Thursday, July 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6429, 2012-07-26

CONTESTANTS
Leo Lopez, a psychiatrist from Brooklyn, New York
Lori Hohenleitner, an executive director for a nonprofit from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Doug Thornton, an information technology manager from Chesterfield, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: thank you, Johnny. thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm a little concerned. I started off yesterday's program by commenting on our returning champion. I said that one word that would describe him was "solid", and he lost the game to Doug. So, Doug, I'm not gonna say anything at all about you today except welcome, Lori and Leo, and wish all three of you good luck. Let's go to work. Here come the categories for this first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STUPID ANSWERS: MOVIES (5/5)
QUOTES OF THE 2010s (5/5)
SHAKESPEARE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY (4/5)
THE CIVIL WAR BY THE NUMBERS (4/5)
DO YOU KNOW THE "LING"O? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Doug: 10 R, 1 W
Lori: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Leo: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leo found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Doug had $600, Lori had $200, and Leo was at $600. Leo wagered $1,000.

SHAKESPEARE $600: Shakespeare's 37 plays are traditionally classified into 3 groups: comedies, tragedies & these

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lori: $5,200
Leo: $1,200
Doug: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Leo Lopez is a psychiatrist from Brooklyn, New York, whose childhood hero was a famous basketball player.

Leo: That's right. My childhood hero's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Alex: He wasn't called Kareem then, was he?

Leo: He--

Alex: Oh, wait a minute. You're pretty young. He might have--

Leo: He was called Kareem then. Uh, thank you. Uh... [laughs] uh, you know, I was, uh, when I was 6 years old, I had to start wearing glasses, and there weren't a lot of, uh, bespectacled athletic heroes back then, so, um, Kareem was sort of an idol to me. And, uh, I've been a Lakers fan ever since my childhood.

Alex: Well, we're a big fan of his, as you know. He has appeared in three of our, uh, special tournaments.

Alex: Lori Hohenleitner from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, has big ideas for travel, but...

[Lori sighs.]

Alex: ...especially likes...

Lori: Uh, wine country. California wine country to be specific.

Alex: Why California?

Lori: Oh, I don't know. I think we just started drinking a lot of good cabernets and a good, uh, a lot of good wines from the Central Coast and just fell in love. And Sideways didn't hurt. I went on a girlfriends' trip there once, and, um, lots of times to Napa and Sonoma.

Alex: I'm going to visit your wine country.

Lori: Excellent. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Doug Thornton from Chesterfield, Virginia. A shop owner in Korea--

[Doug laughs.]

Alex: --on a visit there didn't want to sell our champion a pair of jeans that he wanted to buy. Why not?

Doug: Uh, well, I thought it was just a language barrier. He didn't like the color I picked. I picked red because this was the time of Sammy Hagar and the red rocker, and--and, uh, finally, after basically a standoff, he just relented and sold them to me. So to spite him, I wore them out of the shop and back to my hotel, where I discovered that they were ladies jeans.

[Laughter]

Alex: Don't mess--the lesson--don't mess with Korean shopkeepers. They know best, just like your mom.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $800: Although this German company created an electric shaver in 1938, WWII delayed its introduction until 1951
(Lori: What is Gillette?)
(Doug: What is Schick?)

THE CIVIL WAR BY THE NUMBERS $400: According to the prisoner exchange agreement of July 1862, 60 privates could be exchanged for one of these officers

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Doug: $5,000
Lori: $5,000
Leo: $4,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BARONS & BARONESSES (1/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRANSPORTATION (3/5)
CELEBRITY RHYME TIME (4/5)
GIVE 'EM HEALTH! (5/5)
BIBLICAL WIFERY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LESSER-KNOWN GREEKS & ROMANS? (5/5) (Alex: And in that one, they really are lesser-known, however, to help you out, I will tell you that each correct response ends in U-S. Those are the letters.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Leo: 14 R, 1 W
Doug: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Lori: 3 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lori snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Doug had $8,200, Lori had $6,600, and Leo was at $11,600. Lori wagered $2,500.

BIBLICAL WIFERY $1200: Laban promises this daughter to Jacob as a wife but substitutes Leah for her at the last minute

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Doug who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Doug had $9,000, Lori had $7,900, and Leo was at $19,600. Doug wagered $7,000.

BARONS & BARONESSES $1600: Rudolf Erich Raspe wrote a 1785 booklet of tall tales about him; the real baron disapproved

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITY RHYME TIME $1600: TV judge Simon's wooden rods or pins

TRANSPORTATION $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a crew patch on the monitor.) The crew patch used for the 1992 inaugural flight of this Space Shuttle featured the names of the crew surrounding the depiction of the 18th century ship for which it's named
(Doug: What is the Enterprise?)

TRANSPORTATION $2000: A classic song says, "Then I'd watch the lights 'til they fade away on" this railroad
(Alex: ...with a minute to go, Doug.)

BARONS & BARONESSES $1200: He's the baron who wrote the lines "Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"
(Alex: [*]'s "Charge of the Light Brigade".)

