Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6389, 2012-05-31

CONTESTANTS
John Baker, a home inspector from Dixon, Illinois
Scotti Whitmire, a systems administrator from Knoxville, Tennessee
Richard Block, an editor and writer from Diamond Bar, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $17,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome again to our show. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the sports term "winning ugly". You know what it means. On Jeopardy! it means winning a game without getting the correct response in Final Jeopardy! and without earning a great deal of money, and that's the situation over the past two days for Richard. He's won less than $20,000 for 2 victories, but he knows full well that the most important thing is, "I won the game, and that means I get to play again and perhaps turn things around and win big." To do that today, he'll have to beat John and Scotti, our newcomers. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Our categories for the first round today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GILDED AGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"MIS"QUOTES (5/5)
FAST CARS (5/5)
CITY BY POPULATION (5/5)
TV SHOW HAIKU (5/5)
SHEEP (1/4) (Kelly: We've come to the Tobruk Sheep Station to find out what life is like for Australia's 100 million sheep and the people who work for them.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Richard: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Scotti: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Richard: $4,000
John: $1,200
Scotti: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Baker is a home inspector from Dixon, Illinois, and a mold inspector. That's gotten to be big business in the last few years, hasn't it?

John: Very big business, but a lot of people think they have mold.
Fortunately, only a few actually do.

Alex: And how do we deal with it, spray some Clorox on there?

John: I'd start with some boric acid.

Alex: Boric acid?

John: Yep.

Alex: Or fire usually does it, right?

John: That'll take care of it, too. [Chuckles]

Alex: Burn the place down.

Alex: Scotti Whitmire from Knoxville, Tennessee. I have a lot of old electronic equipment and games at my house. I don't throw anything away. I understand you are similar in that respect.

Scotti: Yes, um, I collect classic video games. I have, uh, close to a thousand, including over 400 cartridges for the Atari 2600, my favorite system.

Alex: The Atari 2600?

Scotti: Yes.

Alex: When did they manufacture that baby?

Scotti: Uh, from--beginning in 1977, and new cartridges were made all the way to 1990.

Alex: Aha. All righty.

Alex: Richard Block from Diamond Bar, California, is our champion. What's this about you and your sister in the mountains of Japan?

Richard: Oh, God. It was her 18th birthday, and we got lost, and I had to lead us on a hike at night in the dark with no lights and press us--we had to press up against the cliff whenever we saw headlights coming around the bend, and to top it off, we didn't even get dinner... [Chuckles] So...

Alex: Scary stuff.

Richard: The next night we made up for it and went out for something really nice.

Alex: I hope you--you did some good work for your sister, because I'd be upset with you.

Richard: After almost getting--yeah.

Alex: Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Richard had $3,600, Scotti had $2,800, and John was at $4,800. John wagered $1,800.

THE GILDED AGE $1000: Gilded Age advocates of the theory called "Social" this -ism applauded the "survival of the fittest"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE GILDED AGE $200: The era known as "The Gilded Age" got its name from an 1873 novel by Charles Dudley Warner & this humorist
(Alex: And the humorist was his good friend Mark Twain.)

SHEEP $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reads from the Tobruk Sheep Station in Australia.) A human & dogs gathering a group of sheep together are said to be doing this, also a verb used for gathering military personnel together for duty
(Richard: What is herding?)
(Alex: We don't herd our military.)

SHEEP $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reads from the Tobruk Sheep Station in Australia.) A mythic figure in Australia is the person with this job of driving animals across vast distances; he was expected to move sheep 6 miles a day, which may not seem like much, until you try it

SHEEP $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reads from the Tobruk Sheep Station in Australia.) Australia's wool industry, producing one-fourth of the world's supply, began about 200 years ago with the importing of this breed of sheep, originally from Spain

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $6,600
Richard: $3,600
Scotti: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GILDED AGED (4/4)
SINGERS PORTRAYED ON FILM (4/5)
DISCOVERING JAPAN (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHERE'D YA GET THAT TITLE? (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RHYME CLUB (0/0)
LANGUAGE LAB (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scotti: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Richard: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 5 W (including 1 DD)
John: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 23
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scotti snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Richard had $2,000, Scotti had $4,400, and John was at $7,400. Scotti wagered $2,000.

WHERE'D YA GET THAT TITLE? $2000: Lorraine Hansberry's title "A Raisin in the Sun" comes from a line in the poem "Harlem" by this man
(Scotti: Who is Dunbar?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Richard who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Richard had $2,800, Scotti had $3,600, and John was at $4,600. Richard wagered $1,200.

