Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Super Bowl category was handled nicely with all three players scoring in it. As a Vikings fan I could do without seeing Giants, Packers and Saints in succession since they have all had a hand in hurting my team's chances to even get to another one.
I don't think it was the Giants, Packers, and Saints that hurt your chances ... just saying. ;)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The Super Bowl category was handled nicely with all three players scoring in it. As a Vikings fan I could do without seeing Giants, Packers and Saints in succession since they have all had a hand in hurting my team's chances to even get to another one.
I don't think it was the Giants, Packers, and Saints that hurt your chances ... just saying. ;)
Yeah, it's a single person in two of the cases. This season either the Redskins, Panthers, or Vikings will make noise as the NFL likes things jumbled around each season. I don't even want to think about the Lions truly having their act together now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After yesterday's shrinking DD bets, every one today was worth $2,000.

You could see the wind depart from Ryan's sails during Alex's remarks after the FJ time was up.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Tripped up on the first clue because I keep thinking that Saturn isn't the only planet with rings,
It isn't, but a top-row "name the planet" clue with "ring" in it will probably refer to Saturn. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_ring
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why do I keep thinking Kilimanjaro is in Japan when that doesn't sound remotely Japanese jklwehrkljewhrklj
(typecase of quote converted)

Actually, as Alex would say, "not a bad guess", I never thought about it myself, but now that you brought it up, it could be mistaken for Japanese, Japanese words usually end in a vowel (so much so that personal names, like, for example, Bush, are translated to end with a vowel sound, even though names are often left untranslated - so Bush becomes Bushhu (or ブッシュ) in Japanese)). It's certainly a reasonable guess and [beating a dead horse]not worth getting upset about[/beating a dead horse]
Volante wrote:29/30 in DJ. *shakes fist* Damn you Fairly Odd Parents!!!
Missed that one too (although I got a little less than 29/30) - I have even more reason to be embarassed as both my kids are huge fans of the show and, since it's on right before bedtime, they're usually watching it before then - I must have personally seen most of the episodes by now. (So, what do I answer? "Fairy Godparents" :oops: Perhaps I should have said that like Mr. Crocker does on the show ... )

Judges: Need a ruling on the first DD in the DJ! round (the one in the History category): Given was "Oregon Trail", I answered "Lewis and Clark Trail"? Good enough, or wrong trail?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Again, that was a very smart group of children. Congratulations (as if you actually use this board). William Herschel discovered Uranus? Very impressive get; I didn't learn that until late high school, and I got it wrong tonight. You knew that a pantry used to be an actual room, and you remembered your superbowl winners. I thought the 2006 game was the Bears-Colts matchup. On top of that, you had the presence of mind to move around the board in a random fashion, with good manners also.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Why do I keep thinking Kilimanjaro is in Japan when that doesn't sound remotely Japanese jklwehrkljewhrklj
(typecase of quote converted)

Actually, as Alex would say, "not a bad guess", I never thought about it myself, but now that you brought it up, it could be mistaken for Japanese, Japanese words usually end in a vowel (so much so that personal names, like, for example, Bush, are translated to end with a vowel sound, even though names are often left untranslated - so Bush becomes Bushhu (or ブッシュ) in Japanese)). It's certainly a reasonable guess and [beating a dead horse]not worth getting upset about[/beating a dead horse]
Another confusing African term that I think ought to be Japanese, is the name of the Kenyan ethnic group, the Kikuyu, who seem to have been the instigators of the Mau Mau rebellion. It sounds so much like Japanese, doesn't it? Is there a pattern here? Maybe the Polynesians had a presence in Africa as well as in Japan? I think the Polynesians traveled quite far. What was that place where Jared Diamond said, finding Polynesians there, would be like finding Swedes in America?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Add me to those who also misplace Kilimanjaro. My son used to love Fairly Odd Parents and I thought it was pretty funny. But he's past that stage so the titles blew pass me. I also thought of orchestra pit, but didn't click the pen since it didn't fit the other part of the clue. I thought of mesh but clammed.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Seems a little tough to misplace a continental superlative. Tallest mountain, longest river, largest lake, most populous city, etc, are all things you should know for each continent.
What do you think the tallest mountain in Africa is, if not Kilimanjaro?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:Add me to those who also misplace Kilimanjaro.
I guess nobody reads Funky Winkerbean anymore?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Or listens to Toto.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote: Judges: Need a ruling on the first DD in the DJ! round (the one in the History category): Given was "Oregon Trail", I answered "Lewis and Clark Trail"? Good enough, or wrong trail?
Right trail, but you probably would have been negged then credited upon judge review. The westward expansion trails are typically known by their termination points.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Why in the world do you root for the Vikings?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Or listens to Toto.

