Bravo, agefen!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Bravo, agefen!

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote:I'm open to all suggestions on that one. I'm assuming it will improve, but would like to push it in that direction.
I don't have time to personally follow through on these just now, but here are some approaches:

- Sprinkle the words "Jeopardy" "board" "forum" and any other similar keywords into posts/titles, but only in a natural context, i.e. as you would normally chat, not by arbitrarily plunking the words anywhere.
- Mention the forum/board and a link to the main page on other chat sites and comment pages.

I don't know whether phpBB offers any specific hints, but search through their forums and other documentation. If there are ways to alter the metatags, URL naming, etc. Non-rhetorical question: Does the highlighted "jboard" in the existing URL structure -- e.g. http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/..... come from a name that was specifically chosen when the board was set up? If so, it would be better for SEO* if that name were "jeopardy-board" instead; also jeopardyboard.tv or jeopardy-board.tv are both better than jboard.tv. Note that if you Google "jboard" this board already shows up on the first results page, but when Googling "jeopardy board" this board is nowhere to be found.

- Here's a link to a phpBB search for "seo": http://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=seo
- Knowledge base: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/
- General documentation: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

* If you're not familiar with the term, SEO stands for "search engine optimization," which is an industry standard for what we're discussing here.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Thanks for all the tips related to this Jeopardy board, RandyG. Would there be SEO value in purchasing the domain names jeopardyboard.tv and/or jeopardy-board.tv and simply redirecting them to jboard.tv? If so, I'm sure we could take up a collection to help cover the minimal cost for domain registration.

(And for that matter, I hope whoever is bankrolling this Jeopardy message board will feel free to make available a way for others to participate financially in keeping this site running for however long we need it. I suspect there are many here on this Jeopardy forum who would gladly chip in a few dollars.)
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

I second everything RandyG said. Some other tips: the sentence "this forum is a place to discuss and comment on the television game show Jeopardy!" would be better after the subtitle "A board for fans of the Jeopardy! television show." That way, it will be on every page of the forum.

Also, the choice of the word "board" isn't the best as board has another meaning in the J! universe, one that Alex uses quite often. e.g.: Searches related to jeopardy board
jeopardy board template
jeopardy template
blank jeopardy board
jeopardy game board
jeopardy board powerpoint
jeopardy board font
tsa jeopardy board
etc.

I think the use of "forum" or even "discussion board" would be better than just board.

Good incoming links are the number one way to boost a site's rankings. Currently google is only picking up The Jeopardy Fan's blog as linking to this site: http://www.google.com/search?q=link%3Ajboard.tv
As incoming links are added to this site, the ranking with improve. If you have a blog, twitter, public facebook wall posts, etc. , then you can link to this forum as well. Make sure your link is accompanied with a sentence describing why you like this Jeopardy! forum (probably because it's the only one around :)

One last thing, compared to other sites, this site seems to load slowly for me. That will hurt the Google rankings as well as they do take site and page load times into consideration in their ranking formulae. Hope this helps!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've already put this in the main page of index.php:

<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="description" content="JBoard board for discussion of the Jeopardy game show.">
<meta name="keywords" content="Jeopardy, game, show, discussion, forum, champions">

I was assuming that would help the Googles of the world. Should it also be somewhere on the page with the main forum index as well? I haven't investigated all of the SEO aspects mentioned by Randy above, but I'll certainly see what I can do about improving its visibility. As for a faster server, I really have done this on the cheap since I had no idea if anyone would even be interested. Plus I'm concerned (so to speak) that Sony's board will return and this will turn into a vast digital wasteland, so I wasn't expecting to put too many resources into it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LUCY! I'M HOOOOME!!

(Was I missed?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)