Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by debramc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Paucle wrote:I was about to offer a "that's CRA-zy tawk!" post to econgator's "WTF mesh?" post because I was very used to seeing it on caps. But then I thought about it, and realized I mostly wear only one, my Yankees cap, which has it. So I checked about 10 others that I had (2002 SLC Olympics, Jeopardy!, Niagara Falls, Mark Music, etc...) Not a single other one has it.
The Yankees cap, though, it's almost 50% of the top, practically the whole back half. Certainly helps keep air circulating!
As a female nerd I've only ever owned three ballcaps (UT, TCU and my beloved Jeopardy cap) and they are all nice fabric, no mesh. And my husband has a couple that are either denim or leather with no mesh. But the rest of his, as well as the 20+ my grandpa had, are pretty much all of the 50% mesh style. I used to think that's the only way they came. I think they used to just be more practical caps for guys who work outdoors, where the mesh is very useful, but they've gotten nicer-looking as men rarely wear "real" hats anymore but still seem to want to cover up their heads.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 pm

OK, since everyone else is doing it (posting their thoughts on "mesh") I will too. Never let it be said I don't bow to peer pressure.

I don't know if I would have gotten mesh had my wife not won a ballcap recently which I really liked, 90% of it (including half the front) was a nylon mesh (it was from a running and fitness store, so I'm guessing it's to help the head "breathe". To be honest, another big factor in my getting it was the "four letter" requirement of the clue; I honestly don't know if I would have got it if both elements weren't there.

(And debra, I hate wearing ballcaps (or any kind of hats, really), never attributed it to my nerdiness. (I think I've mentioned here before that when I play characters in a play, I like it if my character is wearing a hat (as a lot of them have), because then that gives me a clear distinction in my mind when I'm "in character" - if I have a hat on. A hat is something David would never wear, but Character always wears. (I have an equally sparse collection of ballcaps of my own though, my most beloved of them is a genuine beanie (ie the one with the propellor on top) that a friend once gave to me as a gift.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I don't wear hats because a.) my head is bigger than a beanbag chair, and b.) my hair grows about 8 inches a day. So there aren't many hats that would fit on my head.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm

It must be fascinating for Jeopardy! employees to see our board and what can create post traffic out of the 61 clues. Each night it's always interesting which clue gets us going.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 pm

dhkendall, you dropped this --> )
:lol:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 am

debramc wrote:
Paucle wrote:I was about to offer a "that's CRA-zy tawk!" post to econgator's "WTF mesh?" post because I was very used to seeing it on caps. But then I thought about it, and realized I mostly wear only one, my Yankees cap, which has it. So I checked about 10 others that I had (2002 SLC Olympics, Jeopardy!, Niagara Falls, Mark Music, etc...) Not a single other one has it.
The Yankees cap, though, it's almost 50% of the top, practically the whole back half. Certainly helps keep air circulating!
As a female nerd I've only ever owned three ballcaps (UT, TCU and my beloved Jeopardy cap) and they are all nice fabric, no mesh. And my husband has a couple that are either denim or leather with no mesh. But the rest of his, as well as the 20+ my grandpa had, are pretty much all of the 50% mesh style. I used to think that's the only way they came. I think they used to just be more practical caps for guys who work outdoors, where the mesh is very useful, but they've gotten nicer-looking as men rarely wear "real" hats anymore but still seem to want to cover up their heads.
I only have two caps with me now: my Half-Life 2 cap and my Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb cap, neither are mesh. But I think back when I was a scorekeeper for my HS baseball team that cap was mesh. Somehow I had enough experience with them back in the days I was a bigger baseball fan too that I could safely guess mesh. (Maybe my Giants cap?...I think I have a Giants one from when I went to Candlestick...if I do, it's in storage in Wisconsin... )

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 am

I didn't get mesh. I thought about jokingly saying "bill."

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am

I said vent instead of mesh, and since both have 4 letters, I think they might have accepted it. That is what the mesh is there for, to serve as a vent, right?

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Yeah, it's a single person in two of the cases. This season either the Redskins, Panthers, or Vikings will make noise as the NFL likes things jumbled around each season. I don't even want to think about the Lions truly having their act together now.
Yeah, go ahead and put your hex on my team (Wash.), too.
MarkBarrett wrote:...I know Cubs fans and Bills fans have it worse.
I know. I married a Bills fan. And wouldn't you know it, the first SB after we met was Washington v. Buffalo.
dhkendall wrote:OK, since everyone else is doing it (posting their thoughts on "mesh") I will too. Never let it be said I don't bow to peer pressure.
"Mesh"? Meh. Got it and didn't think much about it.
OCSam

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:The Super Bowl category was handled nicely with all three players scoring in it. As a Vikings fan I could do without seeing Giants, Packers and Saints in succession since they have all had a hand in hurting my team's chances to even get to another one.
Look on the bright side, you got who is, undeniably, the most entertaining punter in existence.

http://deadspin.com/chris-kluwe/

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The Super Bowl category was handled nicely with all three players scoring in it. As a Vikings fan I could do without seeing Giants, Packers and Saints in succession since they have all had a hand in hurting my team's chances to even get to another one.
I don't think it was the Giants, Packers, and Saints that hurt your chances ... just saying. ;)
Yeah, it's a single person in two of the cases. This season either the Redskins, Panthers, or Vikings will make noise as the NFL likes things jumbled around each season. I don't even want to think about the Lions truly having their act together now.
I think I heard some noise today, five months later.