Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nserven »

dhkendall wrote:At least I can take comfort in the fact that I seem to be the only (or nearly the only) boardie where "Kursk" was an instaget. I remember the story.
Remembered the story, just not the name. I was thinking -sk and kept wanting to say "Minsk."

Madame Butterfly for FJ. I had heard of Turandot, but not only did I not know the title character was Chinese, I have always pronounced the title as though it were French (like "depot").

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote:
Fishercat wrote:
And should I ever be so intelligent and lucky to turn down Jeopardy a few times over not having an anecdote, wowza.
Can that story possibly be true? If it is, it can only demonstrate her cold feet, not the lack of sparkle of her anecdotes...
And obviously her "story" went over like gangbusters with those of us who are very happy with our anecdotes but have yet to get The Call even once . . . :evil:

Of course, now we'll never know what other stories were on Alex's card for her . . .

I'd heard of Turandot, but it's been a long time since I studied opera and I'd forgotten that plotline. I'd like to think that if I was in Culver City I would have refreshed myself on such a basic J! category like opera, and would have solved this FJ. However, just watching on TV, I couldn't do any better than the butterfly lady for my guess.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DBear »

Another one for Madame Butterfly. Always thought Turandot was a male character, so that was off the radar. But how does no one guess source when spotted 'of the Nile'?

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

nserven wrote: Madame Butterfly for FJ. I had heard of Turandot, but not only did I not know the title character was Chinese, I have always pronounced the title as though it were French (like "depot").
So did the author of the opera.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did know Butterfly was Japan, but nothing else. Strangely, during the commercial, the name Puccini came to mind, but I still had never heard of who they were talking about.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote:No chance on Turandot. All I had was Madame Butterfly. I should've just left it blank since I knew it was wrong...
I'm right with you, man. I was pretty sure M. Butterfly was Japanese, not Chinese, but had nothing else. Even though opera is not the dismal category for me that it is for many, I didn't know enough about Turandot to come up with it. When AT mentioned Puccini I was sure I had stumbled onto a right answer, but not to be.

Truly, what was Susan thinking? Tied going into FJ??? Pretty much have to bet it all, don't you? I mean, how would she have felt if she had answered correctly, then lost by six grand because the champ bet correctly and she didn't?

Or, if it was a truly horrid category, perhaps a $0 bet would serve her better. But that in-between, doesn't-accomplish-a-thing bet was the pits.

Great get for Stephanie, along with the correct wager, and she ends up with a very fine second win. Nicely done, champ!

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

DBear wrote:Another one for Madame Butterfly. Always thought Turandot was a male character, so that was off the radar. But how does no one guess source when spotted 'of the Nile'?
The same way no one guessed 'inauguration', 'commencement', or 'initiation'; underthinking brought about by overthinking.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Actually the worse part of Susan's bet was that she didn't even cover third. She was basically announcing, "I have a little less than half confidence in this category, which is to say I shouldn't bet at all since I am more likely to miss than to get, and there's a good chance my co-leader will bet it all, making any non-zero bet by me irrelevant. But I will bet a little anyway, because like I said I might sorta know opera and $5000 seems like a good measure of what I am willing to chance knowing. And then there's third place, who was strong enough to be leader 59 questions in, but I will just not pay attention to him, either, because like I said I kinda know opera and maybe it's Porgy and Bess which I saw last year."

Opera, seems to me, a very clear know it or don't category, and if you know it, put it all in, but if you don't, don't. And since most don't know opera, it's smarter to just sit than to make some wishy washy middle bet that likely won't work out. Make your opponents beat you if you really don't know the category.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

davey wrote:
Fishercat wrote:
And should I ever be so intelligent and lucky to turn down Jeopardy a few times over not having an anecdote, wowza.
Can that story possibly be true? If it is, it can only demonstrate her cold feet, not the lack of sparkle of her anecdotes...
Did she really say this? I'll make up anecdotes if I get the call. Whatever they want!

