Bravo, agefen!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Bravo, agefen!

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, that's me. I had grown to dislike my old screen name, so I took this chance to change it. I was scoring my Alabama themed TD game when the board went kaput, Vanya was running the current game and we had a whose Special about to go live.

I agree the chances of the sony boards returning are slim, and even if they do, I imagine our old posts (including all the TD archives and other game psots and game threads) are gone forever.

Thanks to whoever put the link to this place on the archive page.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:Thanks to whoever put the link to this place on the archive page.
For that, we need a "Bravo, Robert K S" who also helped me with this Board and is, as usual, a dedicated Jeoperson.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bravo K S, then. Now that his post count has been reduced from 5,000 to zero, maybe he'll start posting again.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Bamaman wrote:Yes, that's me. I had grown to dislike my old screen name, so I took this chance to change it. I was scoring my Alabama themed TD game when the board went kaput, Vanya was running the current game and we had a whose Special about to go live.

I agree the chances of the sony boards returning are slim, and even if they do, I imagine our old posts (including all the TD archives and other game psots and game threads) are gone forever.

Thanks to whoever put the link to this place on the archive page.
Ah, that's right. I'm really bummed about the Vanya game not finishing, because if I remember right I had some really good answers for those.

Yeah, if it's taken this long for them to get it back up, it's not looking good. If the archives are indeed gone forever if it ever comes back, we might as well stay here, I think. It wouldn't be worth it to go back to an empty Sony board.

(That, and Sony kind of ticked me off when they shut down Rashad's YouTube page last week...)
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

Why hello boys and girls.

Back in action, I do owe a lot of you all an apology for abandoning the site during that mega Who's Special I was supposed to be running awhile back, I had a lot of school work to do to finish my diploma.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I agree the chances of the sony boards returning are slim, and even if they do, I imagine our old posts (including all the TD archives and other game psots and game threads) are gone forever.
I'm still betting it will be back along with the content, when - not sure. My bet is before the start of the SHC, but I'm willing to be wrong here. I'm more certain the content will be back, but I'm not making that a True Daily Double bet.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

barandall800 wrote:Yeah, if it's taken this long for them to get it back up, it's not looking good. If the archives are indeed gone forever if it ever comes back, we might as well stay here, I think. It wouldn't be worth it to go back to an empty Sony board.

(That, and Sony kind of ticked me off when they shut down Rashad's YouTube page last week...)
The #1 thing that Sony had going for it, though, was the visibility it had from being linked to jeopardy.com - they'll never do that for us even if Sony acknoledges the old board is not coming back. Having that link I think brought in a lot of us, as well as many people who have been on the show who first appear around the time of their airing and provide valuable behind-the-scenes information that I and several others love.

That being said, though, that is, off the top of my head, the only thing that Sony does that we either don't do exactly the same or better.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

earendel

Post by earendel »

dhkendall wrote:
barandall800 wrote:Yeah, if it's taken this long for them to get it back up, it's not looking good. If the archives are indeed gone forever if it ever comes back, we might as well stay here, I think. It wouldn't be worth it to go back to an empty Sony board.

The #1 thing that Sony had going for it, though, was the visibility it had from being linked to jeopardy.com - they'll never do that for us even if Sony acknoledges the old board is not coming back. Having that link I think brought in a lot of us, as well as many people who have been on the show who first appear around the time of their airing and provide valuable behind-the-scenes information that I and several others love.

That being said, though, that is, off the top of my head, the only thing that Sony does that we either don't do exactly the same or better.
Those of us who were on the BAM Bored when it was still officially sponsored by ABC know how it feels to be suddenly cut adrift. We managed to hang on thanks to someone at an affiliate being willing to host us, but eventually we had to fend for ourselves. We still have people showing up now and then (usually because of a Google search) for information, and those who appear on the show are encouraged to give us their behind-the-scenes stories. Sadly we don't have as many of those as we used to.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Wahoooo I finally found you people! I knew the Boardies couldn't just be gone forever. Thanks for getting this going. Life feels normal again :D
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

dhkendall wrote:I'm still betting it will be back along with the content, when - not sure. My bet is before the start of the SHC, but I'm willing to be wrong here. I'm more certain the content will be back, but I'm not making that a True Daily Double bet.
Do you have some inside info there, or is this just a hunch?

Do any of the prior contestants here have some connections at Sony that might be able to give them an unofficial read on whether the Sony board will be returning? Perhaps someone here will be auditioning and/or taping soon and could squeeze a little info out of TPTB?

And if the old board will not be restored, it would be nice if we could get a copy of some of the most useful past threads - e.g. the Pavlov thread, that really long thread about Shore's Conjecture, other threads about wagering strategy, TD archive, wildcard cutoffs, ToC standings, etc.
alamble

Post by alamble »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I'm still betting it will be back along with the content, when - not sure. My bet is before the start of the SHC, but I'm willing to be wrong here. I'm more certain the content will be back, but I'm not making that a True Daily Double bet.

Do any of the prior contestants here have some connections at Sony that might be able to give them an unofficial read on whether the Sony board will be returning? Perhaps someone here will be auditioning and/or taping soon and could squeeze a little info out of TPTB?