DISCOVERING JAPAN $1600: Though he didn't make it all the way to "Cipango", he reported it had gold in the greatest abundance
(Richard: Hmm. Who is... I have no idea. [Chuckles])
(Alex: I betcha when I tell you, you'll...)
(Richard: I bet I will slap my forehead.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHERE'D YA GET THAT TITLE? $1600: This James Jones novel set before Pearl Harbor gets its title from Kipling: "Gentlemen rankers out on the spree, damned..."

LANGUAGE LAB $800: In linguistics a primary medium lets you acquire a mother tongue; there are 2--speech & this non-verbal method

LANGUAGE LAB $1600: Pinyin is the official method of doing this with Mandarin, transcribing its sounds in Roman characters
(Richard: What is writing it?)
(John: What is... transcribing? Oh--)

SINGERS PORTRAYED ON FILM $2000: "At last", Beyonce in "Cadillac Records"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Richard: $7,600
John: $5,800
Scotti: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AIRLINE HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Richard: Wager $4,001 to cover John.
John: You ought to wager to cover Scotti, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $5,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,800 (to shut out Scotti) or less than $2,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Scotti). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Richard.
Scotti: Consider risking between $1,001 and $1,200. This will top a $0 wager by John while still beating Richard on the Triple Stumper (should Richard wager to cover John's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Clipper Goodwill, a Boeing 727, took this airline's last passengers from Barbados to Miami December 4, 1991

FINAL SCORES
Scotti: $4,800 - $2,801 = $1,999 (What is Pan A Eastern?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $5,800 + $5,500 = $11,300 (What is Pan Am) (New champion: $11,300)
Richard: $7,600 - $4,001 = $3,599 (What is Caribbean Air?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Oh, Scotti's changing her mind at the last moment. The "Clipper" fleet always associated with which airline?)
(Alex: [Revealing Scotti's response] You wrote down... "What is Eastern?" You crossed that out, and we can't accept what you were trying to write. It's illegible.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Richard: $8,800, 16 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Scotti: $6,800, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
John: $5,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $20,600

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 17/59 = .288
Richard: 16/59 = .271
Scotti: 10/59 = .169
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAST CARS $200: Look at that! The 4-door Panamera from this automaker still goes from zero to 60 in 6 seconds or less

FAST CARS $600: This Dodge seen here is named for a snake, perhaps because it strikes just as fast

FAST CARS $1000: The 1951 Hudson Hornet was the inspiration for this character, last name "Hudson", voiced by Paul Newman in "Cars"

SHEEP $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reads from the Tobruk Sheep Station in Australia.) Sheep are usually shorn once a year in this season, before the new lambs are born; in Australia, the new season officially begins September 1st

CITY BY POPULATION $800: A Brazilian giant in the world's top 10:
11 million
(John: What is Rio de Janeiro?)

CITY BY POPULATION $1000: Near the mouth of the Yangtze:
Near 20 million
(John: What is Hong Kong?)

TV SHOW HAIKU $600: We can rebuild him /
We have the technology /
Wow! Austin's powers!
(Scotti: What is The Bionic Man?)

THE GILDED AGE $800: "Let Us Prey", an 1871 cartoon by this man, depicted Boss Tweed & his associates as vultures

LANGUAGE LAB $400: Galician, spoken in northwestern Spain, is similar to this language spoken just over the border
(Scotti: What is French?)
(Richard: What is Basque?)

WHERE'D YA GET THAT TITLE? $1200: Thackeray got "Vanity Fair" from a place in this author's "Pilgrim's Progress"
(Richard: Who was Hogarth?)

LANGUAGE LAB $1200: The Navajo language has a "fourth" this in which speakers can address someone without naming him
(John: What is gender?)

SINGERS PORTRAYED ON FILM $1200: Andrew Schofield (not Gary Oldman) as this lead vocalist in "Sid & Nancy"
(Scotti: Who is Sid Vicious?)

THE GILDED AGED $800: 89-year-old Liliane Bettencourt's $23.5 billion springs from this hair-color company, because she's worth it
(Richard: Uh, what is Clairol?)
(Alex: That's it, with less than a minute to go.)

THE GILDED AGED $2000: Forbes ranks this "skinny" 72-year-old Mexican telecom king as the world's richest person
(Richard: Who is Slim... um, Carlos--Slim Carlos--[*]?)