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Onairb wrote:
DBear wrote:Another one for Madame Butterfly. Always thought Turandot was a male character, so that was off the radar. But how does no one guess source when spotted 'of the Nile'?
The same way no one guessed 'inauguration', 'commencement', or 'initiation'; underthinking brought about by overthinking.
My problem with 'commencement' was "Is...isn't that called graduation?..." Then they gave the answer and I figured out what they meant by the category. :roll:

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:No chance on Turandot. All I had was Madame Butterfly. I should've just left it blank since I knew it was wrong...
Ah, the TPH gambit ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I knew Madame Butterfly was wrong too, since it's the inspiration for Miss Saigon, which I've seen and know doesn't fit the clue. But I've never heard of Turandot either. So... meh.

Volante

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Ah, the TPH gambit ...
bpmod gambit!

mbclev

Post by mbclev »

Forgive me for asking, but why does "bricks" not rhyme with "quick"? To me, it should rhyme. Also, for that Guggenheim museum clue, hopefully they would have accepted Bilbao, Spain in addition to New York, because there is also a Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mbclev wrote:Forgive me for asking, but why does "bricks" not rhyme with "quick"? To me, it should rhyme.
Because of the extra sound at the end of "bricks"????
mbclev wrote:Also, for that Guggenheim museum clue, hopefully they would have accepted Bilbao, Spain in addition to New York, because there is also a Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao? If I remember the clue right, the full name (Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum) was given ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Ah, the TPH gambit ...
bpmod gambit!
Yes, the difference between me and TPH is I only leave it blank if I know for absolutely certain that any response I could come up with is wrong. That doesn't happen very often.

But i seems that you would disagree.

So, let me ask you (knowing as you did that M. Butterfly was wrong): Would leaving it blank decrease your chances of getting it correct? I, incidentally, put down M. Butterfly because I did not know it ws wrong.

I have never advocated leaving it blank because you are unsure, or because you are 99.9% sure.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Austin Powers wrote:
davey wrote:
Fishercat wrote:
Did she really say this? I'll make up anecdotes if I get the call. Whatever they want!

They seem to be desperate to get certain people on the show. Not sure why since she wasn't too swift & her FJ strategy was poor.

I remembered the Kursk because it was such a tragedy and my brother-in-law possibly worked on the recovery.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
mbclev wrote:Forgive me for asking, but why does "bricks" not rhyme with "quick"? To me, it should rhyme.
Because of the extra sound at the end of "bricks"????
I'd like to add that they've been consistent in ruling against people responding to Rhyme Time (or Homophonic Pairs) clues, when they put an S sound at the end of one word (making it plural and/or possessive) without putting one at the end of the other. For example, if a Rhyme Time clue said "canine journal," and a contestant said "What is a dog's log?" or "What are dog logs?" he would be ruled incorrect. But "dog log" and "dog's/dogs' logs" would be acceptable.

Madame Butterfly is a century-old opera about a Japanese woman; M. Butterfly is a quarter-century-old play about a Chinese man posing as a woman.

mbclev

Post by mbclev »

dhkendall wrote:Because of the extra sound at the end of "bricks"????
To me, "bricks" sounds too similar to "quick" to not be considered a rhyme. (I am not interested in poetry, basically.)
dhkendall wrote:The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao? If I remember the clue right, the full name (Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum) was given ...
Yes, there is a Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. The building was designed by architect Frank Gehry, who also designed the Weatherhead School of Management building at Case Western Reserve University here in Cleveland.

Volante

Post by Volante »

mbclev wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Because of the extra sound at the end of "bricks"????
To me, "bricks" sounds too similar to "quick" to not be considered a rhyme. (I am not interested in poetry, basically.)
dhkendall wrote:The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao? If I remember the clue right, the full name (Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum) was given ...
Yes, there is a Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. The building was designed by architect Frank Gehry, who also designed the Weatherhead School of Management building at Case Western Reserve University here in Cleveland.
1. does "cats" rhyme with "hat"?

2. There is no "Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain." The museum itself does not say it's the "Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum", it calls itself the "Guggenheim Museum Bilbao."
http://www.guggenheim-bilbao.es/seccion ... ?idioma=en

Yes, "Solomon R." makes a BIG difference and yes, that's probably why they explicitly included it in the clue.