Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

goforthetie wrote:I don't think it's a horrible clue but it certainly could have been more precise.
You left something off that helped pin it down: it starts with P and is 8 letters long. That certainly limits the possibilities and adds to its preciseness.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Don't know how many of you are on Twitter, but Laura found my tweets about her (along with those from a lot of other people) and was retweeting them to her followers yesterday. I sent her a link to the this place; we'll see if she follows up.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Paucle wrote:
goforthetie wrote:I don't think it's a horrible clue but it certainly could have been more precise.
You left something off that helped pin it down: it starts with P and is 8 letters long. That certainly limits the possibilities and adds to its preciseness.
It limits the possibilities in that it makes "parallel" one of the more plausible answers. It doesn't mean that the clue itself is very precise. If the category were "5-letter words with a p and two z's" and the clue were "a square made from olives" the only plausible answer would be "pizza" but the clue would still be pretty badly written, no?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nevermind ... it didn't go to the end for me the last time I watched it.

Oh ... and my apologies for having the wrong kind of krete earlier.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

stevo4212 wrote:Would that explain why we had to know a minor album by the Dave Matthews Band from almost 20 years ago? After all, it is their first album. Plus, the band had other numbered songs.
We didn't have to know the album; they gave that to us. We had to know the band from the album title. And considering it was their breakout album (after a live album and EP), and that the clue was worth $2,000, it wasn't as tough as you make it sound. (Plus that's a pretty non-generic title, such that I'd think those who've encountered it would be able to name the band from it.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:On a list of bands, I doubt some that showed up are even in the top 100, (by any measure you choose, what is 38 Special?) Yet, the books asked about were uber-famous. Would you say there's a difficulty gap? Or, whats wrong with my mind, being unable to remember anything about popular music, lol? I guess I need to memorize all top 40 hits or something. That's a gargantuan undertaking if ever I've heard of one. […]Or, is it fair to say that Jeopardy rarely asks about songs outside the top 10?
Wiki says 38 Special had 9 top 40 hits between 1980 and 1990, the highest being "Second Chance" at #6 in 1989. I know them only because Donnie Van Zant and his brother, Johnny, briefly performed in a country-rock duo called — you guessed it — Montgomery Gentry. :D

As for your latter question, I know they had a FJ! not too long ago about "Centerfield" by John Fogerty, which only got to #44.
Let's not forget that they asked about Thursday by Jim Croce which I can't find any evidence of having charted at all.

And I've never heard of Second Chance. And also, surprisingly enough, I don't have any .38 Special in my collection.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

dhkendall wrote:
StevenH wrote:That's only the second time that I have ever seen Alex skip over a contestant in the interview segment, except the other time that I saw it happen it was the contestant at podium 1 who impressed everyone, and he skipped both of the other contestants.
If by "impressed everyone" you mean "kept on talking and didn't know when to shut up, despite Alex's repeated attempts to move on, and finally, with comic indigination, gave up and let her continue talking. (Fortunately, the other two were co-returning champs (one of which due to a very infamous win the day before, with the person he bested being brought back as well due to the controversial nature of the win.)

Game in question (the "one interview" one) is here, the chatterbox is her.)
Sorry, I didn't remember it that well! And I didn't realize it was four years ago...I would have guessed that the game that I was referring to aired in 2010. Time flies.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jeff6286 wrote:...
Tracey Rhys: $1,200+41,000=$2,200
Typo alert.
TenPoundHammer wrote:...Surprised that a.) Hitchhiker's Guide was a TS, and b.) they didn't sound the beeps right before AJ rang in like that.

Hmm. Let's start near the back of the alphabet. Got nothing for Z, Y, X. Vietnamese. Urdu. Turkish… Spanish? Gotta be Spanish, since I can't imagine one of the "big six" being something uncommon. Yay for FJ! clues that actually give me something to go on as far as reasoning out the answer...
I'll fess up. I knew it was Adams but wasn't sure which book.

And, by the way, good approach to FJ! While you couldn't be 100% certain of the response, you went with your most reasonable choice instead of leaving it blank. (For all the **** you take when you tell us you clammed on FJ!, I figure an "atta boy" is called for.)
hbomb1947 wrote:I had never heard of Quikrete before (us city folk don't use such products), so I had to wait until that product was named in this game thread to find out what the poor goat had ingested (I replayed her interview on my DVR recording, but although I heard the sounds, I couldn't recognize anything I'd ever heard of that comes in 60 and 80 pound sizes). Then I had to google Quikrete to find out what it actually is...
I'm an urbanite who has used the product before, but I was certain that I had misheard it. The goat ate what??? That's gotta be a hard way to go.
zakharov wrote:
miggydub wrote:Great game!

