Wednesday, August 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

British Scientists
In 1859 a theory was born when he wrote, "From so simple a beginning endless forms...have been, and are being, evolved."
SpoilerShow
Who is Charles Darwin? Andrew had no guess.
Julia Martinez: $25,800+$1,000=$26,800
Partha Purushotham: $9,200+$9,000=$18,200
Andrew Grace: $7,400-$6,999=$401
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Three observations in Facts & Numbers:

* The skin is an organ?
* I said Tsunami for tidal wave. I have a feeling this would've been negged overturned, as Wikipedia says that tsumanis are sometimes called tidal waves despite it being a misnomer.
* Any way I'd know that the Atacama desert is in South America? I had NHOI before, and didn't see anything even remotely hinting to South America.

Saul's robe cut by David? Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Beatrix Potter was a little tough for kids' week. The first 4 could at least be teased out (despite me totally whiffing on Squirrel Nutkin, then clamming on Bunny because they already had rabbit), but Town Mouse seemed outright opaque.

And once again I'm denied a 5/5 in what should be a wheelhouse (Snowy in this case — I haven't read Tintin in ages, and never saw the movie).

====

Miserable 19/30 in DJ!, thanks in part to a 1/5 in the Politicians category. Greenland also seemed like a coin-flip clue, and as always, I flipped wrong.

Blanked on chlorophyll, potassium and iceberg. The Inch clue stumped me because unit of measure + ounce had me stuck searching through all the other volume measurements even with "twelfth" staring me in the face.

Pop music was a 3/5. WAGged on Allstar Weekend, NHO Greyson Chance or Cody Simpson.

====

A little worried when I couldn't muster a precall on FJ!, but "theory" was all I needed.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Global warming and the theory of relativity in a five minute span? Look for the Sony board to heat up again.

My only precall was Lord Kelvin. Still an instaget, but one again not an insult to the kids' intelligence.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Bamaman wrote:Global warming and the theory of relativity in a five minute span? Look for the Sony board to heat up again.

My only precall was Lord Kelvin. Still an instaget, but one again not an insult to the kids' intelligence.
THe $5K wager by the leader on the second DD when the scores were something like $7k-$20800-$7k meant a miss could have cost her the lock game, and they would have as the third player got the last two clues IIRC. Luckily she didn't miss that or FJ! in the first lock game of the week.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:55 pm

In a regular game, I'd have brought that up, but I give the kids a break.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Beatrix Potter was a little tough for kids' week.
You know she's a children's author, right?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 pm

marpocky wrote:
Yes. But this generation likely has no idea who she is. If the same questions were asked on the adult version, I'm sure they would at least recognize the titles from their childhood. I can't really thing of something that would work the other way, because there don't seem to be any recent "children's" book series that don't have significant adult fanbases.

Also, they had a clue on Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, which was canceled in February (because it sucked). Way to go.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

marpocky wrote:
As a former teacher (who still works in education), I have to agree, this was a bit hard. Her books were written 100 years ago, and while they are definitely classics I rarely see them read in schools anymore, either as part of the curriculum or by children in their free time. Maybe Peter Rabbit, but not the others. I bombed the category (even though I think I read a few of them in the 80s) and I'm not surprised the kids did too.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Three observations in Facts & Numbers:
* The skin is an organ?
* I said Tsunami for tidal wave. I have a feeling this would've been negged overturned, as Wikipedia says that tsumanis are sometimes called tidal waves despite it being a misnomer.
* Any way I'd know that the Atacama desert is in South America? I had NHOI before, and didn't see anything even remotely hinting to South America.
Yes, the body's largest.
Tsunami was correct. Not tidal wave.
Yes- by knowing your superlatives. It's the largest desert on the continent.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:* Any way I'd know that the Atacama desert is in South America? I had NHOI before, and didn't see anything even remotely hinting to South America.
Yes- by knowing your superlatives. It's the largest desert on the continent.
That, plus the fact that the name looks and sounds Spanish.
Last edited by Magna on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Atacama doesn't really look Spanish to me.