And if the old board will not be restored, it would be nice if we could get a copy of some of the most useful past threads - e.g. the Pavlov thread, that really long thread about Shore's Conjecture, other threads about wagering strategy, TD archive, wildcard cutoffs, ToC standings, etc.
I sincerely doubt that any of the Contestant Coordinators - awesome and all-knowing folks that they are - would have any info, official or otherwise, about the state of the board, given that the shutdown was due to a repeat instance of a major security breach. Sony's got bigger fish to fry than restoring the board, I'm afraid.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Bamaman wrote:I agree the chances of the sony boards returning are slim, and even if they do, I imagine our old posts (including all the TD archives and other game psots and game threads) are gone forever.
BigDaddyJ wrote:And if the old board will not be restored, it would be nice if we could get a copy of some of the most useful past threads - e.g. the Pavlov thread, that really long thread about Shore's Conjecture, other threads about wagering strategy, TD archive, wildcard cutoffs, ToC standings, etc.
I can tell now that my initial post in this thread was probably unclear and for that I apologize.
To be clear: The script I linked to will download any and all threads that still exist in Google's cache.

e.g. threads on wagering: http://www.google.com/search?q=wagering ... ctures.com
threads on march 2011 recaps: http://www.google.com/search?q=march+20 ... ctures.com
FJs for the week: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22FJs+f ... ctures.com
etc.

Any other possible reasons besides my initial post being unclear? the script too daunting? people don't want to save the cached history? Just wondering...
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

RCraig wrote:Any other possible reasons besides my initial post being unclear? the script too daunting? people don't want to save the cached history? Just wondering...
I understood from your original post that you were suggesting a method by which content from the old board might be extracted from Google's cache. It sounded as if there might be some technical details to work through, and I didn't take the time to see if I could actually do it. Assuming it would be impractical for someone to retrieve everything, I was suggesting a few items that might be most worth the effort, and hoping somebody else might take the initiative. So, I guess I was just being lazy. :?

But thanks for posting the info, Roger. Do you happen to know how long Google will keep this cached data available? If our window of opportunity is limited, perhaps we should organize an effort to systematically retrieve some or all of the old board content and post it here (or elsewhere) in some useful format. I'd be happy to help.

The contents of that old board contain much Jeopardy wisdom and experience. It would be a shame to lose it all permanently.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was thinking about the wild card thread today. The guy who does it only seems to post during tournaments. I hope he has the info stored elsewhere. He likely does, given that he said he was putting together some kind of spreadsheet about it. I hope he finds this place and can recreate the thread here. It would be a good opportunity for him to tidy up the lists.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Bamaman wrote:I was thinking about the wild card thread today.
It looks like you missed this post: http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... 7&p=74#p74
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

lisa0012 wrote:Wahoooo I finally found you people! I knew the Boardies couldn't just be gone forever. Thanks for getting this going. Life feels normal again :D
Just a side note to your post, Lisa...Best. Avatar. EVER. :D
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
RCraig wrote:Any other possible reasons besides my initial post being unclear? the script too daunting? people don't want to save the cached history? Just wondering...
I understood from your original post that you were suggesting a method by which content from the old board might be extracted from Google's cache. It sounded as if there might be some technical details to work through, and I didn't take the time to see if I could actually do it. Assuming it would be impractical for someone to retrieve everything, I was suggesting a few items that might be most worth the effort, and hoping somebody else might take the initiative. So, I guess I was just being lazy. :?

But thanks for posting the info, Roger. Do you happen to know how long Google will keep this cached data available? If our window of opportunity is limited, perhaps we should organize an effort to systematically retrieve some or all of the old board content and post it here (or elsewhere) in some useful format. I'd be happy to help.

The contents of that old board contain much Jeopardy wisdom and experience. It would be a shame to lose it all permanently.
From what I've seen on my Google searches of old threads, a lot of the more recent ones aren't accessible anymore (the cache brought up only the 'maintenance' notice that Sony has up on the entire site)...so if someone wants to archive them that way, they might want to act quick. My guess is that only threads that haven't been updated in a bit are probably easily available via the cache.

(ETA: Of course, I could be mistaken...)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

barandall800 wrote:Just a side note to your post, Lisa...Best. Avatar. EVER. :D
Thanks, was time for a new avatar, and she was leftover from my HP TD :)
Unfortunately, I am moving the weekend the movie comes out and it will be a pain getting to the theater, and may be there alone, but I will figure it out!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
No inside info, don't even have any links to inside info people (haven't even been on the show or even called to an audition) - aside from the usual super-knowledgeable boardies of course, if I want inside info, I ask them to ask *their* contacts first. :) (And since they are boardies, if I did that I wouldn't post what they told me, but I'd let them do it.)

So, it's just a hunch, but my hunch comes from the fact that our posts, I assume, were in Sony's servers, I don't see our posts standing in the way of getting Sony Corporate back up to operating standard, necessitating their deletion.
Last edited by dhkendall on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't find it now, but I read an article recently saying something to the effect of Sony had reactivated its Playstation network in Japan, which was the final piece of its recovery from the security breach. It didn't sound definitive, but it didn't sound promising.