Wednesday, July 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:This was a horribly-worded final. Trampoline isn't a sport in of itself. It's a discipline within the sport of gymnastics.

The Olympics operate under a 3-tiered system of "sport-discipline-event".
Sport: Gymnastics
Discipline: Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Rhythmic Gymnastics
Event: Artistic Gymnastics, Women's Individual All-Around.

In fact, it was worded to the point where the correct response isn't actually correct - there is no correct response to the clue, and I believe we need to see a returning contestant or two here!
FWIW, the NBC Olympics site lists Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Trampoline as three different sports.
Rex Kramer wrote:
alamble wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:I only got trampoline because I thought of it before I heard the question. I had a bar trivia question where an answer was trampoline. I remember impressing my friends by knowing that trampoline is actually an olympic sport. The other sports include synchronized diving (who else had a good time watching that at the last olympics?) and the triathlon. Are there any other new sports to think of?
Golf is returning to the program in 2016 in addition to rugby sevens. Neither of which are particularly "new" but they're new-ish, at least to the Games. Golf hasn't been competed at the Olympic level since 1904.
Golf? Brilliant idea, combining the fast-paced excitement of golf with the low-key pensiveness of the Olympics. It's a natural fit, like chess boxing.

Rex
Just for you, Rex:
[murdock]LISTEN KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Anand and Carlsen up and down the board for 4 hours.[/murdock]

Hey, it's not easy pushing pawns with those thick gloves on! Of course, some people prefer the added challenge of speed chess boxing.
OCSam
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:My guess for FJ was beach volleyball. Trampoline is a sport?
Depends on whom you ask. In my book it is one of the increasing number of "Olympic events" that are not really sports for a variety of reasons. Yes, it has been included as an Olympic event, and I got this one correct, although I had to hold my nose to write it down, given the category name.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Which reminds me that we will have no justice/no peace until there is a Making A Snowman competition at the winter Olympics.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Lord, protect us from grammar nazis.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there is a newer event than trampoline, which was added in 2000. In 2008, BMX was added.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

John Boy wrote:
Depends on whom you ask. In my book it is one of the increasing number of "Olympic events" that are not really sports for a variety of reasons. Yes, it has been included as an Olympic event, and I got this one correct, although I had to hold my nose to write it down, given the category name.
More on this later, but for Olympic purposes, a "sport" consists of all events sanctioned by the same international federation. Trampolining is sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique, which also sanctions gymnastics events. So, technically, gymnastics is the sport and trampolining is a discipline. In common parlance, it's a separate sport, though. And as your post illustrates, some people consider it just an activity.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:This was a horribly-worded final. Trampoline isn't a sport in of itself. It's a discipline within the sport of gymnastics.
That gave me pause, but I still thought it made the most sense, improper terminology aside.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

John Boy wrote:
At least it's better than dressage.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Johnblue wrote:I've always liked Hey 19 & My Old School. Green Day - now that's a sucky band!

This is the first of 15 FJs that I've missed. Aw, not exactly the best way to phrase it but anyway, my streak is over. As is Andy's. I kind of liked the guy; in fact, he resembles me in appearance. Gaslight, Isle of Man, others had me flummoxed when missed but overall, a return to smarts after yesterday's disaster!
Green Day kicks ass! :x
Got FJ even before the clue.
I got Gaslight (never heard it as a verb).
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

OrangeSAM wrote: FWIW, the NBC Olympics site lists Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Trampoline as three different sports.
NBC may have financial obligations to the IOC, but they clearly feel no obligation to distinguish 'sports', 'events' and 'disciplines'(with rare exceptions, like some athlete going from distance running to sprinting, or vice versa).
Contrast this with CBS's contract with Augusta national to air the Mastrs, where they must use language approved by the club, never referring to 'fans' or 'spectators', but rather 'patrons'.
NBC has said that 'events' of different 'disciplines' 'fall under the jurisdiction/control of' the international federation of whatever sport is involved. Otherwise, they use 'event' and 'sport' interchangeably.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Surprised so few people seemed to get trampoline. I know you normally want to wager based on the scores and not put too much thought into the category, but in this case, the category narrowed it down a lot. There have only been a few recent Olympic sports; if you know what they were, bet a lot, and trampoline is an instaget. If you don't know what they are, don't bet a lot, and be happy with your bet when you didn't know trampoline is an Olympic sport.

It certainly helped that I read this article just a day before:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_ci ... ames_.html
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

soxfan99 wrote:Surprised so few people seemed to get trampoline. I know you normally want to wager based on the scores and not put too much thought into the category, but in this case, the category narrowed it down a lot. There have only been a few recent Olympic sports; if you know what they were, bet a lot, and trampoline is an instaget. If you don't know what they are, don't bet a lot, and be happy with your bet when you didn't know trampoline is an Olympic sport.