BARONS & BARONESSES $2000: In 1955 this Woolworth heiress married her 6th husband, German tennis star Baron Gottfried von Cramm
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Leo: $19,600
Doug: $16,000
Lori: $7,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Leo: Wager $12,401 to cover Doug.
Doug: Try wagering $199, which is as much as you can put up against Leo without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Lori.
Lori: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Doug, but if Doug decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $700.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The swan boats in Boston's Public Garden were inspired by this opera in which a swan pulls a boat on the Scheldt River

FINAL SCORES
Lori: $7,900 - $2,100 = $5,800 (What is Cinderella?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Doug: $16,000 - $15,000 = $1,000 (What is The Magic Flute) (3rd place: $1,000)
Leo: $19,600 - $12,401 = $7,199 (What is The Flying Dutchman?) (New champion: $7,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Leo: $19,200, 23 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Doug: $10,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lori: $6,600, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Leo: 23/59 = .390
Doug: 16/59 = .271
Lori: 12/59 = .203
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STUPID ANSWERS: MOVIES $800: A dolphin loses its tail in a crab trap in this family film based on a real dolphin named Winter
(Leo: What is Winter?)

DO YOU KNOW THE "LING"O? $400: 6-letter verb meaning to tarry
(Leo: [Sighs] Uh...)
(Alex: Oh, that's too bad.)

THE CIVIL WAR BY THE NUMBERS $800: 12,000 men were involved in this ill-fated July 1863 "Charge" named for a general who sold insurance after the war
(Alex: That is it, with less than a minute to go.)

LESSER-KNOWN GREEKS & ROMANS? $2000: Whenever he was around, people's ears would start to ring
(Alex: Yes. And you pronounced it correctly.)

TRANSPORTATION $1200: Built in 1914, the Belle of Louisville is the oldest continually operating one of these on an American river
(Leo: Uh, what is a showboat?)
(Lori: What is a riverboat?)
(Doug: What is a paddle wheel?)
[Alex accepted Doug's response.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
histories
Braun
a general
Rachel
Baron von Munchausen
Cowell's dowels
the Endeavor
the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe
Tennyson
Barbara Hutton
Lohengrin
Dolphin Tale
linger
Pickett's Charge
Tinnitus
a paddle wheeler (or a steam boat)

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Opera
The swan boats in Boston's public garden were inspired by this opera in which a swan pulls a boat on the Scheldt River.
SpoilerShow
What is Lohengrin? Lori said Cinderella; Doug said The Magic Flute; Leo said The Flying Dutchman.
Leo Lopez: $19,600-$12,401=$7,199...now a 1-day champion with $7,199
Doug Thornton: $16,000-$15,000=$1,000
Lori Hohenleitner: $7,900-$2,100=$5,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 pm

21 today. 14 in the first round and 7 in DJ. I did 3/5 on the Civil War category and swept the Quotes of the 2010s category.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 pm

I think my favorite part of the returning champ's bet was leaving a little bit behind, just in case he was going to need it for the Triple Jeopardy round. Well done, and third's wager turned out to be quite astute, too.

I would have sworn that they've asked about the opera with a swan ---> Lohengrin as an FJ before, but I couldn't find it. A 2011 category where Alex visited the Met did ask more or less the same thing.

The guy who won was crazy fast on the buzzer, though I had difficulty assessing his over strength since I thought the DJ round played very easy, at least during his run. Overall, a game with a Stupid Answers and a cheesy rhyme time and a "Lesser Known Greeks and Romans" is not going to be the most difficult of games. I thought the two tougher questions where the Atchison and the Hutton and they went unanswered.

BTW they did that pet peeve of mine where four answers ended in -ling and one began with it.

And if I see the Stupid Answers category I mine it first - it won't have the DD so you can build up some dollars, THEN bet if you like the Shakespeare category.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Guessed the right opera from the right German composer.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Weird, the forum randomly logged me out even though I have it set to always log me in.

There's always one Stupid Answers that mocks me. In this case, Dolphin Tale since I'd NHOI and was focusing on every word in the clue but "dolphin". (I also didn't even notice that "tale" was in the clue.)

"Nimbus" for "cirrus" cost me the run in the silly Greek/Roman category, but I did sweep Celeb Rhyme Time.

0/5 in Civil War. Anyone else clam on "Stars and bars" because "stars" was in the clue?

Also, how would I know that berry in Health for $800 is blueberry and not any of the other 47,000 kinds of berries?

Not even a guess on FJ! I knew I had no chance since when the right response was revealed, I realized I had always thought it was spelled "Longherin". I sware I'm ton lysdexic.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks a lot Jeopardy! I had 3 instagets Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, why don't you just give me an Opera FJ? Jerks!

I agree with AP that there were a lot of pretty easy clues on tonight's show, so it's hard to tell how sharp Leo is or if he is just super fast on the buzzer.

I don't quite know what to say about the wagers other than...sigh. :cry:

soxfan99
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by soxfan99 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 pm

In the stupid answers category, I was really hoping for: "A movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.'"