So Africa has mountains and South America has a desert. I guess I didn't take much geography in high school, either.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 pm

lisa0012 wrote:
marpocky wrote:
As a former teacher (who still works in education), I have to agree, this was a bit hard. Her books were written 100 years ago, and while they are definitely classics I rarely see them read in schools anymore, either as part of the curriculum or by children in their free time. Maybe Peter Rabbit, but not the others. I bombed the category (even though I think I read a few of them in the 80s) and I'm not surprised the kids did too.
Yeah. I didn't get them all, but the ones I did were because I watched the Renee Zellweger movie about Potter within the last several months (nothing to do one afternoon & it was on TV. I really enjoyed it, though.)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Atacama has 17 hits in the archive. There may have been a time I didn't know it, but by now it's easy.

The first break allowed me time to brainstorm Potter. I was ready for Rabbit, Squirrel and Bunny. Duck was a recall once I saw the clue. Mouse was not going to happen.

Pop Music had me doing repetitive can't work responses:
Greyson Chance - Oh, that's the guy that Ellen signed to her record label.
Cody Simpson - Oh, that's the guy on Punk'd who was robbed of his Christmas stuff.

Their names were not going to happen in J! time.

Ounce/inch was familiar from inputting this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3947 Word Origins $500

The FJ clue was at Kids Week level, so perfect. 2/3 got it and the leader got paid.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Saul's robe cut by David? Whaaaaaaaaaat?
1 Samuel 24. Read it. (Thought you played in a church every Sunday?) I like the passage because it has one of the Bible's moments of levity in it (basically David snuck up on Saul to cut his robe while Saul was going to the bathroom. (Hey, it was the 10th century BC, the Three Stooges weren't invented yet!)) The Moral Of The Story was that David was trying to show Saul that he could have killed him, but he just cut his robe instead, to show him that even though they were fighting tooth and nail at the time, he still respected Saul as king.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Pop music was a 3/5. WAGged on Allstar Weekend, NHO Greyson Chance or Cody Simpson.
2/5 more than I got. The TOM helped me guess Allstar Weekend, but I'd never heard at all of any of those bands, including Allstar Weekend. (To be fair, my almost 10 year old daughter didn't know any of them either, but at least she knew that the Bieber guess was wrong.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:
Yes. But this generation likely has no idea who she is. If the same questions were asked on the adult version, I'm sure they would at least recognize the titles from their childhood. I can't really thing of something that would work the other way, because there don't seem to be any recent "children's" book series that don't have significant adult fanbases.
Let me be the second to support TPH on this one - of the two adults and one kid in the room, no one knew the majority of those from our fourth podium as well. (I knew Peter Rabbit, precalled as the $200, as well as Squirrel Nutkin, but that's it). My daughter hasn't read the books. I remember my grandmother and mother reading them to me when I was little, but that was so long ago now ...
TenPoundHammer wrote:So Africa has mountains and South America has a desert. I guess I didn't take much geography in high school, either.
Was going to mention this in yesterday's thread, but since you're here now ...

Africa doesn't have much mountains as you probably guessed (mostly either jungle, desert, or savannah). The Atlas Mountains in the northwest (Morocco/Algeria) and Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is all the show would really ask about African mountains. Kilimanjaro actually isn't part of a mountain range, like most mountains; it just sticks up on its own from the Serengeti. It is the world's highest free-standing mountain, actually.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:So Africa has mountains and South America has a desert. I guess I didn't take much geography in high school, either.
Just for fun, can you guess which is the only continent that doesn't have a desert? (Don't say Antarctica.)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 pm

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Saul's robe cut by David? Whaaaaaaaaaat?
1 Samuel 24. Read it. (Thought you played in a church every Sunday?) I like the passage because it has one of the Bible's moments of levity in it (basically David snuck up on Saul to cut his robe while Saul was going to the bathroom. (Hey, it was the 10th century BC, the Three Stooges weren't invented yet!)) The Moral Of The Story was that David was trying to show Saul that he could have killed him, but he just cut his robe instead, to show him that even though they were fighting tooth and nail at the time, he still respected Saul as king.)
Yeah, I think I'd remember that if we ever covered it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 am

Magna wrote:Just for fun, can you guess which is the only continent that doesn't have a desert? (Don't say Antarctica.)
Assuming you were addressing TPH directly, I'll spoiler it
SpoilerShow
Europe has no desert.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 am

I got the bottom row in the Beatrix Potter category not because I've heard of the book, but because I took a WAG based on "Town _____", thinking of the fable of the town mouse and country mouse.