Tuesday, July 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

So, what will today's FJ be? I'm guessing, "She stands on a balcony and wonders, 'Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou, Romeo?' "
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

'80s Sitcom Characters
Creator Gary David Goldberg wrote this Republican character as unsympathetic, but the actor made him lovable.
Spoiler
Who is Alex P. Keaton? Prudence said Alex from Family Ties; Zack said Michael J. Fox.
Andy Baggarly: $10,600+$9,801=$20,401...now a 3-day champion with $60,402
Zack Knowles: $10,200-$10,200=$0
Prudence Plunkett: $3,200-$3,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Well, there was a Space Firsts category...but no Sally Ride.

Looking forward to discussion on FJ! Should Prudence have been counted correct? Personally, I think they should have expected the middle initial too.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

20 today. 14 right round one and 6 right in DJ.

Even though he is more associated with the 1970s, I went with Archie Bunker since there was Archie Bunker's Place.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

lisa0012 wrote:Well, there was a Space Firsts category...but no Sally Ride.

Looking forward to discussion on FJ! Should Prudence have been counted correct? Personally, I think they should have expected the middle initial too.

Yes, I would have counted her correct. Monty Hall of Split Second would have.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

First of all, sloppiest DJ! I've seen in a long time. I count 11 TSes.

Anagrammed Leaders was a total 0/5 for me. I could've gotten Hugo Chavez but I was blanking on his first name.

Odd Job kept me from the run in Double Letters. Not sure if James Bond movies would be my thing.

Brooklyn is a girl's name now, huh? Someone should tell Greg Weisman that.

Totally blanked on Buenos Aires. Let's see what totally obvious thing I draw a blank on tomorrow, since I'm on such a freaking roll in that department.

Why do I always get Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton mixed up when they're not even from the same country?

Spelled Like a Place was an easy 5/5.

Lots of clams for me tonight: Mars, Night, Brooklyn, Gordon Brown, Liberty Valance, Rolling Stones and Entwistle. Regarding that last one, I guess I really should learn who's Who.

I've never seen Family Ties, so I was totally lost on this FJ! I know literally nothing about the series, so "Republican" meant nothing to me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm not sure how her response is incorrect.

Never heard of a "slush fund" in that context, but I did get the easy Lach Trash on "taken aback".
TenPoundHammer wrote:Brooklyn is a girl's name now, huh? Someone should tell Greg Weisman that.
About the only famous one would be Brooklyn Decker.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I think Prudence's FJ response should have been judged correct. It's not as though she had simply written "Who is Alex?", which would not have been specific enough. By identifying the show with which he was associated, her response was fairly specific (in my opinion). At least the outcome of the game did not hinge on the judges' call.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It cost her $1,000 she would have won thanks to the middle guy's suicide wager.

My original precall was Heathcliff Huxtable, then switched to Alex Keaton and was glad to see the clue.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well this episode was rough. On one hand, Isabel Peron is harder than the show usually is. On the other hand, the contestants couldn't guess Berlusconi, Gordon Brown, or Stephen Harper, so of course someone will ring in and say "Eva Peron" when the question actually tells you it is not Eva Peron. Just one of those episodes, we've been fortunate not to have one for some time.

I don't know what to make of a Space Firsts category that has Gagarin as the $1000. Really? Shouldn't you be putting something really tough, like Neil Armstrong, there? And could they have given any more TOMs on the Jude question? Maybe "rhymes with dude?" Just a weird J round. The cheetah hasn't been in India for many years, so that $200 question was a little misleading, though they told you it was a fast cat and all.

I didn't get "taken aback," but it makes sense. The rest had etymologies I was familiar with, though the "cut of the jib" etymology has a whiff of crypto-anti-Semitism to it IIRC.

Entwhistle and Cooper are both more difficult than Coldplay, probably should have switched that category up a bit.

I think the lady should have gotten marked right on FJ, and truthfully I don't get the rationale. And keep in mind I'm the guy who said that "Barber of Seville" was not a correct response to "Figaro." She gave the character's name, plus other accurate info. If that's not right, why is "Alex Keaton," when we know it is Alex P. Keaton? It really shouldn't matter, as her bet was just needless, but I think she is owed $1000.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

And George Jefferson(who was a character from circa 1972-1985, more associated with the 70s than 80s I guess, though The Jeffersons ran 1975-85 and of course he debuted on All in the Family) nor Deacon Ernest Frye(Amen, which ran 1986-91) was the subject of the FJ! on 80s Sitcom Characters, in the wake of Sherman Hemsley's death, either.
legendneverdies

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:

Yes, I would have counted her correct. Monty Hall of Split Second would have.
But Bob Synes, producer of the early 70s Tom Kennedy run of SPlit Second, was apparently as anal, or more anal, about being exact on names and titles than J! is. Those over 40 and those who know game shows well enough will recognize that show or show title and have heard of the format, but MOnty Hall, who owned the show along with his partner Stefan Hatos, hosted the 1986-87 revival of Split Second taped in Toronto but seen on some stations in the US. Stu Billett who produces the People's Court with the late Ralph Edwards' production company picked up the rights to the show(he was a producer on the 70s Split Second I think), and did a pilot for it in 1990 hosted by Robb Weller.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I also think that the female contestant's FJ response should have been accepted, unless they were told beforehand that the last name was required.

I liked this board, especially the album art category. I guessed Alice Cooper on a total wag, but I once again could not pull Annie Leibovitz's name. It is always on the tip of my tongue.

I guessed correctly on FJ but was expecting a clue on The Jeffersons.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:

I'm not sure how her response is incorrect.
It's incorrect because it's incomplete. They're very consistent about that fact, at the very least. And no, the middle initial wouldn't have been necessary - Alex's middle initial didn't become a running gag for at least a couple of seasons.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alamble wrote:It's incorrect because it's incomplete. They're very consistent about that fact, at the very least.
Not on fictional names, they're not. Very often only the first name is accepted.
I'm of StevenH's school: they must've been told that first and last name would be required. (But then that would make the "Of Family Ties" addendum pointless, I guess.)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Paucle wrote:
alamble wrote:It's incorrect because it's incomplete. They're very consistent about that fact, at the very least.
Not on fictional names, they're not. Very often only the first name is accepted.
I'm of StevenH's school: they must've been told that first and last name would be required. (But then that would make the "Of Family Ties" addendum pointless, I guess.)
Yeah fictional characters don't play by the same rules. Juliet or Juliet Capulet is perfectly acceptable to say.
legendneverdies

StevenH wrote:I also think that the female contestant's FJ response should have been accepted, unless they were told beforehand that the last name was required.

I liked this board, especially the album art category. I guessed Alice Cooper on a total wag, but I once again could not pull Annie Leibovitz's name. It is always on the tip of my tongue.

I guessed correctly on FJ but was expecting a clue on The Jeffersons.
And someone got negged at least once for saying LeiboWITZ instead of LeiboVITZ
alamble

Post by alamble »

Paucle wrote:
There's no way they would have accepted either Alex or Keaton; therefore, her answer is incomplete and it's wrong.