Wednesday, July 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

New Olympic Sports
This sport introduced in Summer 2000 plays out over a raised area 16 1/2 feet long & 9 1/2 feet wide.
Spoiler
What is Trampoline?
Sue Meloy: $15,200-$9,201=$5,999
Andy Baggarly: $12,200-$11,801=$399
Doug Thornton: $12,000+$10,000=$22,000...now a 1-day champion with $22,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was totally lost on that gas mask clue. Had no idea what could possibly filter out poison with charcoal, much less what thing with that description could possibly have "gas" in it.

"Gaslighting" — wow, you know you've hit on an obscurity when even Alex says he's never heard of it.

Arabic for $1200 also confused me since I was thinking it'd be a term that might relate to Tut's mom. I've honestly never heard "mummy" in a maternal fashion except when making bad puns.

Ran Nashville. Had a few other low-level gets that gave me a very healthy $23,000 Coryat.

Olympics? Yeah, I'm hosed. My joke answer was "43-Man Squamish". "Trampoline" is considered a freaking sport?!?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Olympics? Yeah, I'm hosed. My joke answer was "43-Man Squamish". "Trampoline" is considered a freaking sport?!?
I'm pretty much with you on that one. Trampoline? Really? Not if I had a month to come up with responses. I guessed Really-Big-Table Tennis.

Also, why do they refuse to BMS Cromwell?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

My dad and I had stand and stares (not something I like doing.) When trampoline was revealed as correct, I remembered that I saw a news piece of olympic trampoline sports. I immediately proceeded to slap myself in the face for that.

- Note, there are some Jerseyans who are going to be in the Olympics for it. So I know the sport, just didn't in final.

- We have our Linda Percy for the season, with only 2 games left of the main season.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My guess for FJ was beach volleyball. Trampoline is a sport?

I thought it was funny we had an unBMSed Cromwell when someone mentioned it in yesterday's game thread.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
"Gaslighting" — wow, you know you've hit on an obscurity when even Alex says he's never heard of it.

He'd have probably gotten the clue from the "Gas" in quotation marks and the Bergman/Boyer TOM, he's no doubt heard of the film. Steely Dan referenced the term in their 2000 song Gaslighting Abbie, as per Fikklefame.com
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's all perspective; I was amazed gaslighting was a SnS, let alone that Alex didn't know it.

Trampoline, huh? I went with Beach Volleyball just to have something even though the dimensions didn't seem nearly big enough.

That sure hurt Andy's TOC chances ...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I did horribly on this board. I thought that the clues were well written but the difficulty was all over the place. There were a lot of overvalued and undervalued clues.

I liked the drummers category in the J! round. I was disappointed that Green Day was a triple stumper, since "Longview" is on my favorite album of all time. But then they had to go and have a clue on Kings of Leon. Yuck.

The $1000 clue in the poetry category was interesting, since Spring and Winter had been mentioned in a previous clue. It was kind of a 1 in 2 guess, except that they probably wouldn't have accepted "Fall" for "Autumn."

I had no clue on FJ. I guessed arena football just so that I could have a guess. Add me to the "I didn't know that there is a sport called trampoline" crowd.

That "pollen" Daily Double was weird. I guess that the key was not to over think it. I was really rooting for Sue; she had a lot of good gets and recovered nicely after missing the "pollen" Daily Double.
Last edited by StevenH on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote:That sure hurt Andy's TOC chances ...
It would have been something if Andy had made the ToC. He had to get that last clue, a $2000 clue, in the DJ round of his first game to avoid being locked out. Then he had the single get on FJ in that game. I was thinking that it reminded me of Scott Renzoni.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:My guess for FJ was beach volleyball. Trampoline is a sport?

I thought it was funny we had an unBMSed Cromwell when someone mentioned it in yesterday's game thread.
I appreciated that mention yesterday, highlighted of course by Sage on the Hudson critiquing the grammar, as it made it an easy get for me that otherwise would not have been.