It certainly helped that I read this article just a day before:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_ci ... ames_.html

Do you recall the Trinidadian Amateur ichthyologist category? Maybe you're on to something.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Johnblue wrote:This is the first of 15 FJs that I've missed. Aw, not exactly the best way to phrase it but anyway, my streak is over. As is Andy's. I kind of liked the guy; in fact, he resembles me in appearance. Gaslight, Isle of Man, others had me flummoxed when missed but overall, a return to smarts after yesterday's disaster!
it broke a long FJ streak for me, too (i think 13). and it was a real facepalm upon reveal; definitely should've had it. on the other hand, it was a great show with three very good players all playing well, and good boards to boot.

i consider plays & playwrights to be something of a wheelhouse, so i have to fess up to going only 2/5 on broadway plays. and these really only required that you'd heard of the plays! super-tough category, i thought, although most of my drama knowledge is somewhat older (i'm pretty shaky after about o'neill).
abaggarly

Post by abaggarly »

HI everyone,

I've enjoyed your discussion of the past few episodes. Thanks for the invitation from trainman to join you here.

Clearing up a couple things: I'm not entirely sure, since I was half-apoplectic at the time, but as I recall the coordinators told us that a first and last name would be required for the TV fictional character. So I think they were in the right to rule against Prudence. I actually pre-called either a Family Ties or Cosby Show character here.

They stopped tape two other times during my run. Once was when I gave the answer "wolfman" to the lycanthrope question (I've seen too many Abbott and Costello movies, I guess). Initially I was ruled incorrect and Zach rang in with werewolf. They stopped tape at that point, ruled my answer was acceptable and took away the money from Zach. The other time was during my DJ when I got totally confused by the wording of the clue about the statue in front of the Louisville courthouse. My first thought was justice, then I figured that was too obvious and maybe they want the sign of the zodiac. I changed my mind midway through giving my answer. This was the only time we saw Mr. Friedman on the stage. After a long review, he told us they were accepting my answer because I changed it before Alex had a chance to rule against me. Needless to say, that was quite a relief.

Yes, I got "bounced" by a trampoline question. You could've given me a week to think and I wouldn't have come up with that. Never knew it was an Olympic sport, and I actually did quite a bit of Olympics review in anticipation of a category since I knew the airdate would be nearer to the Games in London. (I am now hammering out a strongly written letter to the IOC encouraging them to make sumo wrestling a medal sport.)

Going in, I thought only five-time winners got to compete in the TOC. I learned during my taping dates that lesser champions can qualify, and that winning a fourth game would put me in strong contention. I am assuming no three-time winners make the cut?

Regardless, after the way I won the first game, I have no right to any regret anything that happened after that. It was a dream come true.

Cheers!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

abaggarly wrote: Going in, I thought only five-time winners got to compete in the TOC. I learned during my taping dates that lesser champions can qualify, and that winning a fourth game would put me in strong contention. I am assuming no three-time winners make the cut?
It's been rare lately; the last three ToCs have comprised (besides college/teachers' tournament winners) people who have won four or more games. But the three before those saw nine three-timers (total) in competition, and 2006's (which had a record five) was even won by a 3xer. From 1985 to 2003, three 3xers competed in ToCs: in 1993, 1998, and 1999.
abaggarly wrote: Regardless, after the way I won the first game, I have no right to any regret anything that happened after that. It was a dream come true.
Nice attitude. It's pleasant when you can use an unusual occurrence to reframe a near miss as the greatest fluke ever. (Winning this game is mine.)

Good games. I loved your first victory, and you were enjoyable to watch throughout.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

abaggarly wrote:They stopped tape two other times during my run. Once was when I gave the answer "wolfman" to the lycanthrope question (I've seen too many Abbott and Costello movies, I guess). Initially I was ruled incorrect and Zach rang in with werewolf. They stopped tape at that point, ruled my answer was acceptable and took away the money from Zach.
Which really struck me as odd when I was watching it. Where do they think that lycanthrope comes from? Lycan=lukos=wolf and thrope=anthropos=man. How was that not anticipated?

Still a chance that we may see you in the ToC, but you're more than welcome to stick around, regardless. Congrats!
abaggarly

Post by abaggarly »

Well then, I guess I'm rooting for two-time champions to bite the dust!

Interesting little anecdote: Back in March when I was studying for the taping, I was going through the World Almanac and was inspired to post the following update to my Facebook page:
The World Almanac is fascinating. For instance, under Olympic medal winners, it lists an event called "Swedish exercises" that was held in 1912 and 1920. Won both times by ... Sweden.

Also, I did not realize you could win a medal for "individual synchronized swimming." How does that work, exactly?
A few days after the taping, I went back to the almanac. What was listed immediately above Swedish exercises? Yep. Trampoline.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

abaggarly wrote:Also, I did not realize you could win a medal for "individual synchronized swimming." How does that work, exactly?
I hear Shirley Ardell Mason was really good at it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
abaggarly wrote:Also, I did not realize you could win a medal for "individual synchronized swimming." How does that work, exactly?
I hear Shirley Ardell Mason was really good at it.
And Natalie Wood was not.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

OrangeSAM wrote:

The Olympics operate under a 3-tiered system of "sport-discipline-event".
Sport: Gymnastics
Discipline: Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Rhythmic Gymnastics
Event: Artistic Gymnastics, Women's Individual All-Around.

In fact, it was worded to the point where the correct response isn't actually correct - there is no correct response to the clue, and I believe we need to see a returning contestant or two here!
FWIW, the NBC Olympics site lists Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Trampoline as three different sports.
Just one more reason why I believe your country to be horribly short-changed when it comes to Olympic coverage. :)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan