FJs for the 6/11/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/11/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in "an upper room" (Check the box for either credited response or if you feel your guess would have ended up being credited as well)
78%
His multi-novel series is based on Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
56%
19th c. reports on horse races used this 2-word term to mean horses that were in the field but didn't finish high
54%
The bestselling album of all time by a female is a 20 million seller by this woman who started singing at age 8 in Ontario
24%
This nation independent since 1960 is the largest island in the world with French as one of its official languages
71%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
GEOGRAPHY BY THE BOOK $1200: Sherwood Anderson made his reputation with "Winesburg," this state
66%
SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $600: Othello calls her an "excellent wretch!"
73%
THE CRUSADES $2000: In 1190 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, known as this for his red beard, went crusading but drowned in a Turkish river
59%
I guessed "dark horse" for the Wednesday FJ clue.
32%
I guessed Celine Dion for the Thursday FJ clue.
47%

Total votes: 98

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/11/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EVENTS IN THE BIBLE

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in "an upper room"

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

6/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His multi-novel series is based on Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICAL TERMS

6/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
19th c. reports on horse races used this 2-word term to mean horses that were in the field but didn't finish high

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. TOP-SELLING ALBUMS

6/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The bestselling album of all time by a female is a 20 million seller by this woman who started singing at age 8 in Ontario

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This nation independent since 1960 is the largest island in the world with French as one of its official languages

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Last Supper (or Pentecost)
Stephen King
Also Rans
Shania Twain
Madagascar
The players were 7/14 (50.00%) with a 2-2-1-0-2 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

GEOGRAPHY BY THE BOOK $1200: Sherwood Anderson made his reputation with "Winesburg," this state

SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $600: Othello calls her an "excellent wretch!"

THE CRUSADES $2000: In 1190 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, known as this for his red beard, went crusading but drowned in a Turkish river

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Ohio
Desdemona
Barbarossa
TenPoundHammer

Re: FJs for the 6/11/12 week

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Said Last Supper on Monday, Celine Dion on Thursday. No guesses the other 3 days.

Knew Desdemona but clammed. Other two were NHOI.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dark horse
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:? :( :mrgreen:

Didn't even notice my 5-fer status until I tallied them up for this poll! Yay me! (Still waiting for the elusive 8-fer though)

Wednesday was a last minute guess (traded it for something else, don't recall what, though.), at least 25 seconds in.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Monday - the Last Supper.

Tuesday -- instaget for a huge Stephen King fan like me (although none of the books in the Dark Tower series is among the 30 or so of King's novels that I've read).

Wednesday -- I considered "also ran" but went with "dark horse," and felt I was led astray by the category, as I couldn't recall "also ran" being used in reference to political candidates. In the cold light of day, "also ran" made much more sense given the wording of the clue.

Thursday -- I was able to avoid Celine Dion due to the inclusion of Ontario in the clue; but I never would have gotten to Shania Twain.

Friday -- the fact that the whole island had to be a single nation ruled out Haiti. So then my thinking was that the correct answer was likely to be part of Africa -- anything in the Caribbean was likely to be too small. Madagascar? That's a pretty big island. I didn't know if it had a French heritage (the name of the capital, Antananarivo, didn't really help me there); but if it was a former French colony, it had to be the correct answer. So I locked in Madagascar, although not with 100% confidence.

Barbarossa seemed overvalued at 2K.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mon - Immaculate conception. (How many different ways is that wrong? ;) )
Wed - Not entirely sure, think I went with 'place horse' but that denotes 3rd... *shrug*
Thu - Dion.

Knew Barbarossa meant 'red beard' but thought Barbarossa was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayreddin_Barbarossa
Silly me for assuming the same nickname couldn't apply to two people, especially when it refers to their freakin red beard... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
no
yes

Monday: I had no idea and guessed the birth of Jesus.
Tuesday: I thought that the clue was referring to the author of the Dark Tower series but couldn't remember who that was, so I guessed Tolkien.
Wednesday: I don't remember what I ended up guessing (maybe "front-runner") but it wasn't "dark horse," as that seemed too obvious. I don't think that I had ever heard the term "also ran" before.
Thursday: I guessed Celine Dion but didn't think that she was right. The only other possibilities that I had were Alanis Morissette and Anne Murray. I would have only thought of Shania Twain if the clue mentioned that she was a (sometimes) country singer.
Friday: I was saved from being shut out with what was basically an instant get.

The FJ clues have not been kind to me lately.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

:( :oops: :(

:arrow: :oops:

ouch week!

shoulda got Barbarossa. As mentioned in the game thread, got Madagascar with a lengthened buzzer.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Honestly forget what I said Monday but it wasn't either of the accepted answers. I got Wed & Fri. Worst week lately but I did get all but one in last night's DJ & that was after coming home from a fun night in the Big Apple with some adult beverages consumed. Maybe I'll tipple before my next tryout!
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: (Last Supper) :mrgreen: :( :( :oops:
2/5 is in the wrong direction after 5 3/5 weeks in a row...Pop music followed by geography is my personal nightmare...
Yes on dark horse and Celine...should have gotten Madagascar...
Winesburg, Ohio is a great book...
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Pentecost on Monday, dark horse on Wednesday (though I knew it was wrong).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On Monday, I quickly guessed Last Supper, having heard or read that it was on the second floor. I knew a few things about Pentecost, but what it is, exactly, was not among them.

On Wednesday, also(-)ran seemed the likeliest answer, all considered, though I did share the commonly expressed reservations about it. I am pretty sure dark horse has come up in FJ before (not that that is a disqualifier).
I'm smart and I want respect.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday -- said "Last Supper! No wait! The coming of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles!" (Close enough for this clue)
Tuesday -- JRR T (Why wasn't this included in the poll?)
Wednesday -- Dark Horse after dismissing also-ran
Thursday -- Why did so many people ignore the same key word in the clue?
Friday -- No guess. Dismissed Haiti, but nothing else would come.

A very rare 2/3 on the 'others'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote: Thursday -- Why did so many people ignore the same key word in the clue?
"Singing"?

Anyway, I couldn't have guessed Twain if you spotted me 'Mark.' You want I should just have left it blank?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

Wow. I had a pretty good five days considering all the agita and controversy this week.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:D :( :( :D :D

Last Supper. Shania and Madagascar were pretty quick gets. Pretty much everything else felt gettable but just didn't come to me (cept Winesburg, never heard of it).
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

No guess on Monday. Was thinking of 'upper room' as a bedroom and was trying to come up with something that fit that parameter, would be in the Bible, and still okay to mention on Jeopardy! Couldn't put anything together in time.
Fell for Celine (Alanis occurred to me too, but Shania did not), then said Sri Lanka on Friday, thinking Ceylon might have had a French connection.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote: Thursday -- Why did so many people ignore the same key word in the clue?
"Singing"?
Oh, you are sooooo funny!
Volante wrote:Anyway, I couldn't have guessed Twain if you spotted me 'Mark.' You want I should just have left it blank?
Blank would have been better than as good as saying Celine when the key word referred to Canada.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:Anyway, I couldn't have guessed Twain if you spotted me 'Mark.' You want I should just have left it blank?
Blank would have been better than as good as saying Celine when the key word referred to Canada.

Brian
Which flies in the face of our repeated advice of "never leave FJ blank"