Tuesday, June 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:"Whiskey in the Jar" was orignally a Thin Lizzy song, also covered live by U2 (with a rare vocal from drummer Larry Mullen, Jr.)

Metallica's version is the best known of them all, however.
You are obviously not Irish.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Confession: I don't know what King series FJ referred to. Any help appreciated.

I agree that Kathy's FJ wager was a head scratcher, as $3 more would insulate her as long as she answered correctly, but her actual bet exposed her to being caught from behind. What's up with that?!

And St. Pat?! Once again the writers expect contestants to know all these arcana about Christianity, such as when is St. Patrick's Day. WTF?!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

John Boy wrote:And St. Pat?! Once again the writers expect contestants to know all these arcana about Christianity, such as when is St. Patrick's Day. WTF?!
If you don't know when St. Patrick's day is, how do you know when to wear green? (And avoid getting unwelcome pinches.)
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

John Boy wrote:Confession: I don't know what King series FJ referred to. Any help appreciated.

I agree that Kathy's FJ wager was a head scratcher, as $3 more would insulate her as long as she answered correctly, but her actual bet exposed her to being caught from behind. What's up with that?!

And St. Pat?! Once again the writers expect contestants to know all these arcana about Christianity, such as when is St. Patrick's Day. WTF?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_T ... 8series%29

For some reason, I got The Dark Tower mixed up with His Dark Materials, so I thought this was Philip Pullman. Whoops.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy wrote:Confession: I don't know what King series FJ referred to. Any help appreciated.
His Dark Tower series (fantasy, not horror). So the clue was a gimme if you know anything about Stephen King.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
His Dark Tower series (fantasy, not horror). So the clue was a gimme if you know anything about Stephen King.
Umm... I know he's from Maine, and that he wrote a number of novels, some of which I could name.

But, alas, I guess that's not anything, seeing as I had no clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Dark Tower is Stephen King for even BIGGER nerds.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

jeff6286 wrote:For those still trying to nail down who Aaron reminds them of, here's a great one from a poster at the TWOP board: "The newly defeated champ speaks like NHL commissioner Bettman. But unlike Bettman, he doesn't make me want to punch him. I liked him a lot, but I do like the new champ as well."

Congratulations Kathy on the win and the big payday, and to Aaron on a very impressive 3-day run. Nice job too, Aaron, of not taking personally any of the comments posters have made about your appearance and/or personality.
A person over at TWOP also mentioned (South Park creator) Trey Parker, which is one I hadn't heard before, but I can totally see it.
images.jpg.jpeg
images.jpg.jpeg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
I really enjoyed all the "who do I look like?" suggestions, I'll be sharing them with my friends on Facebook. And nothing else that was said bothered me. This is a good group, which is why I registered here right after my tapings. I'm not an every day poster, but I'll be around here.

Good luck tonight Kathy! (I didn't watch her show taping, so I don't know what happened other than who the challengers will be.)
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

An alternative response for FJ might have been Gordon Dickson, based on his Childe Cycle. (Although I wouldn't have gotten this.)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

zakharov wrote:Dark Tower is Stephen King for even BIGGER nerds.
That perhaps explains why I only know of the series from Sporcle. I think it came up on a number of Lit quizzes there.
buffalocell
Contributor

Post by buffalocell »

Johnblue wrote:I haven't read Stephen King since Night Shit as I find him dull so I guessed George RR Martin since they seem to be using more recent writers for their clues lately.
Was that the one about wicked dysentery? King's written so many I can never keep them straight.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I have to say, a great game to watch and a tough break for Aaron.

Motley Fools SHOULD not have been accepted as it's singular or just fool.com.
Tough to lose on blanking the DD and losing like that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Onairb wrote:I wouldn't have given it to her; it reminds me of people who say 'Wal Marts' or 'Krogers' or 'JC Penneys'.
"JC Penney's" is at least understandable, since someone named J.C. Penney did start the store, and at one time the stores did say "Penney's" on the sign. Likewise with Meijer (formerly "Meijer's Thrifty Acres") here in Michigan. Kroger's is also understandable, as Kroger is the surname of the founder.

However, I will never understand why so many people say Walmart's, Kmart's, etc.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Onairb wrote:I wouldn't have given it to her; it reminds me of people who say 'Wal Marts' or 'Krogers' or 'JC Penneys'.
"JC Penney's" is at least understandable, since someone named J.C. Penney did start the store, and at one time the stores did say "Penney's" on the sign. Likewise with Meijer (formerly "Meijer's Thrifty Acres") here in Michigan. Kroger's is also understandable, as Kroger is the surname of the founder.

However, I will never understand why so many people say Walmart's, Kmart's, etc.
Not to keep on this tangent, but similar to people here saying Jewel's or ALDI's, with neither one named after anybody. (And then too many people in New England say Christmas Tree Shop when it's Shops).

But at some point it becomes almost trivial, and so as much as this sort of thing bugs me, I can see the justification for accepting Fools.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

buffalocell wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I haven't read Stephen King since Night Shit as I find him dull so I guessed George RR Martin since they seem to be using more recent writers for their clues lately.
Was that the one about wicked dysentery? King's written so many I can never keep them straight.

No, short stories. I tried his novels years ago but they bored me. No offense to his fans here.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Johnblue wrote:
buffalocell wrote:

No, short stories. I tried his novels years ago but they bored me. No offense to his fans here.
That was also the title of a great 1984 song by the Commodes...
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This was a very good game to watch, two strong competitors battling to the wire. Unfortunate that one had to lose.
gloriaclemente wrote: We still haven't seen the show yet here, it's the start of the second half of the basketball game.
The Supersonics-Heat series, right?
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
debramc wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How the heck was that St. Patrick clue a stand-and-stare?
I suspect they didn't quite get it was just asking them for the date. I also thought for a few seconds that they wanted some other feast day (St Somebody's day), but in the comfort of my living-room sofa was able to shake it off and realize "Oh, they just want my sister's birthday." (Poor thing, we made her shamrock cakes every year until she was about 13 and finally said she'd like something else on her cake, please no shamrocks ever again!)
Please tell me that her name isn't Pat as well!
Um, no. My mom has a twin named Pat, and it's unlikely she'd ever name a child that... (I never even thought about how much more awful that would've been. My own birthday is December 12, and I always had people try to commiserate with how awful it must be to have a birthday so close to Christmas, blah, blah, blah - it's 2 weeks away! What kind of awful people would cram them together? But then we crammed St Patrick's Day onto my little sister forever...)

Kathy/gloriaclemente, I just figured out you were the same person! Good job, in spite of the 3$ wagering mistake! Personally I was surprised at the TS on Miranda, as it was one of the 4 I got in that category, and I am usually fairly bad at Shakespeare.

Didn't the Motley Fool guys used to refer to themselves in plural on their radio show? (Ok, it's been a decade or so - don't even know if they still have a show...) I've never seen their website, but I was pretty sure the print column said "Motley Fool", yet it sounded perfectly fine to me in plural. I guess if the clue specified the website they probably should have required singular, but maybe they also should have rewritten the question to avoid this issue.

And I'm switching my vote on who Aaron looks like to Trey Parker. That's almost dead-on!
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

harrumph wrote: The Supersonics-Heat series, right?
Oh, please! You don't have to rub it in! David Stern = :twisted:
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I went with Tolkien for FJ.