Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

debramc wrote:
davey wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Is it really that well known that mozzarella is traditionally made from buffalo milk? New to me.
Buffalo mozzarella is pretty common at hoity-toity food places...though if someone asked I would have guessed it was an American development, since I didn't know they had buffalo in Italy.
The "buffalo" mozzarella is made from are water buffalo. (Also pretty strange to imagine in Italy.) Our "buffalo" are bison, only found in N. America. And, most importantly, bison have tiny little teats (I just learned this about 2 weeks ago!) and even if they were tame would be verrry difficult to milk. So regardless where you are in the world, if it's a dairy product from "buffalo", it's water buffalo.

(Sincerely, your resident milk-product expert)
Someone's been watching Meet the Parents ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
debramc wrote:The "buffalo" mozzarella is made from are water buffalo. (Also pretty strange to imagine in Italy.) Our "buffalo" are bison, only found in N. America. And, most importantly, bison have tiny little teats (I just learned this about 2 weeks ago!) and even if they were tame would be verrry difficult to milk. So regardless where you are in the world, if it's a dairy product from "buffalo", it's water buffalo.

(Sincerely, your resident milk-product expert)
Someone's been watching Meet the Parents ...
Actually... you can theoretically milk just about any mammal (I think there are a few that don't actually have any kind of teat/nipple structure, their milk just oozes out and the offspring lick it off - I don't have time to check on this at the moment, but I think it's just the egg-layers.) I have myself milked a cat - used to work for a vet and occasionally we'd spay one that was further along in pregnancy than they'd ordinarily feel comfortable spaying (because you can't always tell how far they are), and once one was actually starting to lactate and the vet showed us all. But it's not like you could get any practical, helpful quantity, even if you're just trying to help out little runt kitten... (litter of 30? that's the funny part!)
BTW, it is entirely possible to toilet-train cats, even the flushing. Not common, but doable. Most of Jinxy's antics are pretty reasonable. In fact, Jinxy is probably the most realistic (and my favorite) character in those movies, though I enjoyed them a lot.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

debramc wrote:(I think there are a few that don't actually have any kind of teat/nipple structure, their milk just oozes out and the offspring lick it off - I don't have time to check on this at the moment, but I think it's just the egg-layers.)
Indeed, that's true of just the two egg-laying mammals (platypus and echidna).