and I got the part.

Alex: You got the part.

Jennifer: Got the part.

Alex: Good for you. That's it. Little bit of innovation there.

Alex: Jim Virtel is from Lemont, Illinois--a graduate student of philosophy. Be more specific. What philosophies are we talking about?

Jim: Uh, I'm interested in philosophy of science, philosophy of cognitive science and aesthetics, and individually and where they all overlap, and how we perceive--

Alex: More modern stuff, then?

Jim: Yeah.

Alex: Not--not Plato and--and Aristotle. Medieval stuff.

Jim: Yeah, not that stuff.

Alex: Is it true your grandmother kept a picture of me in her room?

Jim: Uh, it was in the living room...

Alex: Oh.

Jim: And it was signed, uh, it was signed by you. My uncle, uh, received it when he was trying out. He was doing, uh, an Army--it was for the Army version, and he--he didn't get on the show, but he got the picture, and it was in--in her living room for a while.

Alex: Oh, good. All right.

Alex: Joel Pool is our champion. Now I know your parents are the ones who encouraged you to try out for Jeopardy! They're in the audience today, right? To cheer you on?

Joel: That's right.

Alex: They must be very proud. You're a 4-time winner. Why did they think you were so special and you had to be encouraged to tr--

Joel: Well, every time I, uh, visit, they, uh, we--they play Jeopardy! religiously...

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Joel: And, uh, we just play together, and I've always, uh, been able to answer a few more, and they always--my mom keeps telling everyone I-I was gonna be a Jeopardy! champ, so I had to take the test.

Alex: She's got to feel so proud right now. "I told him, and he won four times, maybe five. We'll see." Pick up your signaling device. You make the next selection for me, champ.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPELLING WITH THE STARS $800: The Doors & Patti Smith have both recorded the Van Morrison song shouting this gal's name

HISTORY $800: Clause 39 of this influenced Britain's Habeas Corpus Act of 1679

HISTORY $1000: This conference Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 1943 guaranteed Iran's postwar independence
(Jim: What is Yalta?)

SOUTHPAWS $800: Perhaps he used his left hand when, as legend says, he cut the Gordian Knot in 333 B.C.
(Jim: Who is Pericles?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joel: $9,000
Jennifer: $1,600
Jim: $600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THERE'S SOMETHING ON THE AIR (4/5)
BUSINESS SCHOOLS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FILL IN THE BLANK CANVAS (3/5)
"CAMP" FOLLOWERS (4/5)
VIRGIL (3/5)
FUN WITH ELEMENTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jim: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 2 W
Joel: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jennifer: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Joel had $10,200, Jim had $3,000, and Jennifer was at $1,600. Jim made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

BUSINESS SCHOOLS $1200: The Kenan-Flagler business school occupies a 191,000 sq.-ft. building on the Chapel Hill campus of this university

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Joel had $11,800, Jim had $12,000, and Jennifer was at $6,000. Jim wagered $2,000.

FUN WITH ELEMENTS $2000: Bauxite is where you'll find this element, the most abundant metal in the earth's crust

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FILL IN THE BLANK CANVAS $1600: Vermeer had the home-court advantage: "View of ___"

FILL IN THE BLANK CANVAS $2000: Parmigianino's masterpiece: "Madonna of the Long ___"

"CAMP" FOLLOWERS $1600: Enjoy the sunrise over this Canadian island in the Bay of Fundy
(Alex: Wasn't the play, Sunrise at [*][/i]"?)

THERE'S SOMETHING ON THE AIR $2000: Graham Elliot & Joe Bastianich judge amateur cooks to see who will live up to this TV title
(Joel: What is Iron Chef?)

VIRGIL $1600: In this poem Dante used Virgil as a guide through hell & purgatory
(Jim: What is, uh... what is The Inferno?)

VIRGIL $2000: On the Great Seal, this word ends the phrase adapted from Virgil meaning "a new order of the ages": "novus ordo..."