LANGUAGE LAB $2000: Sometimes called "Little Russian", it was banned in Russia from 1876 to 1905
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Darwinism
Mark Twain
mustering
drover
Merino
Langston Hughes
Marco Polo
From Here to Eternity
signing
transliterating
Etta James
Pan Am
Porsche
the Viper
Doc Hudson
spring
São Paulo
Shanghai
The Six Million Dollar Man
(Thomas) Nast
Portuguese
(John) Bunyan
person
Johnny Rotten
L'Oreal
Carlos Slim
Ukrainian
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

11 right today. I capped off May with an instaget FJ.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Airline History
Clipper Goodwill, a Boeing 727, took this airline's last passengers from Barbados to Miami December 4, 1991.
Spoiler
What is Pan-Am? Scotti crossed out Eastern and started to write Pan-Am, but it was incomplete; Richard said Caribbean Air.
Richard Block: $7,600-$4,001=$3,599
John Baker: $5,800+$5,500=$11,300...now a 1-day champion with $11,300
Scotti Whitmire: $4,800-$2,801=$1,999
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ah, yes .... good old Caribbean Air ... (still exists as of today -- and is only 6 years old).

I had Pan Am from the word Clipper.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well this was a rough episode. Back to the trend of boards a little on the weird side plus contestants not able to negotiate it all. I actually didn't think the questions were that hard, either, just a little weird. Asking for a country that borders Spain, for example - you know, for $400, you COULD narrow it down for the folks.

I was happy, no THRILLED, to see that last Clue Crew category go unrevealed. Just what a painful, awful experience for all involved, including the sheep.

I wasn't 100% sure Clipper = Pan Am, but the flight - involving Barbados and Miami - confirmed it over TWA in my mind. TWA IIRC was bought out a few years later. Eastern did collapse around the same time as Pan Am.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

It tends to help when you did some reading on airlines the other day. When Final was revealed I immediately told myself Pan Am or TWA. I remembered reading that TWA (and in retrospect still have faint memories of the announcement on TV) was gone in 2001. Said Pan-Am then as my answer, my family couldn't come up with anything better. (Had a hard time not screaming YEAH in mid air with a fistpump because I got it right.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

How did Marco Polo, Etta James and Langston Hughes (when spotted poet and Harlem, no less) get past these guys? Trash collectors had a field day today.

Then again, 'Clipper' didn't ring a bell (and I watched the TV show...), so maybe I should cut them some slack. Near-instaget nonetheless.

ETA:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:When Final was revealed I immediately told myself Pan Am or TWA. I remembered reading that TWA (and in retrospect still have faint memories of the announcement on TV) was gone in 2001.
2001? Hm, didn't realize it's been gone that long. I eliminated it because I remembered that Flight 800 was in 1996.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Well this was a rough episode. Back to the trend of boards a little on the weird side plus contestants not able to negotiate it all. I actually didn't think the questions were that hard, either, just a little weird. Asking for a country that borders Spain, for example - you know, for $400, you COULD narrow it down for the folks.
Which they did by saying it was spoken in NW Spain.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

xxaaaxx wrote: ETA:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:When Final was revealed I immediately told myself Pan Am or TWA. I remembered reading that TWA (and in retrospect still have faint memories of the announcement on TV) was gone in 2001.
2001? Hm, didn't realize it's been gone that long. I eliminated it because I remembered that Flight 800 was in 1996.
9 years and 364 days (including 1992 and 1996 LYs) after Pan-Am (December 4, 1991 & December 1, 2001)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Well this was a rough episode. Back to the trend of boards a little on the weird side plus contestants not able to negotiate it all. I actually didn't think the questions were that hard, either, just a little weird. Asking for a country that borders Spain, for example - you know, for $400, you COULD narrow it down for the folks.
Which they did by saying it was spoken in NW Spain.
Right next to Basquestan.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Rhyme Club I suspect would have been words that rhyme with Club, since they never got to it and Alex never explained it. Scotti only wrote Pan A for FJ!, so even if they deemed it legible, it would have been a neg.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So what did everyone think of Alex letting him switch Slim Carlos to Carlos Slim? I knew his name was Slim, but thought it was his first name and did not know his last. Strangely, if he had never come up with what he first thought was his last name, he'd still have been correct.