FJ was an instaget for me, but then sports and the Olympics are both in my wheelhouse. I believe it was MarkBarrett that asked yesterday when Andy was going to get a sports category, and here he gets one in FJ, where a correct response likely locks up a TOC berth, but he comes up empty.

I would have never imagined that people, including Alex, would think gaslight was an obscure term. I don't know where I first heard it, but it is a concept that I have seemingly always been aware of.

I found it surprising that they would have Autumn as a correct response in the $1,000 box of the Ode category, when Winter and Spring were both part of a previous clue in the same category. I took a stab and was rewarded with a correct guess, as I thought Autumn sounded a lot better than Summer or Fall with the partial title they gave.

That was quite the exciting finish to the game, as Sue made a fairly bold bet for the lead, missed it to fall behind by around $6K, and then immediately caught fire and surged into the lead. Then all 3 players volleyed back and forth over the final clues, with Doug misfiring on Figures of Speech, then Andy making the same mistake I did by guessing Isle of Wight, allowing Sue to hold the lead entering FJ. Naturally, it all ended up being completely meaningless since Doug had the sole get in FJ, but it was still fun to watch, and they even managed to sneak through all 30 clues in DJ.

*ETA* Thanks a lot, alietr and StevenH for beating me to most of the exact same points. Must...type...faster! :lol:
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Really bombed FJ. Hate it since I rocked much else, only to see that evaporate. I said beach volleyball but knew it was wrong and knew the key word was "raised."

Very very good episode. At first I begrudged the lady for going to the tiresome Clue Crew ramble but she cleared that column and caught FIRE! Quite a finish by all, and for Andy's sake I am glad that he missed FJ since missing the Isle of Man clue to take you out of the lead (had he got it) would have been rough.

I predicted the negs on Brigham Young and Cumberland River.

Two questions - Family Fun and Cedars of Lebanon - I guessed right but would not have buzzed on, assuming I wouldn't be playing on tilt.

Mostly very high quality questions in a range of areas, no obvious mystery TSs either. And I thought gaslight was very straightforward - I was expecting Alex to scornfully remark that no one knows their old movies.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

My guess was trampoline when the category was revealed. The year it was introduced a Canadian won gold, that's why I remember it. I didn't think it was way back in 2000, but went with it anyway. I could not think of anything else.

It sounded like Alex hadn't even heard of the movie. I've heard of the term, and the movie. It was one of my precalls to the category.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

As to TPH's (and possibly others') question of "Trampoline is a freaking sport?", it's not so much a sport in the sense of bigger, stronger, or faster like Track & Field or Swimming, but more in the vein of Figure Skating, Diving, or Gymnastics. It is actually under the Gymnastics umbrella, and is treated pretty similar to the balance beam, vault, or uneven bars, as contestants perform a routine and are given a score by a panel of judges based on how well they pull off their bounces, flips...and I have no idea what other things there are besides flips. More flips I suppose.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just love long winded Clue Crew clues in exotic locales just to answer us what its called when water washes away soil.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:I just love long winded Clue Crew clues in exotic locales just to answer us what its called when water washes away soil.
Good thing they told us the origin of the word erosion, or that one would have been really difficult. :roll:

I thought there were several clues tonight with TOMs that made them absurdly easy. Naturally I can't recall many of them, other than the Guinness clue, in the $800 box, with "Is that a record?", though that went completely over my head. It seems fairly uncommon to have a huge TOM like that in one of the two bottom rows on the board.
habbywall

Post by habbywall »

There is a kid in my marketing class that is this year and in '08 the US alternate for trampoline and I still didn't get it. :oops:
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I knew trampoline was an Olympic sport but it never came to mind in looking at the clue. I went with Judo just to have something to say.

A few years ago, a couple of dj's were discussing the addition of trampoline to the Olympics, and one of them said, "So now, things we do in our back yard are Olympic sports. I was hoping to go in 'swing set.' " :D

Does anyone else ever get tripped up on "Corazin" Aquino instead of Corazon?
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Shame on all four of them for never hearing of gaslighting.