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jim: $14,800
Joel: $11,800
Jennifer: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY MATTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Jim: Wager $8,801 to cover Joel.
Joel: You'll want to wager $3,001, and you'll win the game if Jim wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Jennifer: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1934 the lease for this place was increased to $4,085 per year; since 1959 the checks haven't been cashed

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $5,200 + $1,800 = $7,000 (What is Guantanamo?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joel: $11,800 - $3,100 = $8,700 (What is ?) (5-day champion: $95,300)
Jim: $14,800 - $8,801 = $5,999 (What is Fort Knox?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jim: $14,000, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: $11,800, 20 R, 2 W
Jennifer: $5,200, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $31,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Joel: 20/58 = .345
Jim: 21/61 = .344
Jennifer: 9/58 = .155
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEW WORDS & PHRASES $600: "Pulley attached to cable" doesn't capture the sensation like this term that includes a synonym for "zero"

FUN WITH ELEMENTS $400: The USA's first sign using this gaseous element was over a Packard dealership in Los Angeles
(Jim: What is helium?)

FUN WITH ELEMENTS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates the clue)

Trick candles relight after being snuffed...(blows air) because this element, mg, has a low ignition temperature; you can see flecks of it going off & igniting the paraffin vapor

FUN WITH ELEMENTS $1600: A cesium-beam type of this has given us the most accurate realization of a unit man has achieved
(Joel: What is a laser?)

VIRGIL $800: During the Middle Ages, some theologians believed that Virgil's 4th eclogue foretold his birth
(Jennifer: [long pause, shakes head] Nothing.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Brussels, Belgium
G-L-O-R-I-A
the Magna Carta
the Tehran Conference
Alexander the Great
the University of North Carolina
aluminum
Delft
Neck
Campobello
Masterchef
The Divine Comedy
seclorum
Guantanamo
a zip line
neon
magnesium
a clock
Jesus

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Friday, May 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My mind wandered on the UCLA clue. What did it say?

Thought for sure I'd skunk the Virgil category, but just the opposite. Blanking on Divine Comedy was all that kept me from a 5/5 there.

Guantanamo never would've come to me in a million years.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My mind wandered on the UCLA clue. What did it say?
All I saw was 'blah blah John Wooden', and that was all I needed.

No idea why it took so long to figure out what this clue was asking me for, or why 1959 distracted me so much, but I (figuratively) arrived at Gitmo with time to spare.

See folks? Wagering! What the hell was she thinking!?

Welcome to the TOC Joel.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri May 25, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I mulled over FJ for most of the think time, coming up with the correct response near the end.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

"$7000 is a nice round number. Let's get that much and just see what happens."

Only of my favorite FJs of the year.

Joel continues to win. His knowledge base isn't terrifying and he got lucky in at least a couple of ways today, but then Jason Keller was lucky to make it past his early games, so who is counting?

Kryptos18
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Kryptos18 »

Did I misread the question, or did they say that aluminum (the correct element in the ore Bauxite) was the most common element in the Earth's crust? When that's clearly oxygen.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Kryptos18 wrote:Did I misread the question, or did they say that aluminum (the correct element in the ore Bauxite) was the most common element in the Earth's crust? When that's clearly oxygen.
Yes, you misread the question. Oxygen is not a metal. At least not the last time I checked.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

ACW

Post by ACW »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My mind wandered on the UCLA clue. What did it say?

Thought for sure I'd skunk the Virgil category, but just the opposite. Blanking on Divine Comedy was all that kept me from a 5/5 there.

Guantanamo never would've come to me in a million years.
Got Aeneid, guessed Jesus, got love and seclorum (thank you 5 years of Latin in middle and high school), said Inferno.
Gitmo was instaget.

Kryptos, you misread it; don't think oxygen's a metal :P :lol:

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another good board.

I got FJ on a lucky guess. The only other things that I could really think of were the Pentagon and the White House.

This game made me less optimistic about Joel's chances in the next ToC. His opponents in this game weren't the sharpest, so I don't think that he would fare any better against Jason Keller, Dave Leach, or Dan McShane. Still, congrats to Joel on getting the ToC spot! We were way overdue for a 5x champion.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

StevenH wrote:This was another good board.

I got FJ on a lucky guess. The only other things that I could really think of were the Pentagon and the White House.