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:38 pm

soxfan99 wrote:In the stupid answers category, I was really hoping for: "A movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.'"
What about "That animated sitcom where everyone's the color of French's mustard, the main character is a family with the last name Simpson, the Simpsons are all idiots except Lisa, who's an impossibly high IQ genius, and the Simpsons do all sorts of stuff that's almost never funny?" I think it was called "The animated sitcom I never liked."

Seriously though, I had one of those moments on the transportation. "Oh, those boats with the paddle wheels on them. What are they called again?" Then once I got there, I kept waffling between that and ferry for some reason.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm

soxfan99 wrote:In the stupid answers category, I was really hoping for: "A movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.'"
dOH!

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: Seriously though, I had one of those moments on the transportation. "Oh, those boats with the paddle wheels on them. What are they called again?" Then once I got there, I kept waffling between that and ferry for some reason.
What did they even want on that clue? Was it paddle wheel or was it steamboat? Is riverboat not acceptable for steamboat?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 pm

The champ bails on Shakespeare and then someone else gets the next clue and access to a slam dunk DD, a $2,000 swing.

My betting logic in FJ based on the scores.....

Third place.....No way in Hades am I getting FJ on a sole solve, if I know it, everyone will, including TenPoundHammer. Hey, if the leader makes the MSB, he'll have a little less than me now if he's wrong. And the other guy bet big yesterday for no good reason. So even though he has me locked out now, I can beat him if he goes crazy again today. So by betting small, I'm assured of second on a TS and have a good chance of winning. I think I'll go for a nice round number like $10,000.

Second place......I know zilch about opera, so if I know it, that other dude will too. I have a slight lock for second, so if I stand pat I'm guaranteed $2,000 and can win it all if the other guy misses. I'm betting big.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Bamaman wrote:The champ bails on Shakespeare and then someone else gets the next clue and access to a slam dunk DD, a $2,000 swing.

My betting logic in FJ based on the scores.....

Third place.....No way in Hades am I getting FJ on a sole solve, if I know it, everyone will, including TenPoundHammer. Hey, if the leader makes the MSB, he'll have a little less than me now if he's wrong. And the other guy bet big yesterday for no good reason. So even though he has me locked out now, I can beat him if he goes crazy again today. So by betting small, I'm assured of second on a TS and have a good chance of winning. I think I'll go for a nice round number like $10,000.

Second place......I know zilch about opera, so if I know it, that other dude will too. I have a slight lock for second, so if I stand pat I'm guaranteed $2,000 and can win it all if the other guy misses. I'm betting big.

exactly what i was thinking on the FJ wagers. For the champ to bet that big is absurd, unless you know it or feel confident like how he was for the 2nd DD. 15k on something on a whim is a poor decision. anything to just get over what the leader had would be sufficient.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd have bet $800 on the DD. If I'm right, I'm in a lock tie for second with very little time left. If I'm wrong I might be able to nab the $2,000 clue and break the lock.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Bamaman wrote:I'd have bet $800 on the DD. If I'm right, I'm in a lock tie for second with very little time left. If I'm wrong I might be able to nab the $2,000 clue and break the lock.
The funny thing about that DD wager was that even if he had picked up the final clue for $2000 after getting the DD right, he would have still trailed the leader, since for some reason he "only" bet $7000 of his $9000 on the DD. If you're going to bet that much, you might as well bet it all, since the game is essentially over if you miss. Even if you want to ensure that you stick around for FJ, you could bet $8900 or so.

If I had followed Bamaman's strategy and gotten myself into a lock tie entering FJ, I would be extremely pissed off to see OPERA come up on that board. ;)

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:54 pm

jeff6286 wrote:Is riverboat not acceptable for steamboat?
I'm pretty sure both "river" and "boat" were in the clue.

What was with the second- and third-place wagers? If either one makes the correct wager, he/she wins. Does every contestant go on the show just assuming he/she will be leading going into FJ? This isn't rocket science, folks. Unless, of course, the category is "Rocket Science."

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:What about "That animated sitcom where everyone's the color of French's mustard, the main character is a family with the last name Simpson, the Simpsons are all idiots except Lisa, who's an impossibly high IQ genius. . .
Lisa Simpson "an impossibly high IQ genius"? Nonsense. I bet at least 10% of the folks on these Boards think she's pretty nearly a realistic portrayal of themselves at her age. As an adult she'd probably just squeak into the SHC ToC, then promptly get demolished by the likes of AP and DJDave.

Also, the only Simpson who is an idiot is Homer. (Well, maybe Abe.) And French's mustard is at least a full shade darker.

This would have been the appropriate situation in which to abstain from writing anything because you were 99.99% likely not to be correct.

Rex

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What about "That animated sitcom where everyone's the color of French's mustard, the main character is a family with the last name Simpson, the Simpsons are all idiots except Lisa, who's an impossibly high IQ genius. . .
Lisa Simpson "an impossibly high IQ genius"? Nonsense. I bet at least 10% of the folks on these Boards think she's pretty nearly a realistic portrayal of themselves at her age. As an adult she'd probably just squeak into the SHC ToC, then promptly get demolished by the likes of AP and DJDave.
I agree :)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 pm

And for the 2nd night in a row -- not if you gave me a month to come up with responses.