But sorry, Alex, Guns n Roses is NOT a good guess for 38 Special!
I had never heard of that band in my life. :(
The clue did mention something about the song not reaching number 1 with a bullet. I'll credit the contestant with recognizing "bullet" as a TOM. I saw that the "30 Rocks" condition hadn't been met and got to .38 Special. I know I'm dating myself for saying this, but I have CD's from both bands.
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The 38 Special clue was what I call a dagger stumper when no players get a clue that makes me feel old. Hard to believe the song is 30 years old now.
Tell me about it. They actually sang that song at our Grad Night at Disney World (also appearing: The Greg Kihn Band and Night Ranger).
Mark - I already figured you were old. E-gator - I had you pegged as being younger for some reason. I guess we're all in the same demographic boat.
goforthetie wrote:
Volante wrote: What would side-by-side lines look like? Something like this I'd imagine:

Why are we fixated on lines? All that talking about lines proves is that two things that are side by side might be parallel. But I have a book and a water bottle on my desk, sitting side by side, but I certainly wouldn't call them parallel. It's only in a very specific context - lines and line-shaped objects - that side-by-side implies parallel. That context was not specified in the clue, and, even in that context, the two terms still aren't perfectly synonymous - 40th Street and 90th Street are parallel but not side-by-side. (Similarly, parallel processing is concurrent but can be done by processors that are not physically near each other.)

I don't think it's a horrible clue but it certainly could have been more precise.
Yes, why are we fixated on lines? I didn't hesitate on "parallel" since it describes two series of events or systems running simultaneously, but independently.
alietr wrote:Nevermind ... it didn't go to the end for me the last time I watched it.

Oh ... and my apologies for having the wrong kind of krete earlier.
Don't worry. We won't tell anyone of your error. We're diskrete!
OCSam
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Abel Wingnut wrote:
econgator wrote:
Abel Wingnut wrote:Was anyone else peeved that 'parallels' was the answer to 'Side by side' in the first round? Parallel lines, by definition, are are never side by side. That's the whole point!
Pretty sure that *is* the definition of parallel.
Parallel lines never touch. They can never be side by side, adjacent, abutting, etc.

I guess your definition of side-by-side and mine aren't the same. What would side-by-side lines look like?
I guess they ARE different. You can certainly walk down the street "side by side" with another person without touching. And your paths would be parallel. Why would you think "parallel" means "touching?"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

zakharov wrote:The money line was "Alex, you're being insensitive!"
It may have been a terrifically funny line (I thought so) but I thought it came perilously close to the line on "contradicting" Alex, and therefore predicted that she would be doomed by the J! gods to lose the game.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:
It may have been a terrifically funny line (I thought so) but I thought it came perilously close to the line on "contradicting" Alex, and therefore predicted that she would be doomed by the J! gods to lose the game.
I really thought (and hoped) the gods would make an exception for this one.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote:
But it was parallel to that line, and didn't actually touch it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

At least he didn't say "Insensitive? Can you give me a concrete example?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The posts here about the band have used .38 Special and 38 Special. No one wants to try Thirty-Eight Special? Is one more correct than the other? I'm not going to dig out an old cassette just to check, but my Billboard book does not use the period.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

hbomb1947 wrote:
John Boy wrote:
But it was parallel to that line, and didn't actually touch it.
OK, I think we can let this one go now. Somewhere there must be a dead horse in need of a beating....

:D
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

marpocky wrote:Anybody else think Tracy Morgan shouldn't have been accepted for Tracy Jordan? Only one of them is an actor on TGS and had the relevant novelty hit.
Yes, I was surprised they accepted that. Equally surprised they (initially) gave a BMS on the Thai pepper question.
goforthetie wrote:I said pairwise, for the record, which isn't perfect either but has about as much going for it.
I said "paired up." No idea if that would have been accepted, but iirc the category didn't require single words.
Woppy T wrote:Also, on "palomino," when Alex said, "yeah we'll accept that," what did they want?
I think it was because her response was given very close to the buzzer, and the judges signaled to Alex that it was given in time.
Last edited by Magna on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:The posts here about the band have used .38 Special and 38 Special. No one wants to try Thirty-Eight Special? Is one more correct than the other? I'm not going to dig out an old cassette just to check, but my Billboard book does not use the period.
I've said before that I don't follow Billboard, and most of the music I love and know most about never made the charts.

So, a little research and what did I find? The band never used the period that I can find... and... wait for it...

On their album Rock & Roll Strategy, they called themselves...

Thirty Eight Special

Brian

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Memo from the J board:

Thanks a lot for not picking me in ELECTION YEAR BEFORE & AFTER:

Sincerely,

Michele Bachman Turner Overdrive
This also came in:

Thanks a lot for not picking me in ELECTION YEAR BEFORE & AFTER:

It really wan't that good a clue anyway.

Sincerely,

Ron Paul Bunyan
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

miggydub wrote:Regarding FJ, what about Esperanto. I know it's way out of the alphabetically-last running, but not even a mention? Is it a dead language?
It's not one of the UN's 6 official languages.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

stevo4212 wrote:Would that explain why we had to know a minor album by the Dave Matthews Band from almost 20 years ago? After all, it is their first album. Plus, the band had other numbered songs.
What do you mean by "minor" album? It had 3 top 40 singles. Does "minor" here just mean "I've never heard of it"?