This game made me less optimistic about Joel's chances in the next ToC. His opponents in this game weren't the sharpest, so I don't think that he would fare any better against Jason Keller, Dave Leach, or Dan McShane. Still, congrats to Joel on getting the ToC spot! We were way overdue for a 5x champion.
Who said anything about Dan McShane being in the ToC? Doesn't he have just 3 wins and I don't think his total was that great.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:"$7000 is a nice round number. Let's get that much and just see what happens."

Only of my favorite FJs of the year.

Joel continues to win. His knowledge base isn't terrifying and he got lucky in at least a couple of ways today, but then Jason Keller was lucky to make it past his early games, so who is counting?
He had third locked out and didn't bet to keep her shut out.

I knew the bit about Castro not cashing our checks, so that was all I needed.

I also burned in Hell on the Dante clue, after Jesus saving me earlier in the category.

spelling category was a lot easier than I expected.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

CyrusChan wrote:
StevenH wrote:This was another good board.

Who said anything about Dan McShane being in the ToC? Doesn't he have just 3 wins and I don't think his total was that great.
Dan won 4 games, and I meant among people who would qualify for the next ToC if it were held right now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:spelling category was a lot easier than I expected.
Not to mention more fun.

For some reason, my mind went straight to Gitmo on the fourth word ("lease"), and was cemented there with super crazy glue on the second half of the clue (as it couldn't be anything else - I understand those who missed it missing it, but if you know the fact about Castro refusing to cash the cheques (I think he did mistakenly cash one early on, which gave the US government reason to keep sending them). I was thinking if Castro really wanted to do damage tot he US like he says, he'd cash all the uncashed cheques at once, bankrupting the US, but I did the math, and realized that $216,505 won't have much of a dent on the American economy ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:spelling category was a lot easier than I expected.
Not to mention more fun.

For some reason, my mind went straight to Gitmo on the fourth word ("lease"), and was cemented there with super crazy glue on the second half of the clue (as it couldn't be anything else - I understand those who missed it missing it, but if you know the fact about Castro refusing to cash the cheques (I think he did mistakenly cash one early on, which gave the US government reason to keep sending them). I was thinking if Castro really wanted to do damage tot he US like he says, he'd cash all the uncashed cheques at once, bankrupting the US, but I did the math, and realized that $216,505 won't have much of a dent on the American economy ...
Yep, the spelling category was fun. After the first one (and I figured out the category groove), I sang the remaining responses.

"Bauxite" was an automatic for me (thanks, Dad); I'm the son of a metalurgical engineer who spent his career at Reynolds Metals.

And FJ was an instaget. The "not cashing the check" thing was well-known even when I was in HS back in the 70s.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: And FJ was an instaget. The "not cashing the check" thing was well-known even when I was in HS back in the 70s.
I had never heard of that, but 1959 led me to the correct response.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Joel had been good enough to find the DDs in the Double Jeopardy! round he would have lost since I cannot imagine U of Heels or Aluminum stumping him. Instead Jim did the work to lead entering FJ and that aided Joel's victory. Of course Jennifer's wager played a part too.

Now Joel can show up for the next taping day with the wins and big total to put a scare into players who didn't see his games. If one of Joel's Monday opponents saw this game then Alexander the Great and Campobello were two that stood out as two Joel should know.

THERE'S SOMETHING ON THE AIR was great with Alcatraz, American Horror Story, Wipeout and Masterchef instead of the usual junky NBC sitcoms.

1959 saved me on the FJ clue. West Point went on the paper first just to have something as I was guessing a military place.

If a player had made their response Guantanamo Bay would that still have been accepted? I know this would have been negged:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: If a player had made their response Guantanamo Bay would that still have been accepted? I know this would have been negged:

http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Guantanamo/index.htm

I included Bay when writing down my imaginary question and since it part of the base's official name, then they would have to have accepted it. A better question is would they have taken Gitmo? I am surprised this one was so hard for so many people.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If you're in third and have to get it right to pass where the leader will fall with an incorrect response on the standard wager, bet it all! This episode joins the list of cautionary tales with that moral. Normally, it would have done the trick (either second place bets to keep her locked out, bets around everything, or shortsightedly bets to fall just above first), but Joel overwagered in the window to really make her wager hurt.

Just based on places the military has a lease on, I was at Gitmo, and 1959 really made it solid for me.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:A better question is would they have taken Gitmo?
Absolutely.