On FJ, I precalled a defunct airline. First thought of Pan Am and wrote that down. Then I scribbled down Eastern and threw in Braniff for good measure. Decided
Pan Am would be more likely the one they were going for and stuck with my first thought. I never heard of the Clipper nor did i know when those airlines shut down, but lucked out.

I was rooting for Scotti. I used to live in Knoxville and when she said she collected Atari 2600 games I was hooked. At least she did not lose because she did not finish her response. I did not like her FJ wager, however. She bet to where she'd tie the guy who won if they both missed it and he made the MSB. But that score was less than Michael's if he makes the MSB, which he did. Her best bet is $1,199, which beats Michael by a buck if he offers a tie.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Absolutely inexcusable FJ miss on my part, as I couldn't even come up with any possible answer in 30 seconds, leaving what is ? on my paper. Considering how many times I've seen Catch Me if You Can and the prominence of Pan Am in that film, I have no idea how I failed to think of it in time. There is even a scene at the Miami airport. As to why I didn't write anything down, every single airline I thought of had a sports venue (mostly NBA stadiums) named for it, and I knew that that trend didn't become hugely popular until after 1991, so pretty much every single airline that I named in 30 seconds I was fairly certain existed past that year. Continental, American Airlines, America West, Delta, United, TWA, US Air...I'm pretty sure that at least one or two of those is no longer in existence, but I couldn't think of a single one that could have ended as early as 1991.

I was puzzled that we were able to get through as many as 29 clues in the J! round while leaving 7 unrevealed in DJ! During the Power Players games they often followed the reverse pattern, cutting J! off early to (in my opinion) make up for the lengthier introductions and interviews, leaving enough time left that they were usually able to get through most of the clues in DJ! I'm not sure if there were a lot more misses and triple stumpers in DJ tonight, but I definitely would have been in favor of leaving a few of those sheep clues on the board in the first round if it would have left some time to at least get a peek at some of the Rhyme Club clues in DJ!
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sheep I can handle.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:I was rooting for Scotti. I used to live in Knoxville and when she said she collected Atari 2600 games I was hooked. At least she did not lose because she did not finish her response. I did not like her FJ wager, however. She bet to where she'd tie the guy who won if they both missed it and he made the MSB. But that score was less than Michael's if he makes the MSB, which he did. Her best bet is $1,199, which beats Michael by a buck if he offers a tie.
While you are correct that she ended up at the score John would fall to with the MSB and a miss, I don't believe that was her intention. Her wager of $2,801 would have put her $1 ahead of the leader's pre-FJ score, not an uncommon practice for trailing players, but not a particularly useful one. I agree that she would have been better served to wager $1,200 (or $1,199 like you suggest) in order to win on a triple stumper. (By the way, you did what I did yesterday, inventing a new name for one of the players in the game. In this case, there was no Michael. Richard was the defending champion who held the lead entering FJ!)
Bamaman wrote:So what did everyone think of Alex letting him switch Slim Carlos to Carlos Slim? I knew his name was Slim, but thought it was his first name and did not know his last. Strangely, if he had never come up with what he first thought was his last name, he'd still have been correct.
I thought it was fine, since he basically never stopped talking in order to give Alex a chance to rule, and I believe he got his final correct answer out before the time's up lights had run out. As far as I know, past history suggests that you are allowed to correct yourself as long as you do it before Alex rules on your response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:Continental, American Airlines, America West, Delta, United, TWA, US Air...I'm pretty sure that at least one or two of those is no longer in existence
For the record, 3 of them no longer exist: Continental (now part of United), America West (now part of US Air), and TWA. American will likely soon be the 4th.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Boards did seem rocky today. The only $200 I got was in "Mis"quote — Twain seemed undervalued, I know nothing about Porsches, I can never remember which of the Twin Cities is the capital, blanked on Ally McBeal, and my mind wandered on the Sheep clue.

By the by, that mustering/herding clue was NASTY neg bait.

How did we manage to get only 23 clues in DJ!? They weren't going slow, and I've seen them clear the board with more TSes than that.

Not a clue on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:By the by, that mustering/herding clue was NASTY neg bait.
It wasn't neg bait in the slightest. Even if you've never been in the military, 'herding' is clearly wrong.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I know nothing about Porsches
The only thing you need to know about Porsches is that they should NEVER have 4 doors or the engine in the front.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges: Is "Romanization" acceptable for "transliterating" in "Language Lab" $1600? (Seems to be even more specifically correct, given the "Roman alphabet" part of the clue).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012