Brian
*nod* That's how I first learned to keep it straight.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:Seems a little tough to misplace a continental superlative. Tallest mountain, longest river, largest lake, most populous city, etc, are all things you should know for each continent.
What do you think the tallest mountain in Africa is, if not Kilimanjaro?
That's the other thing. I just don't think of mountains as belonging in Africa.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vanya wrote:
Why in the world do you root for the Vikings?
I guess I've only done this on the old board?

When I first started following football I was around 9 and it was the Vikings with purple, the horns and Fran Tarkenton that caught my attention even more than the undefeated Dolphins. I thought it could never get worse than Csonka and Co. winning SB VIII followed by the Steelers defeating the Vikings in a closer game the following year.

More boring details about misery of following Vikings.
Spoiler
Before even getting to the heartbreak of Super XI with the Raiders it was Drew (@&$*#) Pearson of the Cowboys grabbing a hail Mary pass.

At the time of January 1977 I never could have realized that 35 years later the Vikings would not have made it to another Super Bowl. Each season my dreams are dashed at some point, some later than others.

NFC championship 1978 another Cowboys victory, 1988 Redskins turn, 1999 - Falcons 30-27 overtime in Minnseota after Vikings kicker Gary Anderson missed his only field goal of the season, 2001 - Giants 41, Vikings 0 - I stayed home from church to watch and didn't miss another Sunday service until my gallstone problem in late March this year, 2010 Saints 31-28 overtime after #4 threw late interception instead of running with the ball to set up potential winning FG.
When the 49ers won their five Super Bowls I was happy since I have lived in San Francisco all my life, but they have never been my number one team. My dad was born in Cincinnati and also spent time living in Detroit. When the navy landed him here before I was born he kept some of his old team allegiances and picked up a new one in having season tickets later for the 49ers at Kezar then Candlestick. Without the homegrown ties my dad was not the kind of father to make me a 49ers fan with no other option.

I was free to discover teams and players on my own and make my own rooting interests. Between TV and trading cards I was exposed to the whole league. It's the Vikings for me even though I've never been any closer to Minnesota than Lake Tahoe. My younger brother more of a casual sports fan picked up on the Steelers thanks to their Bradshaw/Lambert years in the Super Bowl. Same thing - If my brother wanted a piece of Steelers clothing at the holidays my parents had no problem with it.

So that is why I root for the Vikings and however bad I have it as a fan I know Cubs fans and Bills fans have it worse.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

MarkBarrett wrote:When I first started following football I was around 9 and it was the Vikings with purple, the horns and Fran Tarkenton that caught my attention even more than the undefeated Dolphins. I thought it could never get worse than Csonka and Co. winning SB VIII followed by the Steelers defeating the Vikings in a closer game the following year....I was free to discover teams and players on my own and make my own rooting interests. Between TV and trading cards I was exposed to the whole league. It's the Vikings for me even though I've never been any closer to Minnesota than Lake Tahoe. My younger brother more of a casual sports fan picked up on the Steelers thanks to their Bradshaw/Lambert years in the Super Bowl. Same thing - If my brother wanted a piece of Steelers clothing at the holidays my parents had no problem with it.

So that is why I root for the Vikings and however bad I have it as a fan I know Cubs fans and Bills fans have it worse.
Weird coincidence: my two brothers picked similarly when growing up. The older of the two is a Vikings fan. I was able to get him an Alan Page autograph recently. The younger brother was a Steelers fan. My family moved a lot before I was born, so they never had enough time to build up any loyalty by location. They had settled down by the time I was in elementary school, so I adopted all the Philly teams. I remember a Christmas pic from when they were in elementary school, one in a Vikings sweatshirt, the other in his Steelers sweatshirt, me in tears because I didn't get a matching Eagles sweatshirt.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'd like to see "mesh" on the weekly poll. I pulled it, but maybe not in time to have made the decision to buzz in, had I been at one of the lecterns.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got "mesh".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I got "mesh".
so the poll will go 100% less econgator? ;)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I was about to offer a "that's CRA-zy tawk!" post to econgator's "WTF mesh?" post because I was very used to seeing it on caps. But then I thought about it, and realized I mostly wear only one, my Yankees cap, which has it. So I checked about 10 others that I had (2002 SLC Olympics, Jeopardy!, Niagara Falls, Mark Music, etc...) Not a single other one has it.
The Yankees cap, though, it's almost 50% of the top, practically the whole back half. Certainly helps keep